Remington 700

If you want to really have a good look at the bore, spend a few bucks on a bore light. If not, open the bolt and hold a piece of white paper there while looking down the barrel.

The Remington 700 is a very good rifle. I hunted with one in 7mm Mag for years. Loved the rifle, but iffy on the caliber. But be aware there have been some issues with safety in the 700. Make sure you get it checked out and that it is in good shape.

The Ruger American is a very good rifle too. Don't dismiss it merely because you have one good experience with the Remington.

Personally, I think the Ruger #1 is the best hunting rifle. I have had one for several years and it is still a dream gun. It is 3 or 4 inches shorter than a bolt action would be with the same barrel length, so it is handier in tight spaces. It is as accurate as I need, and I think it is a beautiful gun to look at.
I've checked online, people are specifically indicating "post recall" on used 700s, forgot to tell him that.

I've been a hunter and gun nut since the age of 12 and I'm an old coot now. To me guns are very much like women in many ways. The perfect one depends entirely on the individual and the qualities he's looking for. The more you know the more likely you will be to choose something you'll be happy with. Go to the range with friends who will let you use their weapons for a few rounds to get a feel for recoil and how much is beginning to get uncomfortable. Stay away from too much because developing a flinch can do truly horrible things to marksmanship. Read. There are a zillion books each on hunting and firearms. Find folks who are knowledgeable about both subjects and pick their brains. A rifle from Remington, Ruger, Winchester, or Savage is a good rifle (except for greatly abused used ones). In the appropriate caliber will last your lifetime and that of your children. Don't rush your purchase. Learn first.

I've been a hunter and gun nut since the age of 12 and I'm an old coot now. To me guns are very much like women in many ways. The perfect one depends entirely on the individual and the qualities he's looking for. The more you know the more likely you will be to choose something you'll be happy with. Go to the range with friends who will let you use their weapons for a few rounds to get a feel for recoil and how much is beginning to get uncomfortable. Stay away from too much because developing a flinch can do truly horrible things to marksmanship. Read. There are a zillion books each on hunting and firearms. Find folks who are knowledgeable about both subjects and pick their brains. A rifle from Remington, Ruger, Winchester, or Savage is a good rifle (except for greatly abused used ones). In the appropriate caliber will last your lifetime and that of your children. Don't rush your purchase. Learn first.

Well said!! We old coots are worth listening to, aren't we?

http://www.realguns.com/archives/175.htm (Part 1)
http://www.realguns.com/archives/179.htm (Part 2)
“I don't remember how many times I've tried to justify personal firearm selections to headshaking family and friends. The truth is, I just like interesting firearms and cartridges and that's all the justification needed. As long as I didn't under-gun a hunting piece, a practice that doesn't fit into my idea of ethical hunting, I could over-gun as much as my wallet, shoulder and gun bearing back could take. In short, I could have fun, just for the sake of having fun and buying sporting firearms is about the smile they put on your face…” Photos from the articles are in the Image Gallery at http://www.realguns.com/gallery/?f=175and179. - Cindy

Forum List

Back