Religious people are less intelligent than atheists

according to analysis of scores of scientific studies stretching back over decades

"Study found 'a reliable negative relation between intelligence and religiosity' in 53 out of 63 studies"

Religious people are less intelligent than atheists according to analysis of scores of scientific studies stretching back over decades - Science - News - The Independent

Well then you have turned intelligence into a vice as much as a virtue. ---- or into pride.

And what of those super intelligent beings convinced of God? (Isaac Newton, Thomas Aquinas, et al.)? Anomalies?

So any quality that can exist and even flourish in the absence of your religion is automatically a vice? How arrogant. And you accuse us of pride.

You get too literal when it suits you.

It seemed to me the top poster was wanting to make a point beyond the simple poll results he reported. He reported that atheists are generally of higher intelligence than believers. That's nice. But why did he report such? I presume to make the connection between intelligence brings one to a better understanding of the truth, i.e. that there is no evidence for God and by extension, no good reason to believe in Him.

So I had my own fun or take on his implied message. That being, if intelligence takes you away from caring about God, then intelligence is not a good thing.

Was that so hard to endure? I know, intelligence produces wonderful things for mankind. Yeah! But do not lose sight of the higher quest. As Scripture says --- "What profit a man to gain the whole world yet lose his very soul?"

yes, because God makes unbelievers smarter than those who believe in Him.

"The word god is for me nothing more than the expression and product of human weaknesses, the Bible a collection of honorable but still primitive legends which are nevertheless pretty childish".

Letter to philosopher Eric Gutkind, January 3, 1954

I really like this guy. Mainly because of how most theists end up in a stuttering mess in response to him. He's one of the few atheists that I think actually has some ability to cause people to question their preconceived notions.

according to analysis of scores of scientific studies stretching back over decades

"Study found 'a reliable negative relation between intelligence and religiosity' in 53 out of 63 studies"

Religious people are less intelligent than atheists according to analysis of scores of scientific studies stretching back over decades - Science - News - The Independent

Well then you have turned intelligence into a vice as much as a virtue. ---- or into pride.

And what of those super intelligent beings convinced of God? (Isaac Newton, Thomas Aquinas, et al.)? Anomalies?

So any quality that can exist and even flourish in the absence of your religion is automatically a vice? How arrogant. And you accuse us of pride.

You get too literal when it suits you.

It seemed to me the top poster was wanting to make a point beyond the simple poll results he reported. He reported that atheists are generally of higher intelligence than believers. That's nice. But why did he report such? I presume to make the connection between intelligence brings one to a better understanding of the truth, i.e. that there is no evidence for God and by extension, no good reason to believe in Him.

So I had my own fun or take on his implied message. That being, if intelligence takes you away from caring about God, then intelligence is not a good thing.

Was that so hard to endure? I know, intelligence produces wonderful things for mankind. Yeah! But do not lose sight of the higher quest. As Scripture says --- "What profit a man to gain the whole world yet lose his very soul?"

You and I disagree then on what the higher quest is. I think that the higher quest is to contribute to the betterment of the human condition in this life. And I think that to sacrifice your soul for it, if in fact there are such things as souls, would be one of the most honorable and selfless acts any human being could be capable of.

I have no problem sacrificing a small amount of "intelligence" or "sanity" for a more magickal spiritual experience. The human mind is fascinating... and choosing to be an Atheist shuts down a powerful part of it.

I have no problem sacrificing a small amount of "intelligence" or "sanity" for a more magickal spiritual experience. The human mind is fascinating... and choosing to be an Atheist shuts down a powerful part of it.

Powerful, perhaps though the value of it is subjective. I could also make the claim that the part of my brain that is involved in learning about the mechanics of the universe and appreciating its complexity and immensity is powerful as well and that, to some degree, to focus on the part you mentioned would be to neglect the part I mention and vice versa. It is then simply a matter of deciding which is of more value to you as an individual.

Powerful, perhaps though the value of it is subjective. I could also make the claim that the part of my brain that is involved in learning about the mechanics of the universe and appreciating its complexity and immensity is powerful as well and that, to some degree, to focus on the part you mentioned would be to neglect the part I mention and vice versa. It is then simply a matter of deciding which is of more value to you as an individual.

Please explain how the belief in gods neglects "the part of the brain that is involved in learning about the mechanics of the universe and appreciating its complexity and immensity".

A Pagan can excel in Science and Mathematics. A Pagan doesn't even have to believe that gods created the world or humanity.

I guess it's good they didn't test you guno, you would have brought the curve way down. :muahaha:

The got you pegged

A recent review of studies found that religious belief is inversely associated with intelligence. That is, more intelligent people are generally less likely to be religious.

The review found that religious beliefs, such as belief in God, are somewhat more strongly related to lower intelligence

More Knowledge Less Belief in Religion Psychology Today

The problem with the bible thumpers is they are too stupid to know they are stupid :itsok:

Aw, guno, I have no doubts that I may be the dumbest man on here. I also have no doubts that my God has blessed me more than most people.

The difference between you and I are many, I have a family, and a house in the country, and I have a life, while, you live in your mother's basement, and play on the USMB all day.

And the biggest difference is that I know who I am without someone having to tell me, while you have no idea that you are full of :bsflag:.

Einstein believed in a Supreme being.

Not quite. Not a 'being' as in deity or god.

(The following is from Einstein and Religion by Max Jammer, Princeton University Press)
"I'm not an atheist, and I don't think I can call myself a pantheist. We are in the position of a little child entering a huge library filled with books in many languages. The child knows someone must have written those books. It does not know how. It does not understand the languages in which they are written. The child dimly suspects a mysterious order in the arrangement of the books but doesn't know what it is. That, it seems to me, is the attitude of even the most intelligent human being toward God. We see the universe marvelously arranged and obeying certain laws but only dimly understand these laws. Our limited minds grasp the mysterious force that moves the constellations."

(The following is from The Quotable Einstein)
"Thus I came...to a deep religiosity, which, however, reached an abrupt end at the age of 12. Through the reading of popular scientific books I soon reached a conviction that much in the stories of the Bible could not be true....Suspicion against every kind of authority grew out of this experience...an attitude which has never left me."

"I cannot imagine a God who rewards and punishes the objects of his creation, whose purposes are modeled after our own - a God, in short, who is but a reflection of human frailty. It is enough for me to contemplate the mystery of conscious life perpetuating itself through all eternity, to reflect upon the marvelous structure of the universe which we can dimly perceive and to try humbly to comprehend even an infinitesimal part of the intelligence manifested in Nature."

Albert Einstein and Religion

Arrogance:

1. offensive display of superiority or self-importance; overbearing pride.

Romans 14:1
As for the one who is weak in faith, welcome him, but not to quarrel over opinions.

Both of these describe you on this subject rather well...

yes, because God makes unbelievers smarter than those who believe in Him.

"The word god is for me nothing more than the expression and product of human weaknesses, the Bible a collection of honorable but still primitive legends which are nevertheless pretty childish".

Letter to philosopher Eric Gutkind, January 3, 1954

if you study the bible and its history and accuracy... you will have to come to the only logical conclusion- it is 100% true.

My dear friend, just why do think it is myself and many others became atheists?
ignorance?.......at least based on the evidence of this forum.......

Forum List

Back