Reforming American Democracy

Discussion in 'Politics' started by ShackledNation, Jul 12, 2011.

1. ShackledNation

ShackledNation Libertarian

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +324
    So many Americans are fed up with the two parties. But because of the way our democracy works, we are cemented in a two party system. Third parties and independents have little say in American politics. I feel like this needs to change.

Any thoughts?

2. Liberty

Liberty Silver Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +548
    my thought is people like you should learn what form of government we are supposed to have. that would be a good first step.

3. Antiderivative

Antiderivative BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +103
    Implying that democracy is not a central tenant in our Constitutional Republic is most absurd. However, you have a history of being absurd.

As for the OP, the two party system is bankrupt. I would like to call it a duopoly, but it is more of a monopoly as there is very little difference in the two parties. I think it would be best to abolish parties all together.

4. ShackledNation

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +324
    Constitutional Republic. But we have democratic processes as well. That is what I am talking about. Instead of being an ass, you could participate in a meaningful discussion.

5. Kuros

Kuros BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +64
    Yup.

Amendment XXVIII
    Allows absolute regulation of campaign funding and issue advocacy funding at Federal level (overrules Citizens United). Establishes a system for public campaign financing.

Amendment XXIX
    Eliminates the Senate Filibuster. Also permits automatic Congressional appointment of executive branch officers and Art. I and Art. III judicial officers in the absence of a Congressional denial of appointment, but Congress may vote for a 30-day extension for confirmation hearings.

Amendment XXX
    Clarifies the Commerce Clause and overrules the aggregate effects test. Explicitly limits Federal powers to those specifically enumerated in the Federal Constitution or by Amendment.

Amendment XXXI
    Amends the Electoral College to have States to assign electors by majority vote in each Representative District and assigns only one electoral vote per State, plus electoral votes for population (thus, winning an entire state would net one electoral vote, which represents BOTH Senators, but the rest would require winning each district). Also sets firm rules for redistricting (to avoid gerrymandering) and would explicitly allow Federal judicial review of district plans.

Amendment XXXII
    Amends Art V requirement, instead of 3/4ths ratification by States, only 3/5ths ratification required for ratification by States, but 2/3ds requirement for Convention itself or Congressional authorization retained and 3/4ths requirement for ratification by Convention retained. Congress no longer proposes the method of Ratification, and States may always Ratify on their own initiative.

6. ShackledNation

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +324
    How will that allow for more parties to participate?

How will that allow for more parties to participate?

No need. The constitution already limits federal powers to those enumerated in it. The amendment would be redundant.

How would this allow for more party participation?

Again, I don't see how this has anything to do with the party system, which was the topic of the OP.

7. Liberty

Liberty Silver Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +548
    more does not = better. look at israel. 7 parties. *shiver*

8. ShackledNation

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +324
    I agree, not necessarily. Nor does fewer mean better. Look at the United States.

9. Toro

Toro Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +25,108
    The first thing that should be done is stop all this fucking idiotic gerrymandering. This is social and political engineering at its worst, and distorts American politics by pandering to narrow interests.

10. Anachronism

Anachronism BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +231
    My choice....

1. Outlaw ALL Political Parties, Political Action Committes and Election Committees.

2. Outlaw ALL donations to any candidate from any person or entity which cannot cast a ballot for that individual (corporations, children, non-voters, and people from other areas)

3. Limit individual private donations to $100 per candidate/office, per year.