Rebates

g5000

Diamond Member
Nov 26, 2011
I think I can count on one hand the number of words in the English language which instantly peg my anger meter.

One of those words is "rebate".

Rebates are theft and a sure way to ensure I never shop in the place that uses them ever again. A Best Buy clerk once used the R-word in a sentence when trying to sell something to me several years ago. I have not darkened their doorway since.

Whenever a sales person uses that word in a sentence, it takes everything I have not to punch them in the face instantaneously. The only reason I don't is because I know they are not the person responsible for creating this deliberate theft scheme.

The people who come up with rebates are on my List of People To Gut Punch On Sight.

Here is how a sales transaction is supposed to work:

Step One: You pay the cashier for the item in their store.

If you are waiting for Step Two, there isn't one.

But if there is a "rebate", there are SEVERAL steps. And there are forms. And there are circles you have to draw, and UPCs you have to cut out, and envelopes and stamps and six to eight week wait periods before being notified you fucked up one of your circles and are not getting your rebate, and by the way the deadline has passed, so you cannot resubmit.

When they get home and discover how complicated the rebate process is, many people don't even try. And that is what the motherfucking scumfuck douchbag fucking assholes count on.

So...yeah. A punch to the face and gut is the LEAST these thieving assholes deserve.

If you hear the word "rebate" in a store, walk away immediately. If you want to say a few choice words with lots of f-bombs first, go right ahead. Tell them to send your message up the chain of command.

If you hear the word "rebate" on the phone, hang up immediately. If you want to say a few choice words with lots of f-bombs first, go right ahead. Tell them to send your message up the chain of command.

I started this topic today because someone said the R-word in my presence and I lost it. I have not lost my cool like that in a long, long time.

I HATE schemes which are deliberately created to find yet another way to rip off customers.

If a store uses the R-word around me, that is probably the last day I shop there. For life. It's a shark-jumping moment.

Last edited:
I've never had an issue submitting a rebate. They do those rather than a discount at the point of sale because they know a certain portion of people will never get around to submitting it or, as you pointed out, fuck it up when they do.

I had one problem just to basically get two gallons of antifreeze free I had to mail in the original UPC's but the original UPC's could not be removed from the jugs without tearing the label and I really had no need for two gallons of concentrated antifreeze at the time. Not to be undone, I just poured them both into a 5 gallon bucket with a lid and cut the UPC's off with the plastic container still attached and mailed them. They were not going to cheat me out of my free antifreeze damn it so I had to go redneck on them. I made sure I cut them as large as I could to fit in the envelope just so whoever had to process it had as much of a pain in the ass with them as I did.

I think I can count on one hand the number of words in the English language which instantly peg my anger meter.

Rebates are theft and a sure way to ensure I never shop in the place that uses them ever again. A Best Buy clerk once used the R-word in a sentence when trying to sell something to me several years ago. I have not darkened their doorway since.

Whenever a sales person uses that word in a sentence, it takes everything I have not to punch them in the face instantaneously. The only reason I don't is because I know they are not the person responsible for creating this deliberate theft scheme.

The people who come up with rebates are on my List of People To Gut Punch On Sight.

But if there is a "rebate", there are SEVERAL steps. And there are forms. And there are circles you have to draw, and UPCs you have to cut out, and envelopes and stamps and six to eight week wait periods before being notified you fucked up one of your circles and are not getting your rebate, and by the way the deadline has passed, so you cannot resubmit.

When they get home and discover how complicated the rebate process is, many people don't even try. And that is what the motherfucking scumfuck douchbag fucking assholes count on.

So...yeah. A punch to the face and gut is the LEAST these thieving assholes deserve.

If you hear the word "rebate" in a store, walk away immediately. If you want to say a few choice words with lots of f-bombs first, go right ahead. Tell them to send your message up the chain of command.

If you hear the word "rebate" on the phone, hang up immediately. If you want to say a few choice words with lots of f-bombs first, go right ahead. Tell them to send your message up the chain of command.

I started this topic today because someone said the R-word in my presence and I lost it. I have not lost my cool like that in a long, long time.

I HATE schemes which are deliberately created to find yet another way to rip off customers.

If a store uses the R-word around me, that is probably the last day I shop there. For life. It's a shark-jumping moment.

Don't shop at the stores or just ignore the rebates and assume the items cost the full price. Why get so pissed about it? ;)

I've never had an issue submitting a rebate. They do those rather than a discount at the point of sale because they know a certain portion of people will never get around to submitting it or, as you pointed out, fuck it up when they do.
Right. It's designed to steal more money from the customer. I will not shop at places with that kind of dishonesty as part of their culture.

Don't shop at the stores or just ignore the rebates and assume the items cost the full price. Why get so pissed about it? ;)
Why am I pissed?

They actually sat down and designed a way to rip off their customers! On purpose!

