Remington 700

TheOldSchool

Diamond Member
Sep 21, 2012
last stop for sanity before reaching the south
I've never owned a rifle before but I went out hunting with my sister's fiance a couple of months ago and had a really good time. He let me use one of his but I think I'd like to get my own. He recommended the 700 but there are all kinds of variations out now and there are a lot more if I were to buy used.

Money's not really a problem but I don't want to spend thousands when a few hundred would do if that's the case. Anyways I'm hoping for some guidance here. What's the difference between a base 700 and a top of the line one? Can I add things on later and it would be just as good as a more expensive model?

I've looked online and opinions are all over the place. What do you guys think? My experience level with guns has only been for self defense. I have a handgun I've fired a ton and a shotgun I've only fired a few times. My hope is that with a rifle I can go out hunting maybe 3 or 4 times a year. Maybe more I don't know.

Anyways thanks for any input you all would like to give :thup:

You could always do it the old fashioned way and use a flintlock........ :D

Sorry, can't help ya much with the modern stuff but quite a few people hunt with muzzelloaders, modern "in-line", percussion and flint. A good quality Hawkins reproduction will set ya back around $400 to $500. :dunno:

Also it really depends on what you're hunting, with (probably) the same research you're doing I've noticed three that constantly pop up, all deer rifles.

The Remington 700 (scads of after market add-ons available)
The Ruger American Rifle
The Weatherby Vanguard Series 2 Carbine

• Banned

Sorry, can't help ya much with the modern stuff but quite a few people hunt with muzzelloaders, modern "in-line", percussion and flint. A good quality Hawkins reproduction will set ya back around $400 to $500. :dunno:

Also it really depends on what you're hunting, with (probably) the same research you're doing I've noticed three that constantly pop up, all deer rifles.

The Ruger American Rifle

I was looking at muzzleloaders just a couple days ago! But I don't mind spending a little extra for a bolt action. The people I'd go hunting with go for deer and boar. I'm pretty stuck on the Remington so I'm trying to find some help on what I should do to buy one. Like is a used one as good as a new one, is the material that the barrel is made of all that important, and can I add things on later to make it better.

The Ruger American Rifle

I was looking at muzzleloaders just a couple days ago! But I don't mind spending a little extra for a bolt action. The people I'd go hunting with go for deer and boar. I'm pretty stuck on the Remington so I'm trying to find some help on what I should do to buy one. Like is a used one as good as a new one, is the material that the barrel is made of all that important, and can I add things on later to make it better.
Buying used from a reputable dealer is fine as they will tell you what shape the bore is in, actually most people will tell you what shape the bore is in and price the rifle accordingly. Others might disagree but I would shy away from Craigslist, too many opportunities to get scammed. The prices vary considerably depending on which model 700 and what's been done to it, don't know where you live but Walmart typically carries the basic model (in .308) and many of the accessories. If you have any Big Rs in your area they may carry them also.

• Banned

The Ruger American Rifle

Buying used from a reputable dealer is fine as they will tell you what shape the bore is in, actually most people will tell you what shape the bore is in and price the rifle accordingly. Others might disagree but I would shy away from Craigslist, too many opportunities to get scammed. The prices vary considerably depending on which model 700 and what's been done to it, don't know where you live but Walmart typically carries the basic model (in .308) and many of the accessories. If you have any Big Rs in your area they may carry them also.
How do I tell what shape the bore is in?

“Money's not really a problem but...”

But there's little point in spending a lot for something you'll not use very often.

I can highly recommend the Ruger American, I bought one recently in 30.06 – about $500 with decent glass.

“Money's not really a problem but...”

But there's little point in spending a lot for something you'll not use very often.

I can highly recommend the Ruger American, I bought one recently in 30.06 – about $500 with decent glass.

I've looked into the Ruger but like I said I'm convinced about the Remington. :dunno:

If you look down the barrel with the breech open (and unloaded....... obviously) if it's pretty worn it will look something like this:

bore3-vi.jpg

Now here's a good bore for comparison:

1941_VKT_M91.jpg

Notice how much smoother it is, (if you ignore the lint from the cleaning rag.....) how much deeper the grooves are?

You'll also want to dry fire the rifle to test the trigger action, how "quick" or "slow" it is or if there's any sloopiness to the action which will show wear. Make sure the bolt action works smoothly and that you can remove and reinsert the bolt as is normal for that rifle.

I don't mean to sound silly --- BUT --- I don't think any one is going to hunt Squirrels & Rabbits
With a .30-06 Rem 700... ! ! !
:Boom2:

You gonna eat what you shoot? :dunno:

Yeah. Hunting just for sport is disgraceful IMO.
Agreed. I asked because you said your experience with firearms was only for self defense. I've watched squirrels and rabbits cleaned and dressed when I was a kid. That turned me off to the notion of hunting LOL.

I've eaten rabbit :dunno:

I don't think I'd touch a squirrel though!
I eat many squirrels a year real good with gravy.

The Ruger American Rifle

you can always buy a nice used one

what caliber you thinking

i like the 30-06

a well rounded rifle

If you want to really have a good look at the bore, spend a few bucks on a bore light. If not, open the bolt and hold a piece of white paper there while looking down the barrel.

The Remington 700 is a very good rifle. I hunted with one in 7mm Mag for years. Loved the rifle, but iffy on the caliber. But be aware there have been some issues with safety in the 700. Make sure you get it checked out and that it is in good shape.

The Ruger American is a very good rifle too. Don't dismiss it merely because you have one good experience with the Remington.

Personally, I think the Ruger #1 is the best hunting rifle. I have had one for several years and it is still a dream gun. It is 3 or 4 inches shorter than a bolt action would be with the same barrel length, so it is handier in tight spaces. It is as accurate as I need, and I think it is a beautiful gun to look at.

Forum List

Back