Reminder MMA Fans - EliteXC Free on CBS tonight 5/31... Kimbo Slice vs James Thompson

Discussion in 'Sports' started by Ninja, May 31, 2008.

1. Ninja

Ninja Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +377
  2. roomy

roomy The Natural

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +950
  3. Ninja

Ninja Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +377
    Yep, same no-talent Kimbo.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CKb1jeg-fgI]YouTube - Kimbo vs. Gannon[/ame]

4. roomy

roomy The Natural

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +950

Cool, I like him, he's as hard as nails, just lacks polish and it may be too late for that, I dare bet he'll still win his fair share of fights.

5. Dirt McGirt

Dirt McGirt Bad Mother****er

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +503
    That was garbage...total disaster for Gary Shaw and MMA. The production value sucked. The fans sucked. The camera work sucked. Kimbo got exposed for the fluke he is and you know extremist MMA fans will label it a fix. Lawler and Smith was well on its way to being a fight of the year candidate before the eye poke and no contest. The only positive thing was Gina Carano and that's fucking sad when one of the ladies shows up overweight and steals the show. Total garbage, IMO.

Overall, this was a terrible showing for real MMA fans who want the sport to go mainstream. CBS will probably dump MMA after this. Dana White has to be laughing his ass off right now.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
    Last edited: Jun 1, 2008
  6. Ninja

Ninja Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +377
    Kimbo let James Thompson make it to round 3 :rofl:

WOW. What a horrible event. Frank Shamrock looked like such a fag in his gay little suit and tie :D

Werd to what Dirt said.

7. roomy

roomy The Natural

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +950
    Makes me feel glad we didn't see it here in the UK.We sometimes pick programmes up like that on the 'Fight Channel' a few days/weeks later.

8. Gunny

Gunny Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,770

Don't bother catching it. Unless you're into two men havng sex inside a cage. That's what the Kimbo fight appeared to be.

9. Gunny

Gunny Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,770
    Traditional martial artists don't like MMA because it usually amounts to little more than thuggery. I was surprised in the Lawler fight they actually were displaying standing fighting skills. Most people I know associate MMA with fights like the Kimbo fight.

Two guys rolling around on the mat most of the fight is not going to sell to AMerican fans, IMO. There isn't enough excitement and flash involved.

10. Dirt McGirt

Dirt McGirt Bad Mother****er

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +503
    This seems to be the thing with MMA. Once you understand BJJ and the grappling aspect, there is SOOOOO much strategy involved. I think that part of MMA is still growing on people, but I personally find the grappling highly exciting. But you are correct, most American fans don't get that aspect of MMA and do consider it boring. The booing of the fans during the Smith-Lawler fight was ridiculous though. That was a striking war from start to finish. The same thing happened to Jamie Varner and Rob McCulloch in an extremely entertaining stand up title fight in the WEC. Yet Kimbo was treated to a hero's welcome his entire showing. Complete bullshit.

This is my problem with trying to push the product into the mainstream right now, the timing isn't right to establish a grassroots fan base. Unfortunately the UFC has all of the best fighters and the best product, so they are the ones that have to get it into the mainstream. They can do it the right way. I want to see other organizations be successful in MMA and as far as I'm concerned Gary Shaw hurt the sport with that spectacle he put on. We'll see how Affliction turns out. I'm excited about their card but I'm afraid it's going to be a letdown.