Reagan's worst transgression

I don't agree.

Reagan was a member of the "government" after all.

I don't think it was so much that "government is bad" but that a certain type of government is bad. Some will agree, some will disagree, but I don't think Reagan would have opposed a Constitutional government in the least - he just might differ from you on what is a Constitutional government and what is not.

He just used the government for his and his cronies benefit--all of the tax cuts, star wars funding, ridiculing the poor--he was a total ass.
You of course have links proving any of that, right?

I disagree: the worst thing Reagan did was lie to the American people in order to wage a War of Terror on poor people in Nicaragua, ruining it possibly forever; even more than it already had been ruined by 40 years of an American-backed, American-imposed, kleptocratic dictatorship. Not only this, but bribing all its less-than-savory neighbors (Costa Rica included) to allow this war to continue and encourage undermining the peace process for years; topping it all off with a big "Fuck You" to the International Criminal Court after it found the united States guilty of virtually fucking Nicaragua in the ass.

Close seconds? Rekindling a massive arms race not only in the US but most importantly abroad (one component having been the now-infamous sale of missiles to Iran to fund his terrorists in Central America while simultaneously arming nieghbouring Iraq), and the illegal and widely condemned invasion of Granada.

RETARD ALERT. Retard alert.

"Government IS the problem" Ronald Reagan

It's been the right wing mantra for thirty years.

Which simply means that government is not the solution.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x59wNGHe6iI"]YouTube - President Reagan - Government is the Problem[/ame]

But thanks for making yourself look stupid.
So what is the solution for Cons, Corporations?

I am pretty sure the solution is people being able to make choices and do what they need to do.

I am pretty sure the solution is people being able to make choices and do what they need to do.

16830.jpg

Heretic! Outcast unclean! You...you...you individual!!

Ask government how well they have done by the Native American. Then get back to Me on how great government is.

Why would the U.S. Government do well by the Native Americans? They're not U.S. Citizens, and they happily inform the wider country of that fact every instance that they can. Asking them how well the U.S. Government is treating them, makes as much sense as asking Tibetans how well the Austrian government is acting towards them, or asking Italians how well the South African government is treating them. It just doesn't make any sense.

The text of the 1924 Indian Citizenship Act (43 U.S. Stats. At Large, Ch. 233, p. 253 (1924)) reads as follows:

BE IT ENACTED by the Senate and house of Representatives of the United States of America in Congress assembled, That all non citizen Indians born within the territorial limits of the United States be, and they are hereby, declared to be citizens of the United States: Provided That the granting of such citizenship shall not in any manner impair or otherwise affect the right of any Indian to tribal or other property." Approved, June 2, 1924. June 2, 1924. [H. R. 6355.] [Public, No. 175.] SIXTY-EIGHTH CONGRESS. Sess. I. CHS. 233. 1924. See House Report No. 222, Certificates of Citizenship to Indians, 68th Congress, 1st Session, Feb. 22, 1924. Note: This statute has been codified in the United States Code at Title 8, Sec. 1401(b).

Does anyone else notice the left is spending a lot of energy trying to tear down a President elected 30 years ago that is widely regarded as one of the best presidents of the 20th century instead of crowing about the greatness of the current president?

It's called History revisioned right before your eyes.

Reagan's worst transgression? Forcing a Democratic Congress to do as he said on Defense spending. You Democrats have never forgotten that even though you controlled both Houses of Congress Reagan shut down the Government and forced you to pay for his Defense Budget.

And what happened when he did that? You Democrats ANNOUNCED to the world you would match every dollar he spent on social programs. The deficits we suffered under Reagan were the DIRECT result of Democratic snobbery.

Go ahead check every budget he ever submitted, you will discover that the Democratic Congress INCREASED spending well beyond what the President ask for.

Reagan's worst transgression? Forcing a Democratic Congress to do as he said on Defense spending. You Democrats have never forgotten that even though you controlled both Houses of Congress Reagan shut down the Government and forced you to pay for his Defense Budget.

And what happened when he did that? You Democrats ANNOUNCED to the world you would match every dollar he spent on social programs. The deficits we suffered under Reagan were the DIRECT result of Democratic snobbery.

Go ahead check every budget he ever submitted, you will discover that the Democratic Congress INCREASED spending well beyond what the President ask for.
actually the GOP had a small majority in the senate for 6 of his 8 years in office
if i remember correctly

actually the GOP had a small majority in the senate for 6 of his 8 years in office
if i remember correctly

Not his first two. And that is when he broke the Dems. Also it was 2 years not 6, If I remember right.

The worst thing Ronals Reagsn did as President was that he fostered this notion that "the government" is bad.

This has led a whole generation of Americans to distrust and even despise their government.

