Rahm Immanuel announces intent to break law

Quantum Windbag

Gold Member
May 9, 2010
I honestly do not get how the fuck he thinks he can get away with this.

Mayor Rahm Emanuel announced today that the City is, for the first time, opening up nearly 23,000 City-funded internship, volunteer, and job opportunities for undocumented students, or “DREAMers.”
“Chicago is a city that was built by immigrants and I am committed to ensuring that DREAMers have the same opportunities offered by the City to all of Chicago’s youth,” said Mayor Emanuel. “We will open our doors to support talented young people who are committed to their education, building their job skills, and bettering their communities.”
The City will begin accepting applications immediately for approximately 500 City internships, volunteer, and job opportunities offered year-round, 30 Mayor’s Office Fellowships, as well as more than 22,000 opportunities to participate in summer jobs, internships and job training programs offered through the One Summer Chicago program.
“DREAMers and DACA recipients are assets that we need to nurture and develop like precious natural resources for the benefit of the entire community,” said Congressman Luis V. Gutiérrez (IL-04). “They are an integral part of Chicago’s workforce of tomorrow. Once again, the City of Chicago and Mayor Rahm Emanuel are leading the way on the inclusion of our immigrant communities.”

City of Chicago :: Mayor Emanuel Announces Internships And Job Opportunities For DREAMer Students

Would it be racist for me to point out that unemployment among black males, who are actually legally eligible for these jobs, is 92%?

New study finds 92 percent of black male teens are unemployed - Chicago News and Weather | FOX 32 News

I agree Rahm should hire American citizens first, but what law is he breaking, exactly?

I agree Rahm should hire American citizens first, but what law is he breaking, exactly?

You have got to be fucking kidding me, even you can't be ignorant of the fact that federal law makes it illegal to ask people about their immigration status before you offer them a job, it is discrimination. On top of that, it is illegal to employ anyone who cannot provide proof that they are legally eligible to work in this country. I can cover both of those with a single link, just so you don't get confused.

Pre-Employment Inquiries and Citizenship

It's perfectly ok for dems to discriminate and openly break the law.

Chitown will be yet another sanctuary city that openly breaks the law to help criminals destroy the system from within.

The only question remaining is; Will he make everyone learn spanish.

Chicago wants to give the city to the Chinese, replace the government with Hispanic illegals. What does Rahm have against black people? He must really hate them.

Let's see...the USEEOC says that employers are not allowed to ask a prospective employee about his immigration or citizenship status, but once hired, the employer must confirm that the new hire is in the country legally and able to work.

To wit,

I-9 Employment Verification Form Requirements

When hired for a new job, employees are required to prove that they are legally entitled to work in the United States. Employers are required to verify the identity and eligibility to work for all new employees. An Employment Eligibility Verification form (I-9 Form) must be completed and kept on file by the employer.

In addition, employees must present original documents, not photocopies.

Blah, blah, blah.

Seems slightly contradictory to me.

You have got to be fucking kidding me, even you can't be ignorant of the fact that federal law makes it illegal to ask people about their immigration status before you offer them a job, it is discrimination. On top of that, it is illegal to employ anyone who cannot provide proof that they are legally eligible to work in this country. I can cover both of those with a single link, just so you don't get confused.

Here is what your link says:

For example, the law prohibits employers from hiring only U.S. citizens or lawful permanent residents unless required to do so by law, regulation or government contract; it also prohibits employers from preferring to hire temporary visa holders or undocumented workers over qualified U.S. citizens or other protected individuals, such as refugees or individuals granted asylum.

So he is not breaking the law.

This is interesting Quantum. A mayor has decided what is best for his community, and then you come stomping in, complaining he is breaking federal law.

Are you sure you are a conservative? Conservatives believe states have rights.

In CA they were trying to pass legislation that would allow illegal attorneys to practice, if not apply for for work.

Illegal Immigrant Allowed to Practice Law, California Court Rules

So, a Mexican immigrant living in the country illegally but having graduated from US law school and passed the California bar and so he was granted a law license to practice if not apply.

Unreal. When we went south for Saturn you would not believe what we had to go thru even though both of us were dual citizens.

Jumpin jesus palominos. This pisses me clean off.

LEGAL. Legal immigration. YIKES.

Until THE PEOPLE get fed up with this overstepping of their REPESENTION in government, they'll continue pushing this

Emanuel and Obama, two FASCIST progressives in a pod that need to be shucked, now

This is what you people elected now its up TO YOU to do something about it

Last edited:
Just to be able to open a bank account. Aye carumba! You should have seen the documentation we had to produce.

I know the Dems have let it get this crazy. Bigger question. Why did the Mitch McConnell's of the universe allow this bullshit.

And don't get me going on Bill Frist. Sheesh what the hell is wrong with Republicans?

This is interesting Quantum. A mayor has decided what is best for his community, and then you come stomping in, complaining he is breaking federal law.

Hey how do you think Rahm would love to embrace a whole batch of white well educated Canucks running down to his city and turning it around?

We wouldn't vote Democrat albeit.

Do you think old Rahm would welcome us with open arms?

Hey how do you think Rahm would love to embrace a whole batch of white well educated Canucks running down to his city and turning it around?

So your problem is with Mexicans in particular, and white people get a pass.

Thanks for pointing that out.

Charming.

So your problem is with Mexicans in particular, and white people get a pass.

Thanks for pointing that out.

Charming.

It seems that TinyDancer is pointing out the irony of selectively allowing illegal immigrants legal opportunities that show a status of illegality conflated with legality.

I wonder how the Federal Lawmakers will forge legislation when this state wide idiocy is rampant.

Interesting opinions from a guy who doesn't think there should be any laws.

Here is what your link says:

For example, the law prohibits employers from hiring only U.S. citizens or lawful permanent residents unless required to do so by law, regulation or government contract; it also prohibits employers from preferring to hire temporary visa holders or undocumented workers over qualified U.S. citizens or other protected individuals, such as refugees or individuals granted asylum.
So he is not breaking the law.

OK, fuckwad, since you insist on having your nose rubbed in it, from my link.

Employers should not ask whether or not a job applicant is a United States citizen before making an offer of employment. The Immigration Reform and Control Act of 12986 (IRCA) makes it illegal for employers to discriminate with respect to hiring, firing, or recruitment or referral for a fee, based on an individual's citizenship or immigration status.

That was the sentence that was directly before the one you quoted, yet somehow you missed it in you blindly partisan defense of Rahm. Since he is specifically limiting the jobs to undocumented students, he is breaking the law.

Then we have this.

IRCA requires employers to verify the identity and employment eligibility of all employees hired after November 6, 1986, by completing the Employment Eligibility Verification (I-9) Form, and reviewing documents showing the employee's identity and employment authorization.

By announcing that he is waiving the requirements that the people he hires actually be eligible to work he is announcing his intent to ignore, aka break, the law.

Pretty pathetic that you can't read the sentence before, or after, the one you quoted, isn't it? Even rdean can manage that much reading.

Why do assholes keep putting fucking labels on me? His intent is to break the fucking law, end of conversation.

Forum List

Back