Remember when? Trump Signs Bill Revoking Obama-Era Gun Checks for People With Mental Illnesses

Ya have to love gun nuts rationalization. They always want to know how a specific piece of legislation would prevent some particular event and pretend to ignore that that event has already occurred. We need to prevent FUTURE occurrences. They also ignore legislation that WOULD have prevented the event that they are talking about. Newsflash. We need comprehensive gun laws that BEGIN with banning assault weapons (yes that would have prevented all three of those events). Universal background checks stopping people with mental problems from having access to guns Almost everyone agrees with those policies
No, the Opposition (in this context asks legitimate questions, which the Gun Control crowed simply cannot answer to everyone's satisfaction.

Look, if someone identifies themselves as having a mental illness severe enough to warrant a monthly SS disability check for it, or if their family does so on their behalf, then I say that person doesn't need to be buying guns. I think that's a sane, rational, common sense precaution.

Similarly, if someone has proven so blitheringly incompetent that they have been stripped of the right to handle their own finances, why would they be buying a gun anyway?

The NRA and other gun-rights folks who refuse to support reasonable, logical restrictions like the above cost the Republicans the House in 2018 and might end up costing them the Senate and the White House in 2020.

I'm for concealed-carry. I abjectly oppose all mandatory buy-back schemes. I oppose restrictions on ammo. I think citizens should be able to buy small automatic weapons. Etc., etc., etc. But we are shooting ourselves in the foot by refusing to support very modest, reasonable restrictions on gun ownership, especially when those restrictions won't affect 98% of people who want to buy a gun.

Look, if someone identifies themselves as having a mental illness severe enough to warrant a monthly SS disability check for it, or if their family does so on their behalf, then I say that person doesn't need to be buying guns. I think that's a sane, rational, common sense precaution.

Similarly, if someone has proven so blitheringly incompetent that they have been stripped of the right to handle their own finances, why would they be buying a gun anyway?

The NRA and other gun-rights folks who refuse to support reasonable, logical restrictions like the above cost the Republicans the House in 2018 and might end up costing them the Senate and the White House in 2020.

I'm for concealed-carry. I abjectly oppose all mandatory buy-back schemes. I oppose restrictions on ammo. I think citizens should be able to buy small automatic weapons. Etc., etc., etc. But we are shooting ourselves in the foot by refusing to support very modest, reasonable restrictions on gun ownership, especially when those restrictions won't affect 98% of people who want to buy a gun.
You were doing so well and then went off the cliff in your last paragraph

Forum List

Back