Reagan's worst transgression

I disagree, and I think you are just purposefully ignoring the context of what Reagan was saying.

Personally, I think Reagans biggest miscalculation, mistake, whatever you want to call it, was treading too lightly in the Middle East, and sometimes outright blundering in the Middle East. Too focused on the Soviets to realize what was still in its nascent stages in that part of the world. And too focused on what was politically expedient in the here and now and not taking the longer view as to what the consequences of our actions might be.

Marine Barracks bombing? Sorry, I would have gone in there with a big fuck-you and cleaned out that nest. That was an act of war. And what was our reaction? Invading Grenada and then turning tail out of Lebanon.

Supporting Iraq? Politically expedient, but no longview on what we might be helping to create.

Supporting the mujaheddin? Exact same thing. Although we had the opportunity to actually help them after the Soviets left (that would have been good). But instead we left too.

I think Reagan was a good president. Better than the alternatives at the time. But he did have some short-comings.

You know what's really funny? The people who are now saying government has only our best interests at heart were saying from January 2001-January 2009 how horrible government was.

Yup. Now that the Dems are in control and sweeping the country down the drain... it's all good.
Indeed. So it's not that they don't like oppressive, Constitution-shredding government...they only like it when they're running an oppressive, Constitution-shredding government.

The worst thing Ronals Reagsn did as President was that he fostered this notion that "the government" is bad.

This has led a whole generation of Americans to distrust and even despise their government.

Our government is the very embodiment of our Constitution.

Am I saying I approve of everything our gov does? Hell no. But I believe in America and it is based on Constitutional Government. Those who continually debase the government are not lovers of America.

Wow. Just fucking wow.

The government is NOT the embodiment of our Constitution. Go get refund on your education.

Tell Me, does the Declaration of Independence speak of 'We the People" or does is say, "The government"?

In the preamble to the Constitution, It says:

We the People of the United States, in Order to form a more perfect Union, establish Justice, insure domestic Tranquility, provide for the common defence, promote the general Welfare, and secure the Blessings of Liberty to ourselves and our Posterity, do ordain and establish this Constitution for the United States of America
It does NOT says,

The Government, in Order to form a more perfect Union, establish Justice, insure domestic Tranquility, provide for the common defence, promote the general Welfare, and secure the Blessings of Liberty to ourselves and our Posterity, do ordain and establish this Constitution for the United States of America
Guess what and who is the real embodiment of our country?

This has got to be the stupidest attack on Ronald Reagan I've ever seen.

Government IS ALWAYS the problem and NEVER the solution and the most frightening sentence in the English language is:

"Hi, we are from the government and we are here to help."

Ask government how well they have done by the Native American. Then get back to Me on how great government is.

Ask government how well they have done by the Native American. Then get back to Me on how great government is.

Why would the U.S. Government do well by the Native Americans? They're not U.S. Citizens, and they happily inform the wider country of that fact every instance that they can. Asking them how well the U.S. Government is treating them, makes as much sense as asking Tibetans how well the Austrian government is acting towards them, or asking Italians how well the South African government is treating them. It just doesn't make any sense.

Why would the U.S. Government do well by the Native Americans? They're not U.S. Citizens, and they happily inform the wider country of that fact every instance that they can. Asking them how well the U.S. Government is treating them, makes as much sense as asking Tibetans how well the Austrian government is acting towards them, or asking Italians how well the South African government is treating them. It just doesn't make any sense.
Perhaps you should do some research on how free of the US Government the Native Americans are. Get back to Me on that.

Does anyone else notice the left is spending a lot of energy trying to tear down a President elected 30 years ago that is widely regarded as one of the best presidents of the 20th century instead of crowing about the greatness of the current president?

Does anyone else notice the left is spending a lot of energy trying to tear down a President elected 30 years ago that is widely regarded as one of the best presidents of the 20th century instead of crowing about the greatness of the current president?

Yeah, I did note that. Look at what they have had to work with. The best they can muster is a mediocre President who turned a surname into a verb.

Yeah, I did note that. Look at what they have had to work with. The best they can muster is a mediocre President who turned a surname into a verb.

It is a very tough time to be a Democrat these days - Obama-Pelosi-Reid and company have turned it into a vile term loathed by more and more Americans each day...

The worst thing Ronals Reagsn did as President was that he fostered this notion that "the government" is bad.

This has led a whole generation of Americans to distrust and even despise their government.

Our government is the very embodiment of our Constitution.

Am I saying I approve of everything our gov does? Hell no. But I believe in America and it is based on Constitutional Government. Those who continually debase the government are not lovers of America.

I do not believe he ever said government is bad, he just pointed out that government is not the answer to our problems.

By the way, the Constitution was written to restrict government, not embody it. Once you understand that fundamental concept everything else starts to make sense.

REAGAN was our First Clue,

that they're ALL FUCKING ACTORS.

Did you miss That Memo?

Or just fail to think it ALL through?

Yeah. You, Me, and a Bunch of other folks.

Last edited:
"Government IS the problem" Ronald Reagan

It's been the right wing mantra for thirty years.

Which simply means that government is not the solution.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x59wNGHe6iI]YouTube - President Reagan - Government is the Problem[/ame]

But thanks for making yourself look stupid.

"Government IS the problem" Ronald Reagan

It's been the right wing mantra for thirty years.

Which simply means that government is not the solution.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x59wNGHe6iI]YouTube - President Reagan - Government is the Problem[/ame]

But thanks for making yourself look stupid.
So what is the solution for Cons, Corporations?

I disagree: the worst thing Reagan did was lie to the American people in order to wage a War of Terror on poor people in Nicaragua, ruining it possibly forever; even more than it already had been ruined by 40 years of an American-backed, American-imposed, kleptocratic dictatorship. Not only this, but bribing all its less-than-savory neighbors (Costa Rica included) to allow this war to continue and encourage undermining the peace process for years; topping it all off with a big "Fuck You" to the International Criminal Court after it found the united States guilty of virtually fucking Nicaragua in the ass.

Close seconds? Rekindling a massive arms race not only in the US but most importantly abroad (one component having been the now-infamous sale of missiles to Iran to fund his terrorists in Central America while simultaneously arming nieghbouring Iraq), and the illegal and widely condemned invasion of Granada.

I don't agree.

Reagan was a member of the "government" after all.

I don't think it was so much that "government is bad" but that a certain type of government is bad. Some will agree, some will disagree, but I don't think Reagan would have opposed a Constitutional government in the least - he just might differ from you on what is a Constitutional government and what is not.

He just used the government for his and his cronies benefit--all of the tax cuts, star wars funding, ridiculing the poor--he was a total ass.

Forum List

Back