Recommend an author

The Communist Manifesto and Capital : a critique of political economy by Karl Marx
The Protestant ethic and the spirit of capitalism by Max Weber
The Elementary Forms of Religious Life by Emile Durkheim
The Structure of Social Action by Talcott Parsons
Social Theory and Social Structure by Robert K. Merton
Class and Class Conflict in Industrial Society by Ralf Dahrendorf
The Sociological Imagination by C. Wright Mills
The Polish peasant in Europe and America by William Isaac Thomas
Coming of age in Samoa by Margaret Mead
The Social Construction of Reality by Peter L. Berger
A Social History of Anthropology in the U.S. by Thomas C. Patterson
Myth and Meaning by Claude Lévi-Strauss

You read books that sound very ... packed with knowledge and information. Yes? I read to relax, for the most part.

I post here, watch movies and play video games to relax. I did most of my escape reading when I was much younger, pre-personal computer/internet days. Now I read for knowledge and if it is properly written it can be just as engrossing as a good novel, fantasy adventure or sci-fi book.

I feel that way about Ann Rules' books. True crime.

Did you go to college? I didn't, and I think if I had, I would have some groundwork for reading outside of my comfort zone.

Even if they are from WAY the hell back in the day. For instance; Anne Rice. I've never read her works. Any fans? Dean Koontz? Stephen King? I've got a Kindle gift certificate, and I want to branch out from my usual fantasy fare.

There have been a lot of good suggestions here. I'm a big fantasy/sci-fi reader myself, but I do sometimes read from other genres. I am a fan of Anne Rice, her vampire series (at least the first 5 or 6 books) are very good. I loved the Jack Ryan Tom Clancy books, although I've been less impressed with the other work of his I've read. The Winds of War and War and Remembrance are a great suggestion; Herman Wouk did an exceptional job of giving a feel for what it was like during WWII (whether accurate or not; I wasn't alive, but the books bring out clearly at least what his perspective of that period is).

There's a good chance you've read them already, but if you haven't, go get the Hitchhiker's books from Douglas Adams. They are hilarious, far superior to the attempts that have been made to translate them to film.

George R. R. Martin wrote a number of books before his Song of Ice and Fire books, and he went outside the fantasy genre. Fevre Dream is a vampire-based book, and I know he's written some others I haven't read.

I enjoyed the book Last Day, by Glenn Kleier. It's about god sending a new prophet/messenger and how people react to it, whether they can believe past their own biases (be they religious or atheistic). It was an interesting idea.

I can't think of anything else offhand that isn't sci-fi or fantasy. Stephen King, Tom Clancy or Anne Rice are all good authors to try, since if you like them, they each have a whole lot of books you can read. :)

The poems of Mary Oliver. Operating Instructions by Annie Lamott. Anna Karenina by Leo Tolstoy. All the Ripley novels by Patricia Highsmith.

Even if they are from WAY the hell back in the day. For instance; Anne Rice. I've never read her works. Any fans? Dean Koontz? Stephen King? I've got a Kindle gift certificate, and I want to branch out from my usual fantasy fare.

Hunter Thompson. Any title.

Kurt Vonnegut. You most likely already read Slaughter house five but any of his stuff will do.

T. Mack Durham. The Innocent Man Script for some JFK conspiracy stuff.

Some on here seem to think Ann Coulter is a swell author.

I personally like David Weber, Andre Norton, Louis Lamour and many more.

Last edited:
The ORIGINAL of course!!

The new one SUCKS!!

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MmyJDM09fuQ]ARTHUR - Dudley Moore - Best Drunk Ever - YouTube[/ame]

Some on here seem to think Ann Coulter is a swell author.

I personally like David Weber, Andre Norton, Louis Lamour and many more.

Coulter is awesome

I don't agree with everything she says she, is amusing.

Anne Rices Lestate Vampire series is a fun read.

My X, probably the most literate person I know, was quite fond of the Harry Potter series.

Guess I need to know more about what kind of reading you feel like doing before I can venture a real suggestion.

Is this reading for thinking you're after, or reading for escape?

I approve of BOTH, of course.

You read books that sound very ... packed with knowledge and information. Yes? I read to relax, for the most part.

I post here, watch movies and play video games to relax. I did most of my escape reading when I was much younger, pre-personal computer/internet days. Now I read for knowledge and if it is properly written it can be just as engrossing as a good novel, fantasy adventure or sci-fi book.

Did you go to college? I didn't, and I think if I had, I would have some groundwork for reading outside of my comfort zone.

Yes, I was a 'professional student' :)cool:) for 12 years but that has little to do with it. I was an avid reader in HS who loved history, people (sociology/psychology), Asimov and Tolkien.

Anne Rices Lestate Vampire series is a fun read.

My X, probably the most literate person I know, was quite fond of the Harry Potter series.

Guess I need to know more about what kind of reading you feel like doing before I can venture a real suggestion.

Is this reading for thinking you're after, or reading for escape?

I approve of BOTH, of course.

Escape. And I'm trying to dip tootsy outside fantasy/romfan.

Yes, I was a 'professional student' :)cool:) for 12 years but that has little to do with it. I was an avid reader in HS who loved history, people (sociology/psychology), Asimov and Tolkien.

So you're hard-wired? ;)

I've always been an avid reader, like my mother before me. She tried to start me on Gone With the Wind in second grade. It was boring (since I was 8) so we went with Little Women.

Herman Wouk
Winds of War
War and Remembrance

A back in the day author. These 2 books are not read in a day nor in a week. You want a taste of what the war in Europe was about and how it affected the people, these 2 books are a must read. I like thick books and the characters here become a part of your life from the very beginning.

I read them. they were great.

I just re-read "The Lovely Bones" Alice Sebold

The Art of Racing in the Rain was good.

Now I'm reading "Killing Lincoln" by O'Reilly. Very very good.

Sarah's Key Tatiana De Rosnay

Forum List

Back