Remembering times when political talk was rare

BasicHumanUnit

Diamond Member
Jun 1, 2013
Everywhere needed
today politics seems to be one of the hottest topics around. The war of words and wills rages on Capital Hill and on Main Street as well.

Anyone remember times when political talk was something you'd have to search for an AM station just to hear ANYTHING about politics?

Times when political fever was so low, few ever knew who the hell Speaker of the House was or what the hell the Majority Leader was? Heck few could even name the VP.

Times sure have changed. I hear Elementary kids talking politics waking home now.
Maybe it NEEDED to change? Americans were so disconnected from politics that politics disconnected from the American people.....

Time to reconnect?

today politics seems to be one of the hottest topics around. The war of words and wills rages on Capital Hill and on Main Street as well.

Anyone remember times when political talk was something you'd have to search for an AM station just to hear ANYTHING about politics?

Times when political fever was so low, few ever knew who the hell Speaker of the House was or what the hell the Majority Leader was? Heck few could even name the VP.

Times sure have changed. I hear Elementary kids talking politics waking home now.
Maybe it NEEDED to change? Americans were so disconnected from politics that politics disconnected from the American people.....

Time to reconnect?

Politics is what the adults would start talking about so we would leave. Then they would smoke a joint and drink a beer.

Time to reconnect?
“That’s real news, not some politics slot”

Time to reconnect?

Politics is what the adults would start talking about so we would leave. Then they would smoke a joint and drink a beer.
That never worked for me.

At first politics was too complicated for me, but once I approached my teens I was glued to the tv when my grandmother and uncle were watching the news.

It was a time when the nation was basically going in an OK direction...not like the chaos we have today where one side wants to utterly destroy the Constitution AND the nation.....IN SPITE of how good we ALL have it

Time to reconnect?

Gross....

Have you learned anything from. The kids?

Time to reconnect?

I do not think that we are any more connected than we were in the days when it was not on the tube 24/7 and people did not talk about it all the time.

I remember the old saying "never talk about politics, religion or money".

Politics today is just an extension of reality TV, which might explain the reality TV star that is now president. People are not connected to politics and politician, they are enthralled by it. I think for most people it is no different than watching Jersey Shores or Big Brother.

Growing up near Cleveland politics was occasionally the topic of conversation in our local barber shop. What usually triggered it was some story in the Plain Dealer. Back in the day when just about everybody read newspapers, which unlike today were well worth reading.

Time to reconnect?

I do not think that we are any more connected than we were in the days when it was not on the tube 24/7 and people did not talk about it all the time.

Politics today is just an extension of reality TV, which might explain the reality TV star that is now president. People are not connected to politics and politician, they are enthralled by it. I think for most people it is no different than watching Jersey Shores or Big Brother.

I think a lot of that is because there is such political division in State Houses and even local assemblies. Even when one party dominates the State Capitol; there is dischord between how extreme they wish to be. The Texas bathroom bill was a good example of this; the state is a cesspool, poverty is through the roof, as we saw with the flooding "cutting spending to the bone" means that when there is even not-so-bad weather; folks have their possessions destroyed; and the State legislature focused on bathroom ettiquitte in their bi-yearly (still blows my mind) sessions.

Anyway such division and entrenchments keeps politics in the news but not so much in your daily life. Hence 5-6 out of ten don't vote in even presidential elections and 7-8 out of ten don't show up at mid-terms; there is no reason to pay too much attention to the details but the spectecale is something to watch and laugh at; hence our President.

Time to reconnect?

I think a lot of that is because there is such political division in State Houses and even local assemblies. Even when one party dominates the State Capitol; there is dischord between how extreme they wish to be. The Texas bathroom bill was a good example of this; the state is a cesspool, poverty is through the roof, as we saw with the flooding "cutting spending to the bone" means that when there is even not-so-bad weather; folks have their possessions destroyed; and the State legislature focused on bathroom ettiquitte in their bi-yearly (still blows my mind) sessions.

Anyway such division and entrenchments keeps politics in the news but not so much in your daily life. Hence 5-6 out of ten don't vote in even presidential elections and 7-8 out of ten don't show up at mid-terms; there is no reason to pay too much attention to the details but the spectecale is something to watch and laugh at; hence our President.
Maybe you should move to a real shithole, aka California.

Forum List

Back