Rand Paul To Introduce Amendment Outlawing Obamacare Exemptions For Government Employ

Rebelitarian

Sep 11, 2013
Rand Paul To Introduce Amendment Outlawing Obamacare Exemptions For Government Employees

“I think Congress should never exempt themselves from a law”

Steve Watson
Prisonplanet.com
Sept 23, 2013

Senator Rand Paul has announced that he intends to introduce a constitutional amendment that would force all federal employees off taxpayer funded personal health-care plans and onto Obamacare health insurance.

Appearing on Fox News this morning, Paul argued that as Obama’s health-care law goes into effect, federal workers should be made to purchase Affordable Care Act exchanges, instead of getting special treatment via subsidies.

“I think Congress should never exempt themselves from a law,” Paul said. “But then again, I think John Roberts, he loves ObamaCare so much, he should get it. Right now, he’s getting a federal employee subsidy.”

“He’s not part of ObamaCare. He makes the rest of America—through, I think, convoluted Constitutional logic—he makes us get ObamaCare, but he’s exempt.” the Senator added.

Roberts voted to uphold the constitutionality of Obamacare when it went before the Supreme Court last year. Since that time, some within Congress have pushed for an exemption for representatives and their staff from Obamacare. Last month, the Office of Personnel Management announced that it would provide a subsidy of about 75 percent of the cost for the health care of members and staff.

Many have denounced the move, given that it essentially exempts members of Congress and their staff from the health care law.

“So I have an amendment that I will introduce that says all the federal government gets ObamaCare, including federal employees and including John Roberts.” Paul stated.

When Fox and Friends presenter Brian Kilmeade noted that forcing government workers onto Obamacare would mean a rise in premiums for staffers, Paul replied:

“I’m not excited about doing that to staff or federal employees. But if the president thinks ObamaCare is a good idea, and if John Roberts thinks he can twist the Constitution and make ObamaCare constitutional, he ought to get it.”

“I support any effort to make all laws applicable to Congress that we pass,” Paul said, adding that it would save taxpayers billions of dollars.

After acknowledging last week that fully defunding Obamacare was most likely impossible, Paul said he was now open to a compromise on the health care law.

“The president wants 100 percent of Obamacare, we want zero. Maybe we make it less bad through a compromise. So if the Republicans in the House pass defund, Democrats in the Senate continue to fund, maybe there could be a compromise in the middle where we get some rid of the taxes, and get rid of some of the bad parts of Obamacare,” Paul said.

The Obamacare health insurance exchange opens Oct 1.

Paul’s continuous attention to detail and his fire for pursuing the values he believes in has seen him emerge as a front runner for the 2016 Republican nomination.

This weekend the Senator won a second presidential straw poll, this time held in Michigan. Out of 526 people, 188 voted for Paul, giving him 36 percent of the vote in the unofficial poll at the Mackinac conference.

The closest rival to Paul was the man he feuded with in a war of words recently, New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie, who won 16 percent of the vote.

A Vogue magazine profile published last week, as well as comments by former Congressman Ron Paul, indicated that the Paul family believes Rand will run in 2016. Paul himself has said a decision will not be made until after the 2014 midterms.

Prison Planet.com » Rand Paul To Introduce Amendment Outlawing Obamacare Exemptions For Government Employees

Forum List

Back