Rand Paul detained by TSA

I guess Rand Paul thinks the rules don't apply to him

Would you have said the same to Rosa Parks?

Insulting and ignorant to make that comparison.
Yep.

Rosa Parks was protesting unequal treatment based on the color of her skin.

TSA treats everyone the same. The comparison is beyond stupid.

Unless they're trying to argue that Rand Paul should get a pass based on the color of his skin....well actually, it does sound like some of them are trying to argue just that.

and he should have been refused entry. He did not follow the rules.

Buying a ticket means you accept the possibility of being groped.

You dont want to get groped, dont by a ticket.

And Rosa Parks could have chosen not to ride the bus.

Poor example.

Not at all related.

Rosa Parks complained about not having equal rights to that bus as everyone else.

No passenger has less rights than any other passenger on a commercial flight.

Analogy is a fail...try again.

She should have been removed from the bus. She did not follow the rules

Buying a ticket means you accept the fact that blacks sit in the back.

If you don't want to sit in the back, don't buy a ticket.

Exactly the same.

Only because you disagree with Rand, but they both practiced civil disobedience so the comparison is valid.

Just for reference..

What are Rand Paul's proposed alternatives to TSA?

I don't know what Rand's proposed alternatives are, actually. His father's ideas would be to let the airlines provide their own security, and I would imagine Rand would agree with that but I can't be sure.

So what your saying is you're incapable of admitting their is some middle ground we could compromise on.

You would rather subject ALL Americans to humiliation than actually target our possible enemies.

Telling

to get into a bar, All Americans are glad to be humiliated when they are forced to show ID.

To get the senior discount, all Americans are glad to be humiliated when they are forced to prove they are over 65.

Well showing your identification is not comparable to being groped, even though I would disagree with that as well. When the TSA starts patrolling bars and other private institutions we'll have a problem with that as well.
They already have started:
TSA screenings aren't just for airports anymore - latimes.com
The Transportation Security Administration isn't just in airports anymore. TSA teams are increasingly conducting searches and screenings at train stations, subways, ferry terminals and other mass transit locations around the country.
TSA officials say they have no proof that the roving viper teams have foiled any terrorist plots or thwarted any major threat to public safety. But they argue that the random nature of the searches and the presence of armed officers serve as a deterrent and bolster public confidence.

I don't understand something . . . why isn't there a 'list' or something of people who fly frequently (like Senators) where they've already been cleared by the TSA and they get a special pass card that they show at the airport? It would apply to regular folks too. Kinda of like an EZ pass . . . it would speed the whole process and keep folks from all those unnecessary (and potentially cancer causing) scans and the humiliation of being groped.

Yep.

Unless they're trying to argue that Rand Paul should get a pass based on the color of his skin....well actually, it does sound like some of them are trying to argue just that.

Yeah, oppressive rules are ok as long as everyone is being oppressed equally.

So what do you do when the TSA won't rely on metal detectors and the scanner doesn't work? Submit to a cheap feel? Funny how the pop-culture dismisses the incident where the actor was kicked off the plane and twitters about a politician that apparently has a thing about being felt up at an airport. It's much ado about nothing.

Poor example.

Not at all related.

Rosa Parks complained about not having equal rights to that bus as everyone else.

Exactly the same.

From that standpoint, I understand the use of the analogy.

FYI...I am not for the pat downs.....and I opt to drive...drove to florida from NY last year...

Vut my point is...the rules are the rules...and they are for EVERYONE...not just one group of people.

Would you condone the intense screening of only those that appear to be suspicious?

Yep.

No one is saying that.

But laws are for everyone.

You dont like the law, elect someone who wants to change it.

I don't understand something . . . why isn't there a 'list' or something of people who fly frequently (like Senators) where they've already been cleared by the TSA and they get a special pass card that they show at the airport? It would apply to regular folks too. Kinda of like an EZ pass . . . it would speed the whole process and keep folks from all those unnecessary (and potentially cancer causing) scans and the humiliation of being groped.

It's not about security, it's a show of power.

Poor example.

Not at all related.

Exactly the same.

Yes they are the same.

And they are both wrong.

Yep.

Violating rights is violating rights...whether that is the right to equal treatment, or the 4th Amendment right to "be free from unreasonable search and seizure".

Civil disobedience was used to secure the former and should be used to reclaim the latter.

Last edited:
Yep.

No one is saying that.

Yes! Ron Paul.

It's not about power. It's a show of security.

No one is saying that.

Yes! Ron Paul.

Electing a President that wants to change it will do nothing for you.
You must elect the right people into congress.
Sadly, most dont even know who their congressperson is....and most hgave no idea who their senators are.
Congrespeople they know (knew)....Weiner and Gifford
Senators they know (Knew).....Kennedy.

And thats about it.

Last edited:
I don't think that's the point.

This is a perfect example of political correctness run amuck.
You mean the political correctness that means Rand Paul should get a pass and I shouldn't?

If the scan went off and he refused a patdown he should be disallowed from boarding the plane.

No, neither you nor I should be searched anymore than Rand. If we are going to search people, how bout we skip the little old ladies, babies and congressmen and actually focus on non Americans and target those who have targeted us?
Haven't you seen The Manchurian Candidate?

It's not about power. It's a show of security.

Then why do they make everyone go through the scanner and/or be pat down over and over and over again? That's nothing short of ridiculous. The TSA should clear those who are not a terrorist threat (the majority of people) and give them an EZ pass to show instead.

You mean the political correctness that means Rand Paul should get a pass and I shouldn't?

If the scan went off and he refused a patdown he should be disallowed from boarding the plane.

I think he chose this as an opportunity to make a stand, he is doing it so that you don't have to. Thank the man, I will.

For Rand Paul :clap2::clap2::clap2:

MUST you fly or is it an option?

Actually, no one HAS to fly...they do it for convenience....so I dont have to go through scanners or be pat down....I choose to if I choose to fly...
Some people have to fly for their jobs.

I know you will counter that they can always quit their job, but that's not an answer.

Forum List

Back