Regarding the apostrophe "S" and its use in English grammar.

I love people who correct grammar. It not only shows they are more intelligent but shows they care

"S" denotes plural in English. "'S" denotes possession. (Which as you know is 9/10ths of the law.)

Anyway if you want to discuss conservatives, you use s by itself to denote a large quantity of intelligent and honorable folks.

Use of the apostrophe denotes possession. Obama's depression, Reid's fecklessness.

we are seeing too many threads where this point is confused. Folks are making threads that say "Conservative's are morans" and the like. Grammar mistakes like this sort of poke holes in your argument.

Just saying

March.jpg

Do you know, you spelled MORON wrong :lol:
I am assuming that's the word you meant......anywho.....sorry to nitpick :tongue:
When quoting, you should keep original grammar and spelling.

If you want to demonstrate you are a douche^2, you can follow the quote with "(sic)" to demonstrate to the reader you are better than the person quoted.

Secure in my grammatical glass house (I make so many spelling mistakes it would be funny if folks made a list) I just want to point out that misuse of the apostrophe and spelling and grammar mistakes in insults to someone's intelligence tend to backfire. Badly.

Grammer mistakes do not poke holes in the logic of your argument.

They merely make it harder for the reader to know what your argument really is.

I once had a boss who lived to find fault with staff's insignificant and trivial errors, be they in memos or other documents, both in house and out. When updating policy or preparing communicatons with agencies or organizations where detail was particularly important, and I didn't want him messing with substance, I always made a few "S" 'mistakes' and spelling errors. He'd point these out and by feeding his needs we avoided ending up with a camel and not the horse we needed.

Very clever. I had an opposite problem on occasion. When it came to grammar corrections, I was never shy about correcting my "boss" even if it meant he had marked up a two-page letter with incorrect grammar changes, and I had to retype the whole thing for him to sign again (before word processors existed). No way did I want the recipient to think he had a secretary who didn't know the rules. I finally got one trained not to use a pen for his corrections in the interest of saving face.

"S" denotes plural in English. "'S" denotes possession. (Which as you know is 9/10ths of the law.)

Anyway if you want to discuss conservatives, you use s by itself to denote a large quantity of intelligent and honorable folks.

Use of the apostrophe denotes possession. Obama's depression, Reid's fecklessness.

we are seeing too many threads where this point is confused. Folks are making threads that say "Conservative's are morans" and the like. Grammar mistakes like this sort of poke holes in your argument.

Just saying

March.jpg

If we're discussing grammar peeves, very few people know the rule of proper placement of quotation marks, especially Rule #1, here:

Quotation Marks | Punctuation Rules

But neither is as important as the ability to put together a cohesive sentence, in my opinion. Spelling and punctuation errors can be forgiven usually; typos definitely forgiven.

That's interesting, I was taught if quotations are used within a part of a sentence the punctuation always went outside of the quote but if the quote was the whole sentence, or series of sentences the punctuations went inside the quotes.

Nope. Look at something quoted in a magazine, and you'll see they all appear outside. In fact, if quoting a series of paragraphs, the quotation mark goes at the front of each paragraph and the ending mark only added at the end of the last paragraph quoted. Now that might seem really weird, but it's to clarify that the paragraphs are not separate quotes, but flow as one full quotation.

Just saying

March.jpg

If we're discussing grammar peeves, very few people know the rule of proper placement of quotation marks, especially Rule #1, here:

Quotation Marks | Punctuation Rules

But neither is as important as the ability to put together a cohesive sentence, in my opinion. Spelling and punctuation errors can be forgiven usually; typos definitely forgiven.

She's wrong.

Wrong in the sense that not every editor agrees with the theory that all punctuation marks belong within the quotes, at least.

The rule for English is this: If it WORKS to convey the meaning to your reader, it's right.

Yeah, yeah I know that's not what you English teachers probably told you.

They were wrong.

