Rep. Tancredo: We'll Stop the 'McKennedy' Immigration Plan

Stephanie

Diamond Member
Jul 11, 2004
Wednesday, April 5, 2006 4:38 p.m. EDT

Today on the Fox News program "Your World" with Neil Cavuto, Congressman Tom Tancredo, R-Colo., said that congress may appear divided on the immigration issue, but that there are enough votes in the Senate to kill what he calls the "McKennedy Plan" for amnesty for illegals.

He told Cavuto, "Right now, it looks like there will be no bill."

"It looks like we will have enough people in the senate to block what I call the 'McKennedy Plan' where, although they want desperately to not call it amnesty - they want to use every word in the world to get around it, to obfuscate - it is amnesty [for illegals]."

Cavuto also asked why there seems to be such divisiveness on the immigration issue, if perhaps it was because elected officials don't want to seem to be anti-Hispanic. Tancredo said that Republicans need to realize that immigration is actually a galvanizing issue.

He told Cavuto, "When you look at where America is on this issue, and the two Democratic governors in Arizona and New Mexico who have declared border emergencies - one of them sends troops to the border," and you "look at the passage of prop 200 in Arizona" that says you can't get social services if you're an illegal, "you would unite this party around an issue that America cares about; it is a uniting factor, not a dividing factor."

Cavuto asked if Tancredo had any plans to in any way legitimize the millions of illegal immigrants already in the U.S., and Tancredo replied, "Absolutely not."

"What would you do" about them, Cavuto asked?

"First of all, here's a radical proposal ... I know some people are going to suggest is just impossible ... how about enforcing the law?" he asked rhetorically.

"How about actually enforcing the law that today is on the books that says, 'Employer, you can't hire people who are here illegally.'

"The borders? They should be secured, we simply choose not to enforce those laws. If you enforce the law - especially with regard to employers - you immediately begin to deal with the issue of how many are here, because millions will go home," he said.

"If you cannot get a job here because you are not in this country legally ... you go home. Those that don't, you deport. Why? It's the law," Tancredo added.

Cavuto then switched gears a little, asking about a recent survey on presidential candidates: "I was interested in reading the 'St. Louis March Madness' poll that had you on top."

Tancredo laughed and said he was as surprised as anyone. Cavuto wondered if Tancredo would run for the White House, to which the border hawk replied, "There are Web sites, and people send me bumper stickers ... if no one will take up this banner, if no one will make this a central part of their campaign for president, yeah, I will do it."

"Am I looking at a presidential candidate?" Cavuto asked.

"I'll bet you ... there will be people out there trying to out-Tancredo Tancredo running for president. And if that's the case, I'm going to be knocking on doors for them."
http://www.newsmax.com/archives/ic/2006/4/5/164007.shtml?s=lh

Forum List

Back