CDZ Read this article and tell us we don't need the death penalty...

2aguy

Diamond Member
Jul 19, 2014
I just found this article on criminals who were spared the death penalty, who then went on to rape and murder again and again...

This is why I support the death penalty.....it makes sure that no other innocent victims are created by foolish mercy of unaffected bureaucrats...

Mcduff is just one of the monsters covered in the story, and the victims seem endless...

Of Junkie Justices and Evolving Indecency - American Greatness

Fort Worth, Texas, 1966: Teenagers Mark Dunnam, Robert Brand, and Edna Sullivan were hanging out one evening at a neighborhood ballfield when Kenneth McDuff approached them with gun drawn. He robbed them, then forced them into the trunk of their car. “They got a good look at my face. I’ll have to kill them,” he told Roy Dale Green, a friend who was tagging along with him. He drove his victims out into the country, killed the boys by shooting them in the face, then raped the girl, had his buddy rape her, raped her again, and finally threw her down and pressed a broomstick against her throat until her neck broke. His accomplice, horrified and remorseful, walked into a police station and ratted him out the next day..............

Austin, Texas, 1991: Colleen Reed, a young accountant, was hosing down her car one night at a self-service car wash when Kenneth McDuff lunged into her wash bay and dragged her to his car in the next bay over . . .

Wait a minute! Is that the same Kenneth McDuff who killed those kids in 1966?
------

“Don’t Be Like Pontius Pilate”

We now rejoin Kenneth McDuff and Colleen Reed. Saved from the electric chair by the Supreme Court, and granted parole because of a federal judge’s order to ease prison crowding, McDuff killed Reed five days after Christmas 1991. Her bones weren’t found until 1998; McDuff was convicted of her murder on the testimony of Alva Hank Worley, like Roy Green in 1966 a compliant accomplice, who was out cruising Austin with McDuff that night.

Worley had a child of his own, a girl of 14, and when detectives looking for McDuff questioned him and appealed to his paternal feelings, Worley broke down. He actually started screaming. The distraught man unburdened himself, telling how Reed cried, “Please, not me,” when McDuff grabbed her, how they took turns raping her on the way out of town, and how McDuff asked to borrow a shovel as he dropped Worley off at his house, saying, “I’m going to use her up.”

A few weeks after that, McDuff abducted Melissa Ann Northrup, a 22-year-old pregnant mother of two, from the Waco convenience store where they both worked. Her body was found two months later in a gravel pit near Dallas. This case got McDuff on “America’s Most Wanted,” which led to his arrest and trial in both the Northrup and Reed deaths.

During his trial in Waco, McDuff’s defense attorneys urged jurors not to be like Pontius Pilate, who “caved in to public demand” and sent Jesus to the cross. The jury, unimpressed, returned McDuff to Death Row. In 1998, he finally paid the price, more than 30 years after he first shed innocent blood. His execution closed the books on more than a dozen rape-murders committed while he was on parole.

I just found this article on criminals who were spared the death penalty, who then went on to rape and murder again and again...

This is why I support the death penalty.....it makes sure that no other innocent victims are created by foolish mercy of unaffected bureaucrats...

Mcduff is just one of the monsters covered in the story, and the victims seem endless...

Fort Worth, Texas, 1966: Teenagers Mark Dunnam, Robert Brand, and Edna Sullivan were hanging out one evening at a neighborhood ballfield when Kenneth McDuff approached them with gun drawn. He robbed them, then forced them into the trunk of their car. “They got a good look at my face. I’ll have to kill them,” he told Roy Dale Green, a friend who was tagging along with him. He drove his victims out into the country, killed the boys by shooting them in the face, then raped the girl, had his buddy rape her, raped her again, and finally threw her down and pressed a broomstick against her throat until her neck broke. His accomplice, horrified and remorseful, walked into a police station and ratted him out the next day..............

Austin, Texas, 1991: Colleen Reed, a young accountant, was hosing down her car one night at a self-service car wash when Kenneth McDuff lunged into her wash bay and dragged her to his car in the next bay over . . .

------

We now rejoin Kenneth McDuff and Colleen Reed. Saved from the electric chair by the Supreme Court, and granted parole because of a federal judge’s order to ease prison crowding, McDuff killed Reed five days after Christmas 1991. Her bones weren’t found until 1998; McDuff was convicted of her murder on the testimony of Alva Hank Worley, like Roy Green in 1966 a compliant accomplice, who was out cruising Austin with McDuff that night.

Worley had a child of his own, a girl of 14, and when detectives looking for McDuff questioned him and appealed to his paternal feelings, Worley broke down. He actually started screaming. The distraught man unburdened himself, telling how Reed cried, “Please, not me,” when McDuff grabbed her, how they took turns raping her on the way out of town, and how McDuff asked to borrow a shovel as he dropped Worley off at his house, saying, “I’m going to use her up.”