Our government is the very embodiment of our Constitution.

Am I saying I approve of everything our gov does? Hell no. But I believe in America and it is based on Constitutional Government. Those who continually debase the government are not lovers of America.

I'd really blame Nixon for starting any distrust in government.

And before that I blame the assassination of JFK making us distrust our government, and before that.....the bombing of Pearl Harbor, and after nixon and reagan, I blame letting 9/11 happen, not having enough Intelligence in our mists to prevent such from happening here on our homeland ground with the gazillion of dollars we spend on National Security, and then Katrina and the handling of such...taught me that our gvt can not be counted on in a natural disaster or crisis...this lead me to stock my own food and water for emergency purposes etc, then after that....the House of Cards that took place on Wall Street with the sub-prime Mortgage fiasco/bubble and our govt knowingly ALLOWING it to happen as my 401k's went down the drain...

there is much that has "gone wrong" that has lead me to believe that our government will never be perfect, mainly because it is not made up of Gods but made up of humans and bottom line, humans are not perfect.....no matter how much we may try to be, we are flawed, we make mistakes....and big ones at that!

I think the worst thing that Reagan did while he was President was give us working souls, a 100% Tax HIKE/ tax increase for our social security taxes....he DOUBLED what we were having to pay in Social security tax for both the worker and for their employer....the biggest tax increase on the working man, in our history! While, he did NOT put social security surplusses in a LOCK BOX at the time he raised our taxes, so that the hike really would have been for the boomer's retirement. Instead he began the trend of using the Social Security surplus taxes to pay for what income taxes should have been paying for and issuing essentially an IOU to SS.

That is the BIGGEST mistake he made that is hitting us now....over$4-5 trillion dollars of surplus SS dollars spent or given to the wealthiest in tax cuts, with IOU's coming due now, when we have no income tax money to pay for them....

and those rich ones that never pay in to SS on the entirety of what they make, got the bulk of that SS surplus in tax breaks for them, and they are now complaining about a tax increase that would make them pay back the SS surplus that they TOOK in tax cuts from the SS tax payer and from the workers in this country's SS retirement fund.

Care

The worst thing Ronals Reagsn did as President was that he fostered this notion that "the government" is bad.

This has led a whole generation of Americans to distrust and even despise their government.

Am I saying I approve of everything our gov does? Hell no. But I believe in America and it is based on Constitutional Government. Those who continually debase the government are not lovers of America.

You do realize that the framers of the Constitution had an inherent distrust of government don't you? Why else were they so very careful to restrict the power of government?

And if you want a presidential quote on government, our very first president has the best one in my opinion

“Government is not reason, it is not eloquence, it is force; like fire, a troublesome servant and a fearful master. Never for a moment should it be left to irresponsible action.”

Government should be seen as a necessary evil nothing more.

if i remember correctly

Not his first two. And that is when he broke the Dems. Also it was 2 years not 6, If I remember right.

The republicans in congress had 6 years in both houses, in the majority.... there was a few month period where the dems had some power because Jeffords(or something like that) went to independent and left the repubs, but then it switched right back to republicans when that Liberal Senator died in a plane crash and got replaced by a republican.... The republicaqns had 6 straight years of majority in both houses under president clinton as well....so they had nearly 12 years of complete congressional control/power before 2007.

if i remember correctly

The republicans in congress had 6 years in both houses, in the majority.... there was a few month period where the dems had some power because Jeffords(or something like that) went to independent and left the repubs, but then it switched right back to republicans when that Liberal Senator died in a plane crash and got replaced by a republican.... The republicaqns had 6 straight years of majority in both houses under president clinton as well....so they had nearly 12 years of complete congressional control/power before 2007.
that was under Bush, not Reagan

and for Bush the first 2 years the senate had a slim majority for the dems, that shifted to the GOP in 2002
then in 2006 the dems took over both

Last edited:

that was under Bush, not Reagan

and for Bush the first 2 years the senate had a slim majority for the dems, that shifted to the GOP in 2002
then in 2006 the dems took over both

oooooops!

No, with president bush, the republicans BEGAN in the senate with the majority and trent lott as leader, then they lost the majority with Jeffords quitting the repubs and becoming an independent then they gained the majority back with Paul Wellstone's 2002 death with the elected republican replacement.....if memory serves me....

You do realize that the framers of the Constitution had an inherent distrust of government don't you? Why else were they so very careful to restrict the power of government?

And if you want a presidential quote on government, our very first president has the best one in my opinion

“Government is not reason, it is not eloquence, it is force; like fire, a troublesome servant and a fearful master. Never for a moment should it be left to irresponsible action.”

Government should be seen as a necessary evil nothing more.
The Statists are incapable of understanding that.

Forum List

Back