Reid Compares Opponents of Health Care Reform to Supporters of Slavery

I can't play the video, but from your quote, he isn't saying (or even implying) those opposed are racist.

He Played the Slavery Card... Comparing those who don't Support Healthcare Reform to those who were Against Ending Slavery...

He's a Hack and a Douche.

:)

peace...

Was it Democrats against the Civil Right Act of 1964 in mass?

Was it the Democrats who said slavery was good or do I have my facts wrong?

Ok, for the record...

The original House version:

Southern Democrats: 7-87 (7%-93%)
Southern Republicans: 0-10 (0%-100%)
Northern Democrats: 145-9 (94%-6%)
Northern Republicans: 138-24 (85%-15%)
The Senate version:

Southern Democrats: 1-20 (5%-95%) (only Senator Ralph Yarborough of Texas voted in favor)
Southern Republicans: 0-1 (0%-100%) (this was Senator John Tower of Texas)
Northern Democrats: 45-1 (98%-2%) (only Senator Robert Byrd of West Virginia opposed the measure)
Northern Republicans: 27-5 (84%-16%) (Senators Barry Goldwater of Arizona, Bourke Hickenlooper of Iowa, Edwin L. Mechem of New Mexico, Milward L. Simpson of Wyoming, and Norris H. Cotton of New Hampshire opposed the measure)

Note: "Southern", as used in this section, refers to members of Congress from the eleven states that made up the Confederate States of America in the American Civil War. "Northern" refers to members from the other 39 states, regardless of the geographic location of those states.

Source

Americano has proven conclusively that the voting was North vs. South, not Republican vs. Democrat. Let's move on.

Americano has proven conclusively that the voting was North vs. South, not Republican vs. Democrat. Let's move on.

Really...

And how they are voting now? Peripheral vs. integral?

Of course you want to move on, you liberals always do when subject is not in your favor.

Let me remind you that Democrats still have a member of the KKK within their party. In fact, he's not just a member, but "Grand Kleagle" of the KKK and has recently publicly used the N word some 90 times. Do you know who is he?

Please explain to me, how Reid can call Republicans on racism and not call for the DNC to expel and no longer support Senator Byrd? Of course, they need him, despite of his overt and rather public displays of racism.

Given that the Democrats continues to shelter and support a clearly and overtly racist Senator in their party, I'd say Mr. Reid has a whole hell of a lot of nerve to imply others are racist simply because they disagree with this President's policy. Once again the DNC leadership attempts to demonize anyone daring to oppose them politically. Who else did it? Oh, wait... Adolf Hitler did to the Jews in pre WWII Germany.

Ame®icano;1791367 said:

Really...

Of course you want to move on, you liberals always do when subject is not in your favor.

Let me remind you that Democrats still have a member of the KKK within their party. In fact, he's not just a member, but "Grand Kleagle" of the KKK and has recently publicly used the N word some 90 times. Do you know who is he?

Please explain to me, how Reid can call Republicans on racism and not call for the DNC to expel and no longer support Senator Byrd? Of course, they need him, despite of his overt and rather public displays of racism.

Given that the Democrats continues to shelter and support a clearly and overtly racist Senator in their party, I'd say Mr. Reid has a whole hell of a lot of nerve to imply others are racist simply because they disagree with this President's policy. Once again the DNC leadership attempts to demonize anyone daring to oppose them politically. Who else did it? Oh, wait... Adolf Hitler did to the Jews in pre WWII Germany.

You know, criticizing someone of the other party for their involvement in white supremacist group decades ago (which, before you accuse me of a double standard, I have, both here and elsewhere, called for Byrd's resignation over this very issue) takes a lot of balls when your party has had an active white supremacist as it's leader in the Senate in the past decade and one of your leading 2012 contenders is also an active member of a white supremacist group.

It's also pretty ballsy to bitch about being compared to supporters of slavery, then turn right around and call the same guy a Nazi.

Democrats would rather fight their own countrymen than give up their slaves. And why? So they could perform Mengele-like experiments on them to see how syphilis affected them

Ame®icano;1791367 said:

Really...

You know, criticizing someone of the other party for their involvement in white supremacist group decades ago (which, before you accuse me of a double standard, I have, both here and elsewhere, called for Byrd's resignation over this very issue) takes a lot of balls when your party has had an active white supremacist as it's leader in the Senate in the past decade and one of your leading 2012 contenders is also an active member of a white supremacist group.

It's also pretty ballsy to bitch about being compared to supporters of slavery, then turn right around and call the same guy a Nazi.