A few weeks after that, McDuff abducted Melissa Ann Northrup, a 22-year-old pregnant mother of two, from the Waco convenience store where they both worked. Her body was found two months later in a gravel pit near Dallas. This case got McDuff on “America’s Most Wanted,” which led to his arrest and trial in both the Northrup and Reed deaths.

During his trial in Waco, McDuff’s defense attorneys urged jurors not to be like Pontius Pilate, who “caved in to public demand” and sent Jesus to the cross. The jury, unimpressed, returned McDuff to Death Row. In 1998, he finally paid the price, more than 30 years after he first shed innocent blood. His execution closed the books on more than a dozen rape-murders committed while he was on parole.
Democrats must love this guy.

------

Really I'm all for the death penalty!

You've read me typing about the "wheel of death" for all capital offenses where no matter how rich you were or cute you look every one has that small chance of getting executed for things like murder (including drunk/stoned driving murder). I mean that honestly.

Of interesting note, at first glance I'd think the Democrats as ridiculed would be all for it.

It is a perfect big government program to eliminate undesirables from the population. The D's also don't have the obvious Christian New Testament objection to it.

Sometimes it seems like each party just picks an opposite view. The D's haven't accomplished much on this front and the R's haven't accomplished much against abortion either. Maybe its a non party issue?

For the sake of discussion...

Since penalties are basically a state issue and my state allows juries sentencing options of 'death, or life without parole' with the judge having the final say - my vote goes to 'life without parole'...which actually is a death sentence and serves the purpose of protecting society from the monsters. Doing Time in Florida Prisons (where a life sentence for murder means life). If that were not the case I might re-think my position.

I am pro-life - be it the unborn or the criminal, for very different reasons.

The death penalty triggers an automatic appeal at tax payer expense. Being kept on death row is more expensive than in the general population. More importantly - the state should not be in the business, in the name of The People, of taking something they cannot give back...nor to cause other innocent families to suffer the same agony the perpetrator caused the family of his victim.

That said, in the heat of the moment could I take a life when protecting the lives of others or my own? - no doubt. Go figure...guess that makes me a hypocrite after all

:dunno:

The real problem was that effing judge that let the guy out of prison. How many people have erroneously been put to death via the death penalty? Every once in awhile we hear of a case where we find out that some person has been wrongfully locked up for 30 effing years, had we executed the person we would have put to death the wrong person. Personally, I don't think as a society we should take that chance. Instead, we need to make sure people like McDuff never get out of prison.

Since penalties are basically a state issue and my state allows juries sentencing options of 'death, or life without parole' with the judge having the final say - my vote goes to 'life without parole'...which actually is a death sentence and serves the purpose of protecting society from the monsters. Doing Time in Florida Prisons (where a life sentence for murder means life). If that were not the case I might re-think my position.

The death penalty triggers an automatic appeal at tax payer expense. Being kept on death row is more expensive than in the general population. More importantly - the state should not be in the business, in the name of The People, of taking something they cannot give back...nor to cause other innocent families to suffer the same agony the perpetrator caused the family of his victim.

That said, in the heat of the moment could I take a life when protecting the lives of others or my own? - no doubt. Go figure...guess that makes me a hypocrite after all

No, not a hypocrite, just human. Anyone who says they would not take a life to save a life is either stupid, or crazy.

Did you happen to read the article? One of these monsters was involved in a prison riot where guards and civilians were killed, another guy escaped and raped women before he was captured...

And those appeals still happen with the guys in prison for life.....

On December 5, 1971, the petitioner, Ehrlich Anthony Coker, raped and then stabbed to death a young woman. Less than eight months later, Coker kidnapped and raped a second young woman, . . . stripped her, severely beat her with a club, and dragged her into a wooded area where he left her for dead.

He was apprehended and pleaded guilty [and was sentenced] to three life terms, two 20-year terms, and one 8-year term of imprisonment [all] to run consecutively, rather than concurrently. . . . Petitioner escaped from the state prison where he was serving these sentences. He promptly raped another 16-year-old woman in the presence of her husband, abducted her from her home, and threatened her with death and serious bodily harm.

It is this crime for which the sentence now under review was imposed. The Court today holds that the State of Georgia may not impose the death penalty on Coker. In so doing, it prevents the State from imposing any effective punishment upon Coker for his latest rape. The Court’s holding, moreover, bars Georgia from guaranteeing its citizens that they will suffer no further attacks by this habitual rapist. In fact, given the lengthy sentences Coker must serve for the crimes he has already committed, the Court’s holding assures that petitioner—as well as others in his position—will henceforth feel no compunction whatsoever about committing further rapes as frequently as he may be able to escape from confinement and indeed even within the walls of the prison itself.