I know of no English teacher who would ever teach that new "rule." He/she might have said that if, after learning the rules, you ultimately forget them (as most people do), whatever conveys the meaning is what's important. But it still is not "right."

I love people who correct grammar. It not only shows they are more intelligent but shows they care

I don't unless someone has made the same mistake over and over again and it's within some really stupid comment anyway. :lol:

I love people who correct grammar. It not only shows they are more intelligent, but it shows they care.

:lol:

Aha. Another rule is that a comma is not necessary unless there is a noun and a verb in the two clauses. But it's also okay to put one in (for clarity). So you're both right.

Just saying

March.jpg

what about s'?...as in morons' ?

Thank you to the OP.

Apostrophe Abuse is one of the Great Tragedies of the Modern Era.

Right up there with hangnail strain and repetitive motion disorders in your elbow from lifting too many beers.

the tragedy.

Just saying

March.jpg

Such as the morons' echo chamber? As opposed to the moron's echo chamber. The former is an echo chamber for all the morons. The latter to signify that you own the echo chamber. Clear?

Just saying

March.jpg

Such as the morons' echo chamber? As opposed to the moron's echo chamber. The former is an echo chamber for all the morons. The latter to signify that you own the echo chamber. Clear?

hey, when you absolutely positively need to know, call an expert on Morons...thxx!
rolly.gif

hey, when you absolutely positively need to know, call an expert on Morons...thxx!
rolly.gif

lol, my expertise on morons was honed reading idiotgrams posted by the faux conservatives who reside on this message board. A shout out to crusaderfrank, willow tree, American Cowboy (of late) and those who encourge their idiocy.

Go Bears - CAL @ Virginai right now (CWS). Virgina is pitiching Danny Hultzen who will challenge the Bears today.

It's funny when liberals are so arrogant they think they can define who is and who isn't conservative. :lol:

Actually I've asked many times for echo chamber members to define that question. The answer seems to escape them. As a member in good standing how do you define a conservative?

I won't define what a conservative is, never have, I have characterized 'conservatives' self identified 'conservatives', faux conservatives in very unflatterng words (as you known from personal experience). So tell us, what are the characteristics of a real conservative - cause echo chamber members are far fight and have nothing in common with the root word, to conserve. The New Right is radical and hopes to remake America into theocratic plutocracy.

Since we are yapping about grammar, my biggest pet peeve is when people do not use the word -their, there, they're- properly.
They will use: "It's there turn to drive." *ugh* (proper use would be "It's their turn to drive.")
Or....."Maybe their not home." *another ugh* (proper use would be "Maybe they're not home.")
That shit drives me bat shit crazy ~LoL~

Since we are yapping about grammar, my biggest pet peeve is when people do not use the word -their, there, they're- properly.
They will use: "It's there turn to drive." *ugh* (proper use would be "It's their turn to drive.")
Or....."Maybe their not home." *another ugh* (proper use would be "Maybe they're not home.")
That shit drives me bat shit crazy ~LoL~

And those who confuse to, too and two. By the way, do you know which (to, too or two) to use in this sentence: There are three (to's, too's, or two's) in the English language?

It's funny when liberals are so arrogant they think they can define who is and who isn't conservative. :lol:

Actually I've asked many times for echo chamber members to define that question. The answer seems to escape them. As a member in good standing how do you define a conservative?
Lose the unmerited arrogance and the echo chamber shit and I'll tell you.
I won't define what a conservative is, never have, I have characterized 'conservatives' self identified 'conservatives', faux conservatives in very unflatterng words (as you known from personal experience).
If you have no definition of "conservative", you have no basis for deciding who is a faux conservative.

You're really not very good at this, are you?
So tell us, what are the characteristics of a real conservative - cause echo chamber members are far fight and have nothing in common with the root word, to conserve. The New Right is radical and hopes to remake America into theocratic plutocracy.
Yeah, yeah, mandatory Christianity, camps for the atheists, yadda yadda.

Forum List

Back