How could you NOT be pissed about that?

Why am I pissed?

They actually sat down and designed a way to rip off their customers! On purpose!

Because I assume getting more money from the customer is pretty much always the goal of any business I buy from? Because I've used rebates successfully before? Because I know what is involved in rebates going in and so I can either not buy from the company that offers one, or just go through the process I know is involved, or just buy the item and ignore the rebate? Because rebates aren't always difficult to do?

Why am I pissed?

Because I assume getting more money from the customer is pretty much always the goal of any business I buy from? Because I've used rebates successfully before? Because I know what is involved in rebates going in and so I can either not buy from the company that offers one, or just go through the process I know is involved, or just buy the item and ignore the rebate? Because rebates aren't always difficult to do?
Do you keep buying from a store that makes shoddy products? You'd be an idiot if you did, right?

So why do you buy from a store which rips off its customers?

You go in a store. You choose an item. You pay for it. Done.

As a customer, you are an idiot if you allow them to manipulate you into jumping through a bunch more hoops in order to buy their product. A damned fool.

Now why would you need to add more steps to that process?

There is only one reason. To try to rip off the customer.

So I refuse to do business with any store that has that culture.

In the long run, people will get sick of that shit and will stop buying their products and they will die out, just like a store that makes shoddy products.

Why am I pissed?

Do you keep buying from a store that makes shoddy products? You'd be an idiot if you did, right?

In the long run, people will get sick of that shit and will stop buying their products and they will die out, just like a store that makes shoddy products.

Rebate offers have been going on for many years, it doesn't seem like they are going to die out. :dunno:

Why am I pissed?

Rebate offers have been going on for many years, it doesn't seem like they are going to die out. :dunno:
As a customer, you are an idiot if you allow them to manipulate you into jumping through a bunch more hoops in order to buy their product. A damned fool.

Perhaps you are right about them not going away. Perhaps there are a lot more idiot customers out there than I realize.

Why am I pissed?

Perhaps you are right about them not going away. Perhaps there are a lot more idiot customers out there than I realize.

But you don't have to jump through hoops to buy the product. You only have to jump through hoops to get the rebate. You can choose not to do so, and in fact that is one reason they continue to offer rebates : many people don't bother.

I can as easily say that you are an idiot if you aren't willing to jump through a small hoop or two to save some money. You may as well get furious over people who use coupons. It's a similar thing. Spend a little time and effort to spend less money.

Now I can understand getting upset about specific rebates. Maybe there truly are a ton of hoops to go through, maybe the company fucks you over and tries not to pay the refund, whatever. If you don't like rebates in general, though, just don't use them.

You seem to be making a mountain out of a mole hill here.

Why am I pissed?

But you don't have to jump through hoops to buy the product. You only have to jump through hoops to get the rebate. You can choose not to do so, and in fact that is one reason they continue to offer rebates : many people don't bother.

Right. They count on this. You are making my point for me. It's intended to bilk money out of their customers.

I can as easily say that you are an idiot if you aren't willing to jump through a small hoop or two to save some money.
Oh, wow.

A product costs $20 and I buy it.

The same product costs $40 but I get a $20 rebate. Where is the savings?

You are a chump.

Just sell it for $20 and be done.

Add in discount cards. Limit places I shop so I don't collect 20 or 30 of em. Wonder if they factor in lost business on those?

I can as easily say that you are an idiot if you aren't willing to jump through a small hoop or two to save some money.
Oh, wow.

You are a chump.

Ah. So now you are arguing that rebates never actually save money. As a corollary to that argument, I think you'd have to say that people who get rebates never look at other sellers and prices, they just assume that they will spend less with the rebate.

Oh, wow.

You are a chump.

Right. They count on this. You are making my point for me. It's intended to bilk money out of their customers.

Do you think that businesses are trying to do anything other than get as much money as they can from customers? Do you get upset at sales, do you fly into a rage because a store is set up a certain way to get people to impulse buy, do you go scream at management because the music pumped through the speakers is chosen to put customers in a spending mood?

It sounds like you got screwed out of rebate money and are now pouting about it. ;)

Oh, wow.

You are a chump.

Ah. So now you are arguing that rebates never actually save money. As a corollary to that argument, I think you'd have to say that people who get rebates never look at other sellers and prices, they just assume that they will spend less with the rebate.
That incorrect assumption is another thing the scammers count on.

Oh, wow.

You are a chump.

Do you think that businesses are trying to do anything other than get as much money as they can from customers? Do you get upset at sales, do you fly into a rage because a store is set up a certain way to get people to impulse buy, do you go scream at management because the music pumped through the speakers is chosen to put customers in a spending mood?

It sounds like you got screwed out of rebate money and are now pouting about it. ;)
I've never been scammed out of rebate money. Like I said at the top, I leave and never return.

Forum List

Back