And another one....

Though known to be a serial killer, Winston Moseley was saved from the death chamber by a New York appellate court in 1967—a year that, because of relentless litigation against capital punishment, saw the beginning of a decade-long nationwide moratorium on executions. (The moratorium would end one year after Gregg v. Georgia, when Utah lifer Gary Gilmore dismissed his lawyers and chose death by firing squad rather than endure further incarceration. Gilmore’s famous last words? “Let’s do it.”)

In 1968, one year after being saved by the New York court, Moseley committed another rape during a short-lived jailbreak. No consequences, of course, befell the judges who had saved him. In 1971, Moseley participated in the Attica prison riot, which killed a guard and three inmates at its beginning and ended with the deaths of 10 hostages and 29 inmates when police retook the prison. In later years, Moseley sought parole and was rejected 18 times before he died behind bars in 2016 at 81 years of age, 52 years after Kitty Genovese’s death at 28.

And this is life in prison.....

In 1977, Wyoming’s death penalty statute was overturned in accordance with Woodson v. North Carolina, with the result that Ronald Kennedy’s and Jerry Jenkins’ death sentences were reduced to life imprisonment. “Every time the two would come up for parole,” the Associated Press reported in 1992, Rebecca Thompson “would relive that endless night. For the past two years, Kennedy had been appealing for a retrial—an effort that friends say deeply troubled and frightened her.”

On July 31, 1992, Rebecca returned to Fremont Canyon Bridge and plunged a second time into the North Platte River, joining Amy in death. Kennedy’s bid for a new trial had just been turned down, but she didn’t get the word in time. Six years later, Jenkins would die of heart failure, still behind bars.

But Kennedy thrived in prison, “earning privileges such as keeping a pet, dating, and eventually having conjugal visits with his new wife.” As for Rebecca, the sheriff who had arrested Kennedy had this to say about her death: “She was raped and murdered 19 years ago, but she just died Friday.”

Did you happen to read the article? One of these monsters was involved in a prison riot where guards and civilians were killed, another guy escaped and raped women before he was captured...

Yes, I read the article. Did you read my post?

I presented my opinion, explained how I arrived at it - isn't that what we do here?

Yes, I read the article. Did you read my post?

I presented my opinion, explained how I arrived at it - isn't that what we do here?

Yep.....just wanted to make sure you knew about the guys who were spared and had life in prison, and then went on to rape and murder again....that's all...

Yep.....just wanted to make sure you knew about the guys who were spared and had life in prison, and then went on to rape and murder again....that's all...

Then you are aware that I have no misplaced sympathy for a person who takes another's life...and firmly believe society should be protected from them permanently.

Each state makes their own laws regarding the death penalty, sentencing, appeals, etc. In Florida, a sentence to Life is a death sentence - it is permanent...they will die in prison. I suppose the only exception would be if new evidence of innocence was found.

Doing Time in Florida Prisons -

'A Life Sentence Means Life
  • Persons receiving a life sentence for crimes committed on or after October 1, 1995, will serve a life sentence.'

------

Read the article.
We don't need the death penalty.
Republicans love killing and brown people.

Sent from my SM-J727VPP using Tapatalk

------

WE don't need the death penalty. We need to fix the criminal justice system that failed to keep him locked up forever after the first murder. We need to fix prison overpopulation by reforming sentencing guidelines and the overly disproportionate and aggressive prosecution of minorities.

------

Read the article.

I don't know about need, but to each their own. Folks who commit murder obviously don't have a problem with the death penalty so lets give it to them!

Drive your car home drunk from the bar, you obviously don't have the same value on the lives of your fellow motorists so if you wreck, you're eligible for the death penalty in my book.

------

Read the article.

I don't know about need, but to each their own. Folks who commit murder obviously don't have a problem with the death penalty so lets give it to them!

Drive your car home drunk from the bar, you obviously don't have the same value on the lives of your fellow motorists so if you wreck, you're eligible for the death penalty in my book.
The goal of ant criminal justice system is first and foremost to keep the public safe and maintain order. The death penalty does neither. Many who kill cnt stop themselves- either because of a mental defect or out of passion. Often, they do not believe that they will be caught , or have so little regard for their own life that they do not care. In some cases, they are-either consciously or not-suicidal and want to be ritualistically killed by an authority figure. For that reason, the murder rate may actually go up where the death penalty is in effect.

In addition, the death penalty only adds to the sum total of violence in society, delays closure for the families of the victims, and costs a hell of a lot more then life in prison. You say that you want revenge? Think about what your life would be like in a maxi- max with no chance of ever getting out? I for one would rather be dead.

I SUPPORT the death penalty on moral grounds, but our insane "justice" system makes it less costly to imprison someone for life. I would just as soon throw them down a rat hole and let them putrefy.

Forum List

Back