Religion As A Virus Of The Mind

Existentialism: fear of death? Are you serious?

PS: You are in no way qualified to belittle the intelligence of others.
A book I read (a few times) as a very young man: The Denial of Death - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The Denial of Death is a 1973 work of psychology and philosophy by Ernest Becker.[1] It was awarded the Pulitzer Prize for General Non-Fiction in 1974, two months after the author's death.[2] The book builds largely on the works of Søren Kierkegaard, Sigmund Freud, and one of Freud's colleagues, Otto Rank.

The basic premise of The Denial of Death is that human civilization is ultimately an elaborate, symbolic defense mechanism against the knowledge of our mortality, which in turn acts as the emotional and intellectual response to our basic survival mechanism.

the denial of death = fear of death = fear of living = fear of life = fear of existence = existentialism.

existentialism comes from existential

Concise Oxford English Dictionary © 2008 Oxford University Press:
existential /ˌɛgzɪˈstɛnʃ(ə)l/
▶adjective

1 relating to existence.

■ Logic (of a proposition) affirming or implying the existence of a thing.

2 Philosophy concerned with existentialism.

existential - WordReference.com Dictionary of English

-----

JSTOR: The Sewanee Review, Vol. 56, No. 2 (Spring, 1948), pp. 210-229

Last edited:
I can accept that humans cannot understand all things. Supernatural seems to indicate psychics, and clairvoyants. In the end however, I defer to the beliefs of others. Each has the liberty to decide their own. That includes hard core right wing atheists.....................................( No, I am not referring to you.)

Religion people and people of faith are more like psychics, and clairvoyants than hey care to admit.

I used to chase christian mysticism. I almost joined an orthodox or Catholic order in my late 20s. I studied the early church fathers. I understand spiritual people. I just awoke to the realization that eternity is a human construct and of the mind. Consciousness is a wonderful thing, and needs no supernatural explanations.

see? a non-believer with a spiritual/mythical/mystical side. :D

Well, good to see you kept YOUR mind open for a time. Sancto from PENNSYLVANIA has yet to accomplish that task. I bet he is increasing nausea across the US though, every time I read most of his "statements" I wanna throw up as he does when he hears "SEPARATION OF CHURCH & STATE".

Santorum does not believe in it

A book I read (a few times) as a very young man: The Denial of Death - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The Denial of Death is a 1973 work of psychology and philosophy by Ernest Becker.[1] It was awarded the Pulitzer Prize for General Non-Fiction in 1974, two months after the author's death.[2] The book builds largely on the works of Søren Kierkegaard, Sigmund Freud, and one of Freud's colleagues, Otto Rank.

The basic premise of The Denial of Death is that human civilization is ultimately an elaborate, symbolic defense mechanism against the knowledge of our mortality, which in turn acts as the emotional and intellectual response to our basic survival mechanism.

the denial of death = fear of death.

▶adjective

1 relating to existence.

-----

Being and Nothingness running through my mind at 7:00 am.................................

▶adjective

1 relating to existence.

-----

Being and Nothingness running through my mind at 7:00 am.................................
No sh_t Dante! I wish I could "not" believe in Sancto................................

the denial of death = fear of death = fear of living = fear of life = fear of existence = existentialism.

▶adjective

1 relating to existence.

-----

You need to do more than read one damn book. Try reading dozens of books, as I have. Try going to college and studying the damn subject as I did. You fucked up. You were wrong. I gave you the links to set you straight. The rest is up to you. You will never know more than you want to know.

▶adjective

1 relating to existence.

-----

It's 4 am here and eternity is just hanging around.

▶adjective

1 relating to existence.

-----

You need to do more than read one damn book. Try reading dozens of books, as I have. Try going to college and studying the damn subject as I did. You fucked up. You were wrong. I gave you the links to set you straight. The rest is up to you. You will never know more than you want to know.

I didn't say it was the only book I've read. :lol:

You are mistaking key concepts. You're stuck on stupid. Your links do not negate anything. They just confuse you.

pay attention: existentialism and the denial of death. get IT yet?

now pay closer attention: wikipedia is a great tool, but it does not make you smaht.

now stop thinking: there. you exist

What a shame that we cannot discuss this otherwise interesting question without also debating the worth of people's religious beliefs.

Ideas and beliefs operate much like viruses.

Ideas, like viruses, cannot live or reproduce without a host.

That is probably worthy of our collective attention.

Sadly, some of you are so plagued with your own viral obsessions that you just can't step back from defending your beliefs (or attacking other people's beliefs)long enough to even THINK about the nature of all believing.

Last edited:
the worth? what worth? worth what to whom?

discuss what interesting question? the thread title is: Religion As A Virus Of The Mind

are you hanging around that Professor idjit, or Quant_tum-dee-dum-dum?

What a shame that we cannot discuss this otherwise interesting question without also debating the worth of people's religious beliefs.

Ideas and beliefs operate much like viruses.

Ideas, like viruses, cannot live or reproduce without a host.

That is probably worthy of our collective attention.

Sadly, some of you are so plagued with your own viral obsessions that you just can't step back from defending your beliefs (or attacking other people's beliefs)long enough to even THINK about the nature of all believing.

▶adjective

1 relating to existence.

-----

Read the links I gave. First, the fear of death is universal; therefore, it could not define a a particular philosophy such as existentialism Second, existentialist do not deny death (where in the hell did you get this crap?). They accept it, embrace it and live their lives to the fullest in spite of it. You didn't even take the time to read the links I took the time to provide.

You say: the denial of death = fear of death = fear of living = fear of life = fear of existence = existentialism.

