Red Zone-Blue Zone Frustration--

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Quiz, May 20, 2004.

1. Quiz

Quiz Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Would like to hear from one or more of the following:

(*) A die-hard Republican who lives in a reliably (in Presidential races) Democratic state (e.g., New York, Maryland, Mass., etc.) but who *still* religiously votes GOP for Prez every four years. How do you stay motivated to swim against the partisan tide?

(*) A die-hard Democrat who lives in a reliably Republican state (i.e., in the Deep South, Mountain West, etc.) but who *still* religiously votes Democratic for Prez every four years. Same Q: How do you stay motivated and fight off the feeling that your vote doesn't count?

(Truth-in-Trolling Dept.-- I am journalist looking to talk to someone who fits the above category. If that bothers you or violates your personal code of chatdom, please ignore this post... )

Quizzical in D.C.

2. nycflasher

nycflasher Active Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Guess for once I have to shut up, don't fit those cats.

3. freeandfun1

freeandfun1 VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +296
    I do not fit either category, but your question itself points out the problems of this country. . . .

<. . . . religiously votes (insert party). . . . >

Maybe if people would stop voting based strictly on party affiliation, something might get accomplished!

We hammer religion in this country and then turn around and treat politics as if it where a religion. Quite an oxymoron.

Good luck in your research.

4. 5stringJeff

5stringJeff Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +540
    Quiz,

I am a die-hard Republican in Western WA, which is quite liberal. The eastern half of Washington State almost balances the state out, but in the Puget Sound area where I live, politics are pretty liberal.
    So how do I stay motivated? I am convinced that conservative policies are the best by which to govern the nation at all levels of government. I also think that I can convince my friends, neighbors, and other people around me that these policies, and the candidates that espouse them, are the best for our government.
    I am motivated by winning, and I enjoy getting into the competition of politicking: doorbelling, strategizing, advocating positions and candidates, etc. I feel that I am making a difference, even though as a whole my state (and especially my region of the state) is liberal.

Hope this is what you are looking for.

Jeff

5. Quiz

Quiz Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Interesting. I feel your pain. But Washington is more of a swing state, tracking Cali and Oregon, than a locked-up stronghold for one or the other party. Thx for the input, tho...

Quiz

6. Fletch

Fletch Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am a die hard republican in Taxachusetts. While I admit it is hard to bring myself to the poles when I know that Ted Kennedy is going to win every time without even running a campaign, I still go. Why? First it is my obligation as an American. Second it is some sort of twisted thought that by voting against the mainstream I am somehow sticking it to them.

As for interaction. Well I also work in Cambridge, the liberal capital of the world. So I have pretty much resigned myself to being looked a like as an uncaring monster whenever politics is discussed. Also I try to read as much as I can so I can defend my position with facts. Not that it matters with the left.

7. Quiz

Quiz Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Bingo!

Check your private messages...

Quiz

8. Fletch

Fletch Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sent you a message. Anytime is good.

9. 5stringJeff

5stringJeff Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +540
    Not good enough, I guess... :( :sniff:

10. rtwngAvngr

rtwngAvngr Guest

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +511
    He just wanted a state that that was solidly one or the other. Just so his article would have more impact.

I think this occurs in every major city between the intown snooty liberal factions and the suburban family oriented suv driving antichrists.