Raising Kids

IceMan30

Sep 24, 2016
My kid walked in the house yesterday with a police "playset"....

Handcuffs, a gun and an SRT shotgun, a dozen darts, a badge, caps, a stick, a radio, a taser, a you name it.

And a police costume.

I took his belt off, and confiscated the rest of the stuff.... and took his uniform off too... and I told him that he's not allowed to have it.

He asked me why.. and I said... because you're not a police officer, and because my experiences runs far too deep with it.

I'm setting rules because my parents never did, and I'm not going to allow you get into deep trouble with the police and the law.
There is a very big difference between where I grew up, and how I grew up and where and how YOU are growing up, and you WILL get into huge trouble here with it.
There is also a very big discrepancy between when I grew up and today while you are growing up, we're worlds apart from each other.
The police also see you and see me in two very different lights.

And its also not the best influence there is either.

And I told him You need to find some other way to play, this christmas, after christmas we're going to toys R us and we're getting you educational toys, and sports equipment and video games.

Last edited:

Handcuffs, a gun and an SRT shotgun, a dozen darts, a badge, caps, a stick, a radio, a taser, a you name it.

And a police costume.

I took his belt off, and confiscated the rest of the stuff.... and took his uniform off too... and I told him that he's not allowed to have it.

He asked me why.. and I said... because you're not a police officer, and because my experiences runs far too deep with it.

I'm setting rules because my parents never did, and I'm not going to allow you get into deep trouble with the police and the law.
There is a very big difference between where I grew up, and how I grew up and where and how YOU are growing up, and you WILL get into huge trouble here with it.
There is also a very big discrepancy between when I grew up and today while you are growing up, we're worlds apart from each other.

And I told him You need to find some other way to play, this christmas, after christmas we're going to toys R us and we're getting you educational toys, and sports equipment and video games.
"because you're not a police officer," ?
How old is your kid?
4 vs 14 makes a difference ...

And a police costume.

Good luck. I didn't allow toy guns, kept him away from the Air Force and Army booths at the county fairs, but goddam he went in the Marines as soon as he was old enough.
He wanted to make a difference. I taught him that, too.

Neither of my nephews are Mario and Luigi so I don't allow them to play such video games in my presence.

I feel sorry for your kid. His father is an idiot.

A police officer is one of the noblest vocations that any American can aspire to. Like a good teacher, a good police officer can make a world of difference in a lot of peoples' lives. Teaching your kid that there is something wrong with being a cop (or pretending to be a cop) is a crime against him.

Sir, you are a total fool. Take up cave-diving in Florida. Soon.

• Banned

A police officer is one of the noblest vocations that any American can aspire to. Like a good teacher, a good police officer can make a world of difference in a lot of peoples' lives. Teaching your kid that there is something wrong with being a cop (or pretending to be a cop) is a crime against him.

And monopolized and one of the most regulated too, and not particularly well paying compared to other college educated professionals and one of the most dangerous.
:)

He's scared for his kid. I can sure understand that. All parents are fools at times.
But I agree being a cop CAN be a noble calling.

And monopolized and one of the most regulated too, and not particularly well paying compared to other college educated professionals and one of the most dangerous.

I'm not sure what our objection was to him playing police officer.

i didn't let my son play with guns either. although now that he's older, he was taught how to shoot.

anyway, please explain.

i didn't let my son play with guns either. although now that he's older, he was taught how to shoot.

anyway, please explain.

Because one time, me and 6 other really STUPID and Undisciplined inner city thug kids with neglectful parents, actually told somebody that they're under arrest and read them his rights... I went the psych ward for 3 weeks, and they all went to jail.

anyway, please explain.

Because one time, me and 6 other really STUPID and Undisciplined inner city thug kids with neglectful parents, actually told somebody that they're under arrest and read them his rights... I went the psych ward for 3 weeks, and they all went to jail.

ah... not having been there, it sounds to me like it was excessive.

anyway, please explain.

And one of them was my nephew.

anyway, please explain.

oy

anyway, please explain.

oy

Its something we got away with a few times in Philadelphia..
Got us locked up in Cheltenham where they don't see things the way the big city does.

And we live in THAT kind of an environment, PLUS the South, as I speak.

And a police costume.

Have you always been a jerk?

Sorry your son lost the Dad lottery.

Sir, you are a total fool.
You are an ass. You are the reason there are wars. You fill children's heads with Joan Wayne hero stories so when they get older they think they can gain your respect by semi-legally killing people. I bet you've got a giant American flag in front of your house. You suck. Your parenting ideas suck. Your pussy-based inferiority complex is as obvious as a 747 with blinking lights. I feel sorry for any child that comes near you. You and Joan Wayne Gacy must have been cerebral twins.

e854ce1435f01c6ff69ec1fdc7b6708d.gif

And a police costume.

You did good. VERY good! Most parents are too lazy and uncaring for their own children. Look around you. How many parents allow their children to play Grand Theft Auto? Most of them? Yeah, that's what I figured. I hope that you are proud of your values because you one of very few who actually care about their children and their future.
tiphat.gif

Good luck. I didn't allow toy guns, kept him away from the Air Force and Army booths at the county fairs, but goddam he went in the Marines as soon as he was old enough.
He wanted to make a difference. I taught him that, too.
It's not your fault that national propaganda circumnavigated your best efforts.

Being a police officer is not only a noble vocation, but it is one that can provide pretty good compensation, depending on the municipality for which one works. It is not uncommon for young cops to move once or twice in order to get the best combination of working conditions and compensation. In my area (Western PA), many cops earn more than 100k in total.

Most big city police departments also have systematic ways of getting overtime compensation and/or side gigs to make extra money. Ultimately, cops can retire early enough to have quite fulfilling careers after police work, all while collecting a pension.

No honest person gets rich being a police officer, but all in all, for one's entire working life, the compensation is at least as good as most college grads can expect.

The word "hero" is over-used and mis-used constantly in our culture - it is sometimes nauseating. But the word actually refers to someone who risks or gives their life for the benefit of others. Police, firefighters, and soldiers are REAL heroes, because they constantly are willing to place their own lives and safety in jeopardy to benefit total strangers.

To tell a kid that there is something "wrong" with being a cop (rather than out of concern for his safety) is perverse in the extreme. Shame on any father who does such a thing.

Forum List

Back