That is merely your opinion, and of course it is wrong. If you think existentialist deny death, you are an uneducated fool. Existentialist accept death, in fact they criticize those who deny it. I sent you the links that proved this. You are lacking in critical thinking skills, and are incapable of logical thought.

You really think that existentialist deny death. Unbelievable! I can only hope that those who read your stupid comments check out the links I gave so they can see what an ignorant pompous jerk you are.

Existentialists deny death??? Sure, and cows fly. At least you're funny.

You make my day with your silly talk.

Challenge to you: I sent you several links proving everything I said. Can you send me one single link that says - with clarity and specificity - that existentialists deny death? If what you say is true there must be literally thousands of links. Maybe your friends on this site can help you find such a link. I won't hold my breath.

I am through with you for now, my mentally diminutive friend, but I will be back.

Existentialist deny death. *almost wets pants laughing*

▶adjective

1 relating to existence.

-----

Read the links I gave. First, the fear of death is universal; therefore, it could not define a a particular philosophy such as existentialism Second, existentialist do not deny death (where in the hell did you get this crap?). They accept it, embrace it and live their lives to the fullest in spite of it. You didn't even take the time to read the links I took the time to provide.

You say: the denial of death = fear of death = fear of living = fear of life = fear of existence = existentialism.

That is merely your opinion, and of course it is wrong. If you think existentialist deny death, you are an uneducated fool. Existentialist accept death, in fact they criticize those who deny it. I sent you the links that proved this. You are lacking in critical thinking skills, and are incapable of logical thought.

You really think that existentialist deny death. Unbelievable! I can only hope that those who read your stupid comments check out the links I gave so they can see what an ignorant pompous jerk you are.

Existentialists deny death??? Sure, and cows fly. At least you're funny.

You make my day with your silly talk.

Challenge to you: I sent you several links proving everything I said. Can you send me one single link that says - with clarity and specificity - that existentialists deny death? If what you say is true there must be literally thousands of links. Maybe your friends on this site can help you find such a link. I won't hold my breath.

I am through with you for now, my mentally diminutive friend, but I will be back.

Existentialist deny death. *almost wets pants laughing*

:lol: you still don't get IT. :lol:

You are stuck in a logic loop.

I guess you take this literally: the denial of death = fear of death = fear of living = fear of life = fear of existence = existentialism.

-----------------------------------------------------

The Denial of Death - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

existentialists embrace life/death (duality?) because they know before embracing existentialism they denied life/death

I could explain it to you, but I don't waste much time with pseudo-intellectuals who fail to grasp meaning -- forest for the trees. I pity your ignorance.

did you know the god of sex is also the god of death/life? :rofl:

Last edited:
I have read multiple books about history, and understand it on a level you can't get from a lecture. It is wonderful to get facts, but unless you read journals and find out why people did things all you get is what the professor wants you to know.

that explains it. :eusa_angel:

what professors do you know? jesus, most professors want people to think for themselves.

Not when they give lectures, all they care about then is telling you what interests them. Talk to them and ask questions and most are wonderful people who are quite willing to discuss things, and even argue with them, but don't interrupt their lectures.

Ok, sorry but you are not getting what i said. Granted i did not put it in quotes, but it did seem to fit.

I've seen a lot of strange stuff, but I've never seen anything to make me believe there's one all-powerful Force controlling everything. There's no mystical energy field that controls my destiny. It's all a lot of simple tricks and nonsense

~Han Solo, starwars

;)

Actually, I got you. I apologize for the tangent, but Dante neg repped me in an attempt to make me back down from attacking Dawkins while I was responding to you. I let my irritation with him spill over into my reply to you. My apologies.

It was appropriate and funny.

Don't feel bad; he neg repped me too. He accused me of lacking critical thinking skills. Actually, I wish for my sake that I knew ten percent of what he thinks he knows, and I wish for his sake that he knew ten percent of what I actually know. Were it so, we would both be greatly enriched thereby. I have given quite a few reps, but never a bad one. I think it is better to deal with disagreements publicly; however, I can understand how someone who is vindictive and lacking in debating skills would opt for a neg rep instead.

Thanks for listening. I feel so much better now.

I try to always listen, even in the midst of a disagreement. I often fail, but I do try.

I have read multiple books about history, and understand it on a level you can't get from a lecture. It is wonderful to get facts, but unless you read journals and find out why people did things all you get is what the professor wants you to know.

what professors do you know? jesus, most professors want people to think for themselves.

Not when they give lectures, all they care about then is telling you what interests them. Talk to them and ask questions and most are wonderful people who are quite willing to discuss things, and even argue with them, but don't interrupt their lectures.

interrupting a lecture would be rude and counter productive. as to telling you what interests them? your are psychic?

argument as discussion is what it is. you sound bitter about classroom experiences. it is sad you've had poor teachers or classroom lectures. and maybe, it's tough to not understand why you are in a class. it happens

:eusa_angel:

interrupting a lecture would be rude and counter productive. as to telling you what interests them? your are psychic?

argument as discussion is what it is. you sound bitter about classroom experiences. it is sad you've had poor teachers or classroom lectures. and maybe, it's tough to not understand why you are in a class. it happens

:eusa_angel:

While immunity to a virus may be genetic, that conflicts with the theory atheists are somehow "enlightened". The rejection of religious belief is thus a normal variant of their code. Humans can adapt and reject some, not all, genetic predispositions; had the Human Genome Project not discounted the 1-2% of the genome not deciphered, thus deemed "unimportant", perhaps some insight could be found there. Nor do most viruses last thousands of years, in all climates, geographic areas, and populations.

Forum List

Back