Reagan vs Obama

Reagan's economic policies were an unmitigated disaster. There were not one..but two major bailouts and multiple bank failures. It took the very pragmatic and very sound domestic policies of George HW Bush to steer the United States out of failure. But heck..the mythmaking continues unabated by the right..

Further proof that you are a BLITHERING IDIOT.

Reagan's policies led to one of the most successful economic expansions and period of job creation in history.

So you support his tax rates?

Working on dropping them to 28%?? Sure... I'll go for that... but like I said... across the board

the tax rate was nearly 70 percent under reagans first year.

he then lowered it to 50% for most of his term.

He only lowered it further in his last years.

That lowered revenue caused Bush 41 to raise it back up due to debt

If 50% was good enough for Reagan why do the republican want it cut into HALF that amount?

Because republicans dont care about debt.

And the truth shall set them free ~~
But not until it pisses them off!​

Uh... lowering rates did not lead to losses in revenue under Reagan except in 82 and 83... revenues increased even when the upper rate was put down to 28%...

Problems, much like today, are not revenues.... but increased government spending

If 50% was good enough for Reagan why do the republican want it cut into HALF that amount?

Because republicans dont care about debt.

As long as you and your McDonalds wage earning brethren start paying the exact same 50% rate on every dollar earned as well...

But like I said... I don't think you'll see support for tax increases if everyone has the same % stake in the game... and you would also more likely see a call for reduced government spending

And an ever consistent call for selective equal treatment...

"Higher taxes on the rich.. higher taxes on the rich...." sounds like a goddamn parrot, and about as bright as one

And I'll take the top bracket tax rates in 88 under Reagan, any day... as long as the rest of you fuckers start paying the exact same rate on every dollar earned as well

And lest we forget the levels and availability of itemized deductions, before you ignorant lefties keep continuing with a call for 70 or 90% tax rates

Who is calling for 70 or 90% top tax rates? How about just rolling them back to pre-Bush levels?

Then best make it across the board on every dollar earned... and not some selective 'vilify the rich' scam...

Funny.. think you'll lose a lot of support for tax hikes then, when everyone has the same % stake in the game

I thought we were talking about the greatness of Reagan compared to Obama. Did Reagan have a flat tax system?

They have been fed a diet of lies about reagan.

they refuse to let them go no matter how false they are.

Reagan's whole approach to fiscal calamity was the polar opposite of Obama's. Reagan reinforced an American can-do philosophy, whether or not it made economic sense, whereas Obama applies a more pragmatic approach with the hope that the American people will get it. Maybe he too should just start telling us that everything will turn out just peachy if we just stay the course his predecessors embarked upon.

What Would Ronnie Do? - Print - Newsweek

Who is calling for 70 or 90% top tax rates? How about just rolling them back to pre-Bush levels?

Then best make it across the board on every dollar earned... and not some selective 'vilify the rich' scam...

Funny.. think you'll lose a lot of support for tax hikes then, when everyone has the same % stake in the game

I thought we were talking about the greatness of Reagan compared to Obama. Did Reagan have a flat tax system?

Nope.... did not... wish he would have pushed for it, but I can't change the past nor was I of voting age until 87..

But I do call for the flat tax now, while ones like you and your support of selective equal treatment by government will never do so... for reasons that are quite clearly in support of your class warfare agenda

Was Reagan a perfect President?? Hell no... but leaps and bounds better than what we have had since him

Class warfare agenda?

You mean going back to a tax rate that worked to give us the greatest nation in the world?

Reagan's economic policies were an unmitigated disaster. There were not one..but two major bailouts and multiple bank failures. It took the very pragmatic and very sound domestic policies of George HW Bush to steer the United States out of failure. But heck..the mythmaking continues unabated by the right..

Further proof that you are a BLITHERING IDIOT.

Reagan's policies led to one of the most successful economic expansions and period of job creation in history.

Topped only by Clinton's economic policies!

Oh, and Eisenhowers.

And Trumans.

Because a graduated tax rate is more fair.

To tax people who are barely making it the same as people who are making 400 times that is a receipe for disastor.

It is another load of bull you have been handed and lapped up like so much pablum.

the reason it will never happen is that rational people know simplicity doesnt mean success

Reagan also won the cold war you liberal ass wipe.Saving this nation billions of dollars.

Because a graduated tax rate is more fair.

To tax people who are barely making it the same as people who are making 400 times that is a receipe for disastor.

It is another load of bull you have been handed and lapped up like so much pablum.

the reason it will never happen is that rational people know simplicity doesnt mean success

And your judgment of 'fair' is completely motherfucking SUBJECTIVE.....

Life ain't "fair"... and what this free society is supposed to be premised on is equal treatment by government.... whether that equal treatment brings you personal positives or negatives is of no consequence...

But see... little assholes like you only call for equal treatment by government when it benefits you, and fully support unequal treatment when it benefits you

What was the tax on the 1% when Reagan was in office?

How dep was the recession Ronnie dealth with?

Who got us out of the great depression?

Certainly not FDR.

1. Arthur Schlesinger, Jr., liberal New Deal historian wrote in The National Experience, in 1963, “Though the policies of the Hundred Days had ended despair, they had not produce recovery…” He also wrote honestly about the devastating crash of 1937- in the midst of the “second New Deal” and Roosevelt’s second term. “The collapse in the months after September 1937 was actually more severe than it had been in the first nine months of the depression: national income fell 13 %, payrolls 35 %, durable goods production 50 %, profits 78% .

2. In 1935, the Brookings Institution (left-leaning) delivered a 900-page report on the New Deal and the National Recovery Administration, concluding that “ on the whole it retarded recoveryArticles & Commentary

I understand that this bit of remediation will not change neither your thinking nor your posts, but I appreciate the fact that we, therefore, make a dynamite pair.

You go on fudging the truth, and I'll go on correcting you!

You are really just too funny, PC. You cite a 1935 Brookings Institution report (the series of economic programs called "The New Deal" took place over three years, through 1936, so any "conclusion" by Brookings would have been premature.) But then you go on to post a link trying to prove that "conclusion" came from Brookings when in fact it's from the right wing American Enterprise Institute dated 2007!!!

"...when in fact it's from the right wing American Enterprise..."
What a great opportunity you have to eat crow, Mags....
...you couldn't be more wrong....and the honorable thing would be to apologize.
Now, you're honorable, aren't you?

You really need to clean your specs....or find out what quotation marks mean. The phrase "on the whole it retarded recovery" is a direct quote from Brookings.

And, before your abject apology, you might wish to ruminate over the following:

"In February 1935, Roosevelt asked Congress that the NRA be extended another two years. Congress did vote for an extension, but only for one year because of all the complaints. Despite Richberg’s efforts, opposition to the NRA grew stronger and stronger by the time the U.S. Supreme Court struck it down as unconstitutional on May 29, 1935.

Economists at the Brookings Institution reported, “The NRA on the whole retarded recovery.” Roosevelt’s Brain Truster Raymond Moley was among the framers of the NRA who later acknowledged the error of their ways. “Planning an economy in normal times is possible only through the discipline of a police state,” he reflected."
Obama’s Link to “Old Iron Pants” by Jim Powell

And:
"Not only, did the NRA provide fewer advantages than unionists had anticipated, but it also failed as a recovery, measure. It probably even retarded recovery by supporting restrictionism and price increases, concluded a Brookings study."
Hist 221 FDR Bernstein « Gil Troy — Courses

So, it was a statement by the Brookings Institute, wasn't it?

And...did you get the reference to a "police state"... you down with that, too?

Isn't it a wonderful education you get here?

Did I just ruin your evening?

Forum List

Back