Religious Abuse

Discussion in 'Religion and Ethics' started by Sky Dancer, Oct 13, 2011.

1. Sky Dancer

Sky Dancer BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,164
    "Spiritual abuse can take place in the context of doctrinally sound, Bible preaching, fundamental, conservative Christianity. All that is needed for abuse is a pastor accountable to no one and therefore beyond confrontation.

The congregation's social characteristics provide danger signals as well. Membership of authoritarian churches is frequently comprised of young, spiritually immature Christians.

Another sign of impending trouble in a church is an obsession with discipline and excommunication. Beware of churches that warn of certain doom if you leave their 'covering,' or if you 'break covenant.'

A fourth sign of aberrance in a church is when the church encourages complete isolation or strong distancing of it's membership from family and friends not involved in the group.

Another sign of abusive behavior in a church is it's tendency towards isolation from other churches. Beware of the church,where outside speakers are consistently denied access to the pulpit, and where other Christian churches are regularly denounced, belittled or ridiculed.
    How To Spot Religious Abuse

Most churches and spiritual communties are sources of good. Some are not. Discuss.

2. Sky Dancer

Sky Dancer BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,164
    It is clear that contrasting images of God (as a terrorizing bully or as a strong, tender shepherd) would have very different effects on a person’s feelings and behaviors. The first image, of a bully God would contribute to shame, paralyzing fear, a negative view of self and of the world, withdrawal from God and a sense of hopelessness.

The second image, of a shepherd God, however, would create a sense of being known and loved, a freedom to act, a positive view of self and the world, a desire to approach God, and a sense of hopefulness. After working with these contrasting images of God in workshops, I have had people say with tears in their eyes "the difference is you would want to run from the bully God, but the God whom Isaiah describes is a God you would want to be close to, a God you could trust and love."
    Seeing God in New Ways: Recovery from Distorted Images of God : Natl. Assoc. for Christian Recovery

3. Sky Dancer

Sky Dancer BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,164
    Is your God, a God of fear, or love?

4. zzzz

zzzz Just a regular American

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +429
    Matthew 16:18 καγὼ δέ σοι λέγω ὅτι σὺ εἶ Πέτρος καὶ ἐπὶ ταύτῃ τῇ πέτρᾳ οἰκοδομήσω μου τὴν ἐκκλησίαν καὶ πύλαι ᾅδου οὐ κατισχύσουσιν αὐτῆς. (
    And I say also unto thee That thou art Peter and upon this rock I will build my church and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it.)

Jesus said to Peter that it was upon him to lay the foundation of what Jesus was preaching, salvation. It was not meant as a commandment to build a physical church or denomination but to spread the WORD among the Gentiles and the Jews.

5. earlycuyler

earlycuyler Extra long Bad Ass Cut.

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,183
    Well, No Pastor who stands before me is is unaccountable. If I ask him a question, he will answer or be borne out for what he is. If his actions are motivated by god then all will be fine. If not then fuck him. They are only men, and teachers as well as leaders. I subscribe to a church doctrine given by God, not a man. I will do what I feel is right as I understand it as I read it from the Bible. In the end, men dont, and never will judge me. God will. So to hell with them.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  6. Sky Dancer

Sky Dancer BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,164
    Do you deny religious abuse exists?

7. earlycuyler

earlycuyler Extra long Bad Ass Cut.

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,183
    Nope, and would go so far as to say that its common. Almost if not exactly as you posted it. By my responce I meant to say I dont take that shit, neither will my family.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  8. Smartt33

Smartt33 Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +147
    I have not posted here for over a year. You are the first person here that I have ever seen who looks like someone who can actually discuss a topic. I think I will enjoy reading your posts.

I have agreed with everything in this thread that you have said. But more important, it seems to be a fresh look from a perspective that is not driven by attitude. Thanks.

9. yidnar

yidnar Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +931
    why don't you start a thread that speaks of the abuse Islam doles out ??:eusa_eh:....libbs like you will put down Christianity all the time but will rarely if ever speak about the evils of Islam.....why is that??

10. Cammmpbell

Cammmpbell Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +517
    Religion is ancient and ignorant. It is a crutch for those who cannot accept the inevitable...death.