Regarding the apostrophe "S" and its use in English grammar.

Sep 12, 2008
"S" denotes plural in English. "'S" denotes possession. (Which as you know is 9/10ths of the law.)

Anyway if you want to discuss conservatives, you use s by itself to denote a large quantity of intelligent and honorable folks.

Use of the apostrophe denotes possession. Obama's depression, Reid's fecklessness.

we are seeing too many threads where this point is confused. Folks are making threads that say "Conservative's are morans" and the like. Grammar mistakes like this sort of poke holes in your argument.

Just saying

March.jpg

"S" denotes plural in English. "'S" denotes possession. (Which as you know is 9/10ths of the law.)

Anyway if you want to discuss conservatives, you use s by itself to denote a large quantity of intelligent and honorable folks.

Use of the apostrophe denotes possession. Obama's depression, Reid's fecklessness.

we are seeing too many threads where this point is confused. Folks are making threads that say "Conservative's are morans" and the like. Grammar mistakes like this sort of poke holes in your argument.

Just saying

March.jpg

Do you know, you spelled MORON wrong :lol:
I am assuming that's the word you meant......anywho.....sorry to nitpick :tongue:

Grammer mistakes do not poke holes in the logic of your argument.

They merely make it harder for the reader to know what your argument really is.

English has been the linquistic dumping ground of all it's ripped off since its inception

there are no universal rules

ergo, i'm running amock in my vernacular ignorance

how'd ya all like me now?

~S~

Just saying

March.jpg

The picture is priceless.

Gramma airs dew knot con CERN mi ass mulch ass spieling airs.

Eye Reilly Haight dose. Moist bowsers half spiel chequers billed in. Wye donut peephole ewes um?

Reed dick ewe louse.

Just saying

March.jpg

If we're discussing grammar peeves, very few people know the rule of proper placement of quotation marks, especially Rule #1, here:

Quotation Marks | Punctuation Rules

But neither is as important as the ability to put together a cohesive sentence, in my opinion. Spelling and punctuation errors can be forgiven usually; typos definitely forgiven.

I once had a boss who lived to find fault with staff's insignificant and trivial errors, be they in memos or other documents, both in house and out. When updating policy or preparing communicatons with agencies or organizations where detail was particularly important, and I didn't want him messing with substance, I always made a few "S" 'mistakes' and spelling errors. He'd point these out and by feeding his needs we avoided ending up with a camel and not the horse we needed.

Just saying

March.jpg

If we're discussing grammar peeves, very few people know the rule of proper placement of quotation marks, especially Rule #1, here:

But neither is as important as the ability to put together a cohesive sentence, in my opinion. Spelling and punctuation errors can be forgiven usually; typos definitely forgiven.

That's interesting, I was taught if quotations are used within a part of a sentence the punctuation always went outside of the quote but if the quote was the whole sentence, or series of sentences the punctuations went inside the quotes.

Just saying

March.jpg

She's wrong.

Wrong in the sense that not every editor agrees with the theory that all punctuation marks belong within the quotes, at least.

The rule for English is this: If it WORKS to convey the meaning to your reader, it's right.

Yeah, yeah I know that's not what you English teachers probably told you.

They were wrong.

She's wrong.

Wrong in the sense that not every editor agrees with the theory that all punctuation marks belong within the quotes, at least.

The rule for English is this: If it WORKS to convey the meaning to your reader, it's right.

Yeah, yeah I know that's not what you English teachers probably told you.

They were wrong.
It's a conspiracy by BIGENGLISH!! :eek:

:tongue:

Forum List

Back