My party?

Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid took his GOP-blasting rhetoric to a new level Monday, comparing Republicans who oppose health care reform to lawmakers who clung to the institution of slavery more than a century ago.

The Nevada Democrat, in a sweeping set of accusations on the Senate floor, also compared health care foes to those who opposed women's suffrage and the civil rights movement -- even though it was Sen. Strom Thurmond, then a Democrat, who unsuccessfully tried to filibuster the Civil Rights Act of 1957 and it was Republicans who led the charge against slavery.

Senate Republicans on Monday called Reid's comments "offensive" and "unbelievable."

But Reid argued that Republicans are using the same stalling tactics employed in the pre-Civil War era.

"Instead of joining us on the right side of history, all the Republicans can come up with is, 'slow down, stop everything, let's start over.' If you think you've heard these same excuses before, you're right," Reid said Monday. "When this country belatedly recognized the wrongs of slavery, there were those who dug in their heels and said 'slow down, it's too early, things aren't bad enough.'"

He continued: "When women spoke up for the right to speak up, they wanted to vote, some insisted they simply, slow down, there will be a better day to do that, today isn't quite right.

"When this body was on the verge of guaranteeing equal civil rights to everyone regardless of the color of their skin, some senators resorted to the same filibuster threats that we hear today."

That seemed to be a reference to Thurmond's famous 1957 filibuster -- the late senator switched parties several years later.

Sen. Orrin Hatch, R-Utah, said Reid's remarks were over the top.

FOXNews.com - Reid Compares Opponents of Health Care Reform to Supporters of Slavery

Reid is a nazi asshole! and that's putting it mildly.

Reid's a moron and so is anyone that voted for his retarded ass.

Gunny there could have been some blind people that just checked the wrong box by accident. Mostly morons though.

We have been trying to get health care reform since 1912 and the current batch of Borgs in the RNC say let's not rush it.

Their approach to change in healthcare is very similar to those who opposed what Reid was talking about. Hell, they even have a book out on how to stall any progress on the vote.

If the foo shits, wear it.:lol:

Being middle class today and voting republican, is like being a chicken and voting for Col Sanders. They are owned by the the big pharma and insurance companies and really don't give a shit for the middle class.

This is the same shit they spewed about Social Security, Medicare and Medicaid.

Give them hell Harry:clap2:

ray, if your waiting for healthcare reform since 1912 then even if this bill passes you will have to keep waiting because this bill has little if anything to healthcare reform. you do realize that after dropping the public option in the bill the insurance companies that many dislike so much are the same ones that are are going to reap the benefits of this bill? You know as well as I do ray that the Govt. does not Administer their own healthcare insurance programs, they contract that out, and what makes you think they will not do the same with this? Further, the CBO has already said this bill will not lower premiums it will raise them. So what part of this bill represents anything close to healthcare reform other than the provision for pre-existing condition? If that were the only thing that were needed in healthcare reform , that could have been accomplished in a one page bill. In fact I think if you asked ray, many would tell you that if their premiums are not going to go down and their taxes are going to go up, then how is that healthcare reform? One more thing to consider here too. Medicaid represents anywhere between 20 to 25% of most states budgets. and as you know there are few states that are not facing a budget crisis , what do you think additional billions in unfunded mandates to those states is going to do to them? in addition to adding many to Medicaid that is terrible healthcare insurance and one in which few primary care Doctors take. So in the end what have you solved in the way of reform other than to print a lot of health insurance cards and spend a lot of money?

Ray been trying to get HealthCare reform since 1912? I had no idea he was that old. Or maybe he's talking about his Marxits dreams of "HealthCare Reform"

Ame®icano;1791471 said:
Ame®icano;1791367 said:
Really...

My party?

Polk does do a lot of projecting, it's his MO.

The folks who filibusterd civil rights back then were part of a group of legislators from both parties known as the

CONSERVATIVE COALITION.

...what you might call your conservative 'Roots', wingnuts.

:lol::lol::lol:

The folks who filibusterd civil rights back then were part of a group of legislators from both parties known as the

CONSERVATIVE COALITION.

...what you might call your conservative 'Roots', wingnuts.

:lol::lol::lol:

Al Gore Sr? Robert Byrd?

I like Harry.

He's living proof you can be a moron who constantly says dumb things and yet still be employed.

Gives me hope for a lot of the halfwits I know.

Ame®icano;1791471 said:
Ame®icano;1791367 said:
Really...

My party?

Yes, your party. And don't even try this cutesy little game where you try to claim you're not a Republican.

Forum List

Back