Rebates

I can as easily say that you are an idiot if you aren't willing to jump through a small hoop or two to save some money.
Oh, wow.

A product costs $20 and I buy it.

The same product costs $40 but I get a $20 rebate. Where is the savings?

You are a chump.

Ah. So now you are arguing that rebates never actually save money. As a corollary to that argument, I think you'd have to say that people who get rebates never look at other sellers and prices, they just assume that they will spend less with the rebate.
That incorrect assumption is another thing the scammers count on.

I have gotten rebates before on items. Not often, but a few times. In each case, I shopped around before deciding on the item with the rebate. The rebates weren't huge. I could have gotten the items from another seller, but why? I probably saved a few bucks with a cost of simply mailing in a UPC or something like that. Would it be nicer if everything were just cheap without having to go through the trouble? Sure. Is it a big deal? No.

Where we do a lot of grocery shopping there's a gas station/convenience store affiliated on the edge of the parking lot. Before we check out we scan a small card on our key rings and a running total of our purchases is kept. The higher the a accumulated amount the more of a discount we get off the per gallon price of gas at that station. The bride keeps an eagle eye on grocery prices so thus knows they're not gouging us to fund the gas discount/rebate, and the gas is priced competitively with other stations in the area. The most I've ever gotten off the gallon price is 50-something cents because we'd run up the grocery purchases before taking advantage of the deal, but generally it's in the 15-25 cent range. We'd be nuts not to take advantage of the offer and it's a painless process to do so.

I feckin hate rebates also. Basically because I normally don't submit them, which, of course, is the whole idea from their end.

But, I needed tires and called around. One shop was offering 150 bucks in rebates on Goodyear tires during August and another 50 bucks if you signed up for a credit account and paid using it. That ended up being by far the best deal.

As the credit account was issued by citi I figured I could link it through my cards. I was wrong on that, but the Goodyear site had easy enough sign up for online payment, which is the only way I pay literally anything.

Anyway, these rebates. When I bought the tires they handed me a stack of paperwork, which I handed right back and asked them to complete everything but my signature. the guy was like 'okaaaay', but I figured he had about 30 minutes or so while they got the tires on, so he had plenty of time. lol.

I signed it, stuck a stamp on it and mailed it off. got a notice in a few days that it was accepted and in process.

shitty part is that it's 6-8 weeks to 'process', which is ridiculous, but I'll get my moniez.....

I think I can count on one hand the number of words in the English language which instantly peg my anger meter.

One of those words is "rebate".

Rebates are theft and a sure way to ensure I never shop in the place that uses them ever again. A Best Buy clerk once used the R-word in a sentence when trying to sell something to me several years ago. I have not darkened their doorway since.

Whenever a sales person uses that word in a sentence, it takes everything I have not to punch them in the face instantaneously. The only reason I don't is because I know they are not the person responsible for creating this deliberate theft scheme.

The people who come up with rebates are on my List of People To Gut Punch On Sight.

Here is how a sales transaction is supposed to work:

Step One: You pay the cashier for the item in their store.

If you are waiting for Step Two, there isn't one.

But if there is a "rebate", there are SEVERAL steps. And there are forms. And there are circles you have to draw, and UPCs you have to cut out, and envelopes and stamps and six to eight week wait periods before being notified you fucked up one of your circles and are not getting your rebate, and by the way the deadline has passed, so you cannot resubmit.

When they get home and discover how complicated the rebate process is, many people don't even try. And that is what the motherfucking scumfuck douchbag fucking assholes count on.

So...yeah. A punch to the face and gut is the LEAST these thieving assholes deserve.

If you hear the word "rebate" in a store, walk away immediately. If you want to say a few choice words with lots of f-bombs first, go right ahead. Tell them to send your message up the chain of command.

If you hear the word "rebate" on the phone, hang up immediately. If you want to say a few choice words with lots of f-bombs first, go right ahead. Tell them to send your message up the chain of command.

I started this topic today because someone said the R-word in my presence and I lost it. I have not lost my cool like that in a long, long time.

I HATE schemes which are deliberately created to find yet another way to rip off customers.

If a store uses the R-word around me, that is probably the last day I shop there. For life. It's a shark-jumping moment.

Whatever the fuck you post is always the direct opposite of the truth. Thanks.. will look for all rebates!

Forum List

Back