Recommendations for Military Base name changes released...

No matter what is decided...I'll still call them by the old names.
Very few people know who Polk, Bragg, or A.P. Hill are. They wont know who Moore, Adams or whoever else they name them after 5 years from now. This is pissing in the wind.

Oh, I'm sure many folks will.

It'll be a generational thing. But officially, and in time, the old names will fade away. I will always think of my old training billet ...Fort Leonard Wood.....as "Fort Leonard Wood"....no matter how old I get and how faint my memory of time served becomes.

Though, as Leonard Wood was always a US Army man ...started as an Army physician.... and was only 5years old when the Civil War ended..... I highly doubt his namesake base is caught up in this reckoning over naming military bases after our enemies.

It'll be a generational thing. But officially, and in time, the old names will fade away. I will always think of my old training billet ...Fort Leonard Wood.....as "Fort Leonard Wood"....no matter how old I get and how faint my memory of time served becomes.

Though, as Leonard Wood was always a US Army man ...started as an Army physician.... and was only 5years old when the Civil War ended..... I highly doubt his namesake base is caught up in this reckoning over naming military bases after our enemies.
And a generation from now no one will have any idea why those bases are called what they are called nor will they likely care. They should just name them AB1, AB2, AB3.... Army Base 1, Army Base 2 etc. AFB1, AFB2. It will hold about as much meaning.

Not as bad as it could've been.

I have no problem whatsoever with Fort Eisenhower. I'm actually somewhat surprised he wasn't thusly honored already.

Fort Novosel, representing a Medal of Honor recipient, is appropriate, as is the case with Fort Johnson.

"Fort Cavazos" doesn't roll off the tongue quite as easily as "Fort Hood" does.

Renaming Fort Benning after a married couple is stupid, especially since it's to honor someone who didn't didn't distinguish himself in combat. The couple in mind created what's commonly referred to as "CACO", or Casualty Assistance Calls Officer, who are the people who inform the families of military casualties. A noble thing, but to name a base after them? Makes no sense.

Naming a base for Lt. Col. Charity Adams Earley? For what? Delivering the mail? By the time she got to England Germany was all but defeated. Again, no gallantry or bravery shown on the field of battle which, in my always humble opinion, should be a requirement.

No one is ever going to call Forts Benning, Hood or Lee anything but Forts Benning, Hood and Lee...

I served at Leonard Wood inprocessing ... 43rd AG Battalion...and worked security at a couple of the strip clubs in St. Bob after that... until I met Mrs. Mo in 97.

If you were there in the 90s...we might have met.

Forum List

Back