Raising the minimum wage again? Fucking brilliant!

You mean permanent 10% unemployment is an acceptable trade off for higher minimum wages?

We tell those 16 million people to fuck off so we can make $6/hr jobs into $8/hr jobs?

Are you saying or implying that the 10% unemployed in this country are ALL minimum wage earners????

bern, it is not so black and white. Just because minimum wages are raised minimally DOES NOT MEAN that it's an automatic fail....smart small businesses can work on increasing employees productivity to compensate, or reducing their overhead costs, or turning off the lights at night, working more discounts with vendors etc.

as i have said, it has not raised unemployment rates overall....yes those at the lowest menial positions could be dismissed initially by those business owners who have no clue on how to run a business or improve a business, but overall, it has helped more than hurt, the overall economy....imho

In a robust economy, what you claim may be feasible, although most successful small businesses already do everything they can to be efficient. Given the current economic situation, it's doubtful such measures haven't already been implemented.

you are more than likely right....many businesses have probably already dotted every I, and crossed every T.....but these 7 states in the article op, are raising their State minimum wage by merely 9-12 CENTS, which will NOT hurt the economy.

Do you not believe in State rights either?

I can understand the objections of the federal minimum wage, but I can not, see the objection to a State minimum wage ....minimal hike such as these 7 states.

Yes, I believe in State's rights - and in this case, the seven states are nuts to raise the minimum wage.

From the OP: "ANY minimum wage is the worst thing you can do to an economy. It ultimately ends up beating down the very ones it is intended to lift."

The study suggesting minimum wage laws cause the unemployment rate to increase in the lowest paid and unskilled set appears to be true (accoring to one study). But to suggest they are the worst thing you can do to an economy remains unproved, unanswered and fails to address the consequences of allowing 'the market' to decide upon a fair wage.
When one works and continues to fall behind consequences having greater social implications than unemployment may befall a nation. See my example above regarding social unrest.

You mean permanent 10% unemployment is an acceptable trade off for higher minimum wages?

We tell those 16 million people to fuck off so we can make $6/hr jobs into $8/hr jobs?

Are you saying or implying that the 10% unemployed in this country are ALL minimum wage earners????

It was a reply to the above quote.

"I can understand the objections of the federal minimum wage, but I can not, see the objection to a State minimum wage ....minimal hike such as these 7 states."

The class warriors who serve wealth are ideologically adverse to minimum wage increases. That explains their objections.

This increase hurts nobody, helps nobody. But at a time when Americans need to be bracing for wage decrease and tax increase shouldn't we be talking more about installing a maximum wage via increasing the leverage of progressive taxation?

I don't have any problem with the state having the actual authority to implment one. I just don't see that it makes much economic sense. It has been and always will be a tool more for getting votes than it is for measurably helping anyone.

I don't believe in the minimum wage as it causes inflation....

That's a myth.

"inflation is ever and always a monetary phenomena" ~Milton Friedman

If an employer is forced to pay an employee more money per hour, then he or she must increase the price of their product.

why? Ford gave his employees a huge raise and then decreased the costs of his trucks.

There is no direct relationship between what employer A pays his workers and what he charges for his products. Unless of course you are discussing a company town style closed loop economy.

Who is helped if employers can only hire 6 employees at $8/hr instead of 8 employees at $6/hr?

The ECONOMY! Those two workers who weren't hired will continue on unemployment benefits which, as Pelosi tells us, is the best way to spur economic growth!

You still don't get it. What are the implications of workers continuing to fall behind? Can't you see beyond the ideology?

"I can understand the objections of the federal minimum wage, but I can not, see the objection to a State minimum wage ....minimal hike such as these 7 states."

The class warriors who serve wealth are ideologically adverse to minimum wage increases. That explains their objections.

This increase hurts nobody, helps nobody. But at a time when Americans need to be bracing for wage decrease and tax increase shouldn't we be talking more about installing a maximum wage via increasing the leverage of progressive taxation?

I don't have any problem with the state having the actual authority to implment one. I just don't see that it makes much economic sense. It has been and always will be a tool more for getting votes than it is for measurably helping anyone.

well it sure doesn't make any sense right now. I agree with that.

