Rep. Luis Gutiérrez warns of last GOP Prez

Statistikhengst

Diamond Member
Nov 21, 2013
deep within the statistical brain!!
Luis Gutiérrez warns of last GOP prez - Jonathan Topaz - POLITICO.com

Democratic Rep. Luis Gutiérrez said Tuesday that if House Republicans don’t help to pass immigration reform in 2014, George W. Bush will be “the last Republican president in American history.”

“Latino voters are repelled, and the loud but small contingent of immigration opponents have backed the Republican Party into a corner that they don’t have the courage to break out of,” the Illinois congressman said in a speech on the House floor. “So, Mr. Speaker, I give you George W. Bush, the man who will go down in history as the last Republican president in American history. Tom Donohue is right: There is a demographic reality that will make Republicans a footnote in history — just like the Whigs and Know-Nothings — unless they do something to get the immigration issue off the table.”

Gutiérrez was referring to U.S. Chamber of Commerce President Tom Donohue, who last week said Republicans “shouldn’t bother to run a candidate in 2016” if Congress doesn’t pass immigration reform this year...

...In his speech Tuesday, Gutiérrez mentioned that the demographic trends of Hispanics in the U.S. make immigration reform a political necessity for both parties. “Latino voters are a force that is growing faster than Republicans can withstand and are tilting more towards the Democrats with each day Republicans stand in the way of stopping deportations that are breaking up immigrant families,” he said.

Appearing alongside a poster with pictures of former Republican Presidents Abraham Lincoln and Bush, Gutiérrez said: “If you do nothing on immigration, I guess you can take comfort in knowing that from Abraham Lincoln to George W. Bush, you had a pretty good run.”

This is somewhat over the top, but Gutiérrez is joining a growing list of people who are warning that the GOP is sealing it's own fate if it does nothing about immigration reform in this year.

What are Latinos gonna do?
Not vote for the GOP in record numbers....

Wait a second!!!

Go ahead.Vote Democrat party.

I'm sure Guitierrez is real concerned over the prospect of never having another Republican president.

Good deal...
Enter this country illegally.
Then threaten us because we are not kissing your ass....

Fuck off.

Illegals get a deal done because the GOP make it happen....
Then what?

Oh yeah...The newly made citizens will vote Democrat....

WTF...

You don't think we have that figured out..

We start doing shit for votes then we don't deserve to govern this country.

Prolly so.

But it doesn't make his observation any less true.

:D

The idea that Hispanics will start voting for Republicans if they jump on board to some kind of amnesty plan is foolhardy. Let's not forget that Ronald Reagan actually granted real, authentic amnesty to 3 million illegals back in 1985 and yet Bush 41 actually received a lower percentage of Hispanic votes when he won in 1988 than Reagan did in both 80 and 84.

Hispanics are going to vote largely Democratic because they support redistributionist policies. Polling has shown repeatedly that people who migrate here from Hispanic nations as well as some Asian nations like Japan do not support our Constitutional ideas of limited government. They want a strong welfare state. Republicans have two choices. Either they cater to that or they make a serious concerted effort to reach out to those groups and convince them that less government is the better way to go.

Last edited:
Good deal...
Enter this country illegally.
Then threaten us because we are not kissing your ass....

Fuck off.

Oh, I do hope the GOP makes you it's 2016 communications director...

...cuz that kind of rhetoric is just oh, so helpful in solving your party's electability problem.

What electability problem?....

Go back to President Grant and look at how many Republican Presidents we have had
then get back to us...

Hispanics are going to vote largely Democratic because they support redistributionist policies. Polling has shown repeatedly that people who migrate here from Hispanic nations as well as many some nations like Japan do not support our Constitutional ideas of limited government. They want a strong welfare state.

All of a sudden Hispanics will vote for Republicans....

Yeah right...

And we get to keep our Doctors and our health care plans....

What electability problem?....

Go back to President Grant and look at how many Republican Presidents we have had
then get back to us...

The demographics of this country have changed quite a bit in the last 20 years, so that's hardly a reliable indicator, but I do agree that Republicans do not have an electability problem, at least not now, but that will change if they don't drop their stupid bullshit they keep pushing. A good start would be telling the religious right to go to the back of the bus.

Prolly so.

But it doesn't make his observation any less true.

The idea that Hispanics will start voting for Republicans if they jump on board to some kind of amnesty plan is foolhardy. Let's not forget that Ronald Reagan actually granted real, authentic amnesty to 3 million illegals back in 1985 and yet Bush 41 actually received a lower percentage of Hispanic votes when he won in 1988 than Reagan did in both 80 and 84.

Hispanics are going to vote largely Democratic because they support redistributionist policies. Polling has shown repeatedly that people who migrate here from Hispanic nations as well as many some nations like Japan do not support our Constitutional ideas of limited government. They want a strong welfare state. Republicans have two choices. Either they cater to that or they make a serious concerted effort to reach out to those groups and convince them that less government is the better way to go.

Since you gave time to give a detailed argument, which I respect, ALOT, here is mine:

the GOP has a two-fold problem with Latinos.

First, it continues to bellyache about illegal immigrants and slurs them. Ok. It appears that the GOP has decided that it is not capable of swaying this group of potential voters, even though the proposed immigration reform that passed the Senate means at least a 10-12 year wait before the first illegal immigrants would be granted citizenship which means that of those who would get citizenship, they would first vote in a national election in either 2026 or 2028. So, Righties are telling me that they are defeatists, that they cannot possibly sway a group of voters over 12-14 years. Wow. That's just plain old sad.

Second, the many attacks on Latino illegal immigrants, whether it is intended or not by the GOP politicos who say this stupid stuff, do not discriminate between illegal aliens and Latinos who ARE legal, meaning, they are US citizens already. It's been one slur and one slap after another against the Latino community and if you think that Latinos who ARE US citizens haven't noticed, think again. Just look at the 2012 Prez election results in Latino heavy states, most notably Florida, where the Cuban Latino vote swung wildly for the Democrat - for the first time ever.

The bolded: I have never ever even once seen such a poll. Please show me the data. I call bullshit on that one.

-Stat

Last edited:
It's hardly a debate. If Latinos continue voting democrat in the 70%+ range, the GOP will simply not be competitive in Florida or Colorado anymore, and the Democrats will be in Arizona and Texas soon.

One, no such data credibly exists that Japanese and Hispanic immigrants detest limited government.

Two, even if they did, they will out number the far right white reactionaries by 2020 to 2024.

Three, far right wishful thinking will not change demographic factors and what that means for the future of the country

yawn yawn yawn

we just had a damn Republican President six frikken years ago for EIGHT YEARS

you people will fall any nonsense as long as it fits for you

Illegals get a deal done because the GOP make it happen....
Then what?

Oh yeah...The newly made citizens will vote Democrat....

WTF...

You don't think we have that figured out..

We start doing shit for votes

then we don't deserve to govern this country.

Are you talking about Rubio or Cruz?

yawn yawn yawn

we just had a damn Republican President six frikken years ago for EIGHT YEARS

you people will fall any nonsense as long as it fits for you

Yeah they kinda forget to mention that.
They act like it's been ages since the Republicans had the WH.... :cuckoo:

Forum List

Back