Reforming American Democracy

ShackledNation

Libertarian
Jun 16, 2011
California
So many Americans are fed up with the two parties. But because of the way our democracy works, we are cemented in a two party system. Third parties and independents have little say in American politics. I feel like this needs to change.

Any thoughts?

my thought is people like you should learn what form of government we are supposed to have. that would be a good first step.

my thought is people like you should learn what form of government we are supposed to have. that would be a good first step.

Implying that democracy is not a central tenant in our Constitutional Republic is most absurd. However, you have a history of being absurd.

As for the OP, the two party system is bankrupt. I would like to call it a duopoly, but it is more of a monopoly as there is very little difference in the two parties. I think it would be best to abolish parties all together.

Constitutional Republic. But we have democratic processes as well. That is what I am talking about. Instead of being an ass, you could participate in a meaningful discussion.

Yup.

Amendment XXVIII
Allows absolute regulation of campaign funding and issue advocacy funding at Federal level (overrules Citizens United). Establishes a system for public campaign financing.

Amendment XXIX
Eliminates the Senate Filibuster. Also permits automatic Congressional appointment of executive branch officers and Art. I and Art. III judicial officers in the absence of a Congressional denial of appointment, but Congress may vote for a 30-day extension for confirmation hearings.

Amendment XXX
Clarifies the Commerce Clause and overrules the aggregate effects test. Explicitly limits Federal powers to those specifically enumerated in the Federal Constitution or by Amendment.

Amendment XXXI
Amends the Electoral College to have States to assign electors by majority vote in each Representative District and assigns only one electoral vote per State, plus electoral votes for population (thus, winning an entire state would net one electoral vote, which represents BOTH Senators, but the rest would require winning each district). Also sets firm rules for redistricting (to avoid gerrymandering) and would explicitly allow Federal judicial review of district plans.

Amendment XXXII
Amends Art V requirement, instead of 3/4ths ratification by States, only 3/5ths ratification required for ratification by States, but 2/3ds requirement for Convention itself or Congressional authorization retained and 3/4ths requirement for ratification by Convention retained. Congress no longer proposes the method of Ratification, and States may always Ratify on their own initiative.

Yup.

Amendment XXVIII
Allows absolute regulation of campaign funding and issue advocacy funding at Federal level (overrules Citizens United). Establishes a system for public campaign financing.
How will that allow for more parties to participate?

Amendment XXIX
Eliminates the Senate Filibuster. Also permits automatic Congressional appointment of executive branch officers and Art. I and Art. III judicial officers in the absence of a Congressional denial of appointment, but Congress may vote for a 30-day extension for confirmation hearings.

Amendment XXX
Clarifies the Commerce Clause and overrules the aggregate effects test. Explicitly limits Federal powers to those specifically enumerated in the Federal Constitution or by Amendment.
No need. The constitution already limits federal powers to those enumerated in it. The amendment would be redundant.

Amendment XXXI
Amends the Electoral College to have States to assign electors by majority vote in each Representative District and assigns only one electoral vote per State, plus electoral votes for population (thus, winning an entire state would net one electoral vote, which represents BOTH Senators, but the rest would require winning each district). Also sets firm rules for redistricting (to avoid gerrymandering) and would explicitly allow Federal judicial review of district plans.
How would this allow for more party participation?

Amendment XXXII
Amends Art V requirement, instead of 3/4ths ratification by States, only 3/5ths ratification required for ratification by States, but 2/3ds requirement for Convention itself or Congressional authorization retained and 3/4ths requirement for ratification by Convention retained. Congress no longer proposes the method of Ratification, and States may always Ratify on their own initiative.
Again, I don't see how this has anything to do with the party system, which was the topic of the OP.

The first thing that should be done is stop all this fucking idiotic gerrymandering. This is social and political engineering at its worst, and distorts American politics by pandering to narrow interests.

My choice....

1. Outlaw ALL Political Parties, Political Action Committes and Election Committees.

2. Outlaw ALL donations to any candidate from any person or entity which cannot cast a ballot for that individual (corporations, children, non-voters, and people from other areas)

3. Limit individual private donations to $100 per candidate/office, per year.

Yup.