As a small business, the way we deal with an increase in minimum wage is to lay off workers. Simple as that.

The minimum wage is going up on Jan 1 to 9.92per/hr. Sad but someone will lose their job because of it.

i believe the article said the min raise hike in these states were done via referendum....by the people within the state....NOT by congressmen trying to get reelected....

As a small business, the way we deal with an increase in minimum wage is to lay off workers. Simple as that.

The minimum wage is going up on Jan 1 to 9.92per/hr. Sad but someone will lose their job because of it.

Very true!

Who is helped if employers can only hire 6 employees at $8/hr instead of 8 employees at $6/hr?

The ECONOMY! Those two workers who weren't hired will continue on unemployment benefits which, as Pelosi tells us, is the best way to spur economic growth!

You still don't get it. What are the implications of workers continuing to fall behind? Can't you see beyond the ideology?

The threshold for misery the statist is willing to inflict on one person for the political favors of another person is breathtaking.

The recipient of an obscene government pension which is bankrupting his state, for example.

seriously? Well, from my business experience, you do not lay off people that you need to produce for your business... you take every measure, cutting business expenses such as travel, cutting overhead expenses such as electricity, cutting energy expenses by turning down the heat or airconditioning at night, and most importantly, work on your minimum wage employee to produce more for their hourly wage to compensate for the hike.

People are already at a minimum on their workers from the tough choices they have had to make regarding their own businesses....

9-12 cents is not and will not make them fire employees....mark my word.

i believe the article said the min raise hike in these states were done via referendum....by the people within the state....NOT by congressmen trying to get reelected....

Not surprised. Simply more proof of my theory that we are a mostly uneducated, instant gratification society, void of perspective and the ability to see long term ramifications.

It's really sad when winning elections boils down to who can cater to the most idiots. God I'm depressed now.

Last edited:

seriously? Well, from my business experience, you do not lay off people that you need to produce for your business... you take every measure, cutting business expenses such as travel, cutting overhead expenses such as electricity, cutting energy expenses by turning down the heat or airconditioning at night, and most importantly, work on your minimum wage employee to produce more for their hourly wage to compensate for the hike.

People are already at a minimum on their workers from the tough choices they have had to make regarding their own businesses....

Employment is a privilege, not a social responsiblity.

Who says those other measures have not already been taken?

Have you heard about the city of Hamtramck, MI?

I think many measures by good business owners, have been taken, but you can ALWAYS improve.....we are taught that you can always improve your business.....

the minuscule amount of this State minimum wage hike will not make people fire employees....on a forty hour work week it is 10 cents on average, times 40 hours a week....that is costing the employer $4 bucks more a week, no?

businesses have employees because they NEED THEM TO PRODUCE....not because they are just being kind....

if the business warrants employees, then they will have employees....4 bucks a week will NOT stop such.

I think many measures by good business owners, have been taken, but you can ALWAYS improve.....we are taught that you can always improve your business.....

the minuscule amount of this State minimum wage hike will not make people fire employees....on a forty hour work week it is 10 cents on average, times 40 hours a week....that is costing the employer $4 bucks more a week, no?

businesses have employees because they NEED THEM TO PRODUCE....not because they are just being kind....

if the business warrants employees, then they will have employees....4 bucks a week will NOT stop such.

$4 bucks a week on one employee. On 10 emoloyees, it's $40. On 100 employees, it's $400.

Enough to hire one more person.

CA already has a minimum wage higher then the national one. SF has a higher minimum wage then the CA minimum wage.

As it stands we run a tight ship and have "taken every measure". You cant cut, or at least WE wont cut quality of product to make up for increasing wages. You cut workers and everyone has to pick up the slack. If someone is not willing to do that then they are most likely the one to go.

$4 bucks a week on one employee. On 10 emoloyees, it's $40. On 100 employees, it's $400.

If you got a hundred workers in your company, chances are not a lot of them are minimum wagers.

If you got a hundred workers in your company, chances are not a lot of them are minimum wagers.

Bullshit. Not if you have a handful of fast food franchises.

Forum List

Back