Amendment XXVIII

Amendment XXIX

Amendment XXXI

Amendment XXXII
Again, I don't see how this has anything to do with the party system, which was the topic of the OP.

All of it helps your cause in some way. But the title of the thread is "Reforming American Democracy," so I went broad.

Amendment XXVIII breaks the capital advantage that the two parties have on the other outcast parties. Amendment XXIX ends the Senate Filibuster, and admittedly this is reaching, but by doing so it pulls a tool out of the partisan box and makes coalition dealing easier (but it really just makes passing laws easier, but that helps, not hurts, multi-party democracy).

Amendment XXXI is most important because the Electoral College is the biggest obstacle to a multi-party system. Observe what Ross Perot's 18% of the vote earned him:

ElectoralCollege1992-Large.png

But if your primary purpose is opening up the field to multiple parties, then you'd abolish the Electoral College altogether. I am not eager to do this, because I don't want direct elections of the President.

Amendment XXXII allows you to make further amendments more easily as necessary, and that weakens the status quo, thus aiding a multi-party system.

My choice....

1. Outlaw ALL Political Parties, Political Action Committes and Election Committees.

2. Outlaw ALL donations to any candidate from any person or entity which cannot cast a ballot for that individual (corporations, children, non-voters, and people from other areas)

I like the idea, but on the federal level it might require and amendment. It would be very interesting to see a state try it first.

Americans are polar. We've almost always been that way. We come from two lines of thinking:

1. Personal Responsibility and Making Your Own Luck
2. Social Responsibility and Realizing that the Playing Field is Uneven

To be honest, I'd rather have this than a multi-party parliamentary system.

Yup.

Amendment XXVIII

Amendment XXXII

All of it helps your cause in some way. But the title of the thread is "Reforming American Democracy," so I went broad.
No worries. I just assumed the discussion would be about parties.

Amendment XXVIII breaks the capital advantage that the two parties have on the other outcast parties. Amendment XXIX ends the Senate Filibuster, and admittedly this is reaching, but by doing so it pulls a tool out of the partisan box and makes coalition dealing easier (but it really just makes passing laws easier, but that helps, not hurts, multi-party democracy).
I'm not sure I like ending filibuster. I think it should be very difficult for Congress to pass laws. Most of them are terrible, so the fewer the better.

Amendment XXXI is most important because the Electoral College is the biggest obstacle to a multi-party system. Observe what Ross Perot's 18% of the vote earned him:

ElectoralCollege1992-Large.png

But if your primary purpose is opening up the field to multiple parties, then you'd abolish the Electoral College altogether. I am not eager to do this, because I don't want direct elections of the President.

Amendment XXXII allows you to make further amendments more easily as necessary, and that weakens the status quo, thus aiding a multi-party system.
I don't favor ending the electoral college. We have enough, if not too much, direct democracy.

My choice....

Fascist.

Americans are polar. We've almost always been that way. We come from two lines of thinking:

1. Personal Responsibility and Making Your Own Luck
2. Social Responsibility and Realizing that the Playing Field is Uneven

To be honest, I'd rather have this than a multi-party parliamentary system.
But we don't have that. That's the problem. Both parties support big government. Their rhetoric is world's apart, but their actual policies are incredibly similar. They all sustain the welfare-warfare state. Bush increased medicare spending, Obama entered into a war in Libya.

I support a party of Liberty and small government. Neither major party fits the bill.

Thanks, Liberty.

I like the idea, but on the federal level it might require and amendment. It would be very interesting to see a state try it first.

On the Federal Level it would definitely require a Constitutional Amendment. The idea is to get the big money and the influence out of the system. That will remove the garbage that only runs to pad its pockets and to make "friends" for later.

No, Authoritarian; but would you care to actually explain what it is you find so unpleasant about the suggestions rather than simply throwing around names that you intend as insults?

Because taking away the political power of the people curtails democracy. If you mean 'taking away democracy' when you say 'reform', then a-ok.

Because taking away the political power of the people curtails democracy. If you mean 'taking away democracy' when you say 'reform', then a-ok.
Well that is not what I am saying. I am trying to increase the power of the people by allowing for more representation of opinion via more than two parties. I did not say abolish democracy, I said reform it. You see, words matter. And I listed clearly my primary goal of having the possibility of more parties and opinions.

Forum List

Back