Radiation

random3434

Jun 29, 2008
How long will it last for the people of Japan?

When will it be safe for them to get back to 'normal' if you can call it that.

My heart goes out to ALL of them, I know we all feel helpless not being able to do anything.

(But donate $$ of course, and say prayers for them)

My heart goes out to ALL of them, I know we all feel helpless not being able to do anything.

I have been asking the same thing. There seems to be nothing on TV but talking heads telling us in very general terms what happened. I think the people want to know how fast is it cooling down and when, if ever will it be over. Exactly what is the government doing? I get the feeling there is lot they're not telling us.

Right now, we should pray that it doesn't go into a full meltdown too.

But, you're right, the charities are gonna need money to help people. I'm sure that those of us who can, will give.

Unfortunately, it will be years, if ever, before they get to anything approaching "normal".

Unknown number of dead, their infrastructure smashed, radiation leaks, and a wrecked economy will set them back for a long time.

I gave what I could, but it just seemed so pitifully small.

I have been asking the same thing. There seems to be nothing on TV but talking heads telling us in very general terms what happened. I think the people want to know how fast is it cooling down and when, if ever will it be over. Exactly what is the government doing? I get the feeling there is lot they're not telling us.

It's a fine line that the Japanese Gov is walking.... they need to inform people of what to do, and evacuate those who need to but they also need to ensure that people don't panic.

Fortunately, the US has brought in experts to help, as have several other countries.

Russia are diverting electricity supplies over to Japan, I think that's pretty cool, since power is a huge problem for them right now.

Unfortunately, it will be years, if ever, before they get to anything approaching "normal".

Unknown number of dead, their infrastructure smashed, radiation leaks, and a wrecked economy will set them back for a long time.

I gave what I could, but it just seemed so pitifully small.

All true.... but.... taking an alternative view.... this is a good opportunity for the US and other countries whose economies are suffering to pick up the slack from Japan and aid their own recoveries.... dark clouds and silver linings.

It depends on what type of radiation escapes and how much. Some types would not last very long, others could last for decades.

I see the people living around the plant are not listening to the PM and staying sealed up in their homes but are instead getting the hell out of there.

:thup:

If the reactors at the Fukushima Daiichi nuclear power plant, or any of the others that have been damaged after the 8.9-magnitude earthquake and tsunami, does indeed melt down, several types of radioactive materials could be expelled into the environment. Cesium-137 and strontium-90 present long-term environmental hazards and can be absorbed throughout the body, particularly bones. Plutonium-239 exposure often leads to lung cancer, and it has a half-life of 24,000 years, so it would be around for a long, long time. (A half-life is the amount of time it takes for half of the radioactive isotopes in a substance to decay.)

But one of the most dangerous materials that could come out of the reactor is iodine-131. Iodine has a relatively short half-life of about a week, but it can do a lot of damage in that time. It will most likely escape in gas form, which makes it easy to pick up, and the body rapidly funnels it to the thyroid, where it can accumulate and cause cancer in a relatively short amount of time.

The good news is that, unlike the other three radioactive materials, there is a simple pill that will protect your thyroid from radioactive iodine. If a person takes a potassium-iodide pill (or liquid solution) before exposure occurs, the iodine in that pill will flood the body and, importantly, the thyroid. Once this occurs, even though your body will absorb radioactive iodine, it won’t be able to collect in the thyroid – the inert iodine blocks the bad stuff. Instead, the powerful carcinogen will be excreted from your system.

Prophylactic potassium iodide was first used, and to great success, during the Chernobyl disaster in 1986.

How Iodide Pills Work | Japan Disaster & Nuclear Meltdown | Radiation Poisoning | LiveScience

I heard mention today that "America" isn't well prepared for the same type of emergency. To that statement, I say, prepare yourself. People can purchase potassium iodide tablets to combat radioactive fallout in an emergency. We are stocked in our first aide kit at home.

Prayers to the people of Japan.

Once things get calmed down life will return to normal fairly soon. One thing that people need to know about radiation is the longer the half life the less dangerous it is. Strontium 90 has a half life of 28.5 years or so so it is moderately dangerous if concentrated. The truly dangerous isotope is Iodine 123 which has a halflife of 13 hours. That isotope is radiating at a very, very high rate and will kill someone very quickly. The other real lethal isotope is Iodine 131 with a half life of around 8 days, that too is a real killer. Wait a few months so those isotopes can break down into their respective daughter elements and it becomes a whole lot safer.

I heard mention today that "America" isn't well prepared for the same type of emergency. To that statement, I say, prepare yourself. People can purchase potassium iodide tablets to combat radioactive fallout in an emergency. We are stocked in our first aide kit at home.

Prayers to the people of Japan.

281x211.jpg

Lady Gaga is doing her part to help those affected by the 8.9-magnitude earthquake that struck Japan on Friday (March 11). The devastating quake triggered a 10-meter tsunami and now threatens Pacific coastal areas, including Hawaii and the West Coast.

The star tweeted on Friday that she has designed a special wristband with all of the proceeds going to benefit those affected by the disaster.

"I Designed a Japan Prayer Bracelet. Buy It/Donate here and ALL proceeds will go to Tsunami Relief Efforts. Go Monsters," Gaga wrote.

She then shared a link with more information about the red-and-white bracelet on which the words "we pray for Japan" are written along with an image of a hand making Gaga's signature monster paw gesture. "Little Monsters, show your support for Japan with this 'We Pray for Japan' wristband! Choose your price to add an additional donation with your wristband," the description for the bracelet reads. "All proceeds go directly to Japan relief efforts."

Lady Gaga Designs Japanese Tsunami Relief Wristband - Music, Celebrity, Artist News | MTV

A thought occurred to me, yesterday.
And forgive me if it comes across as callous because I promise you that I do empathize with their plight.
But......
We nuked the shit out of Japan and they responded by becoming a thriving technological mecca.
Just imagine the advances these resilient people have in store for us in the future!
:cool:

Once things get calmed down life will return to normal fairly soon. One thing that people need to know about radiation is the longer the half life the less dangerous it is. Strontium 90 has a half life of 28.5 years or so so it is moderately dangerous if concentrated. The truly dangerous isotope is Iodine 123 which has a halflife of 13 hours. That isotope is radiating at a very, very high rate and will kill someone very quickly. The other real lethal isotope is Iodine 131 with a half life of around 8 days, that too is a real killer. Wait a few months so those isotopes can break down into their respective daughter elements and it becomes a whole lot safer.

So what will happen to the people that were exposed?

Do you think it will be safe for people to travel to Japan this summer?

I've found ABC's Evening news coverage with Diane Sawyer to be outstanding thus far. They had a excellent little clinic on radiation, just the facts... That would be eye opening to most. Example: Nothing to fear here in the US even in a worst case scenario for Japan on their reactors.

The scenes coming from Japan are indeed devastating and heart breaking and one might think the entire country is nothing but rubble and smoking nuclear reactor stacks. But the fact the people have homes to close themselves into suggests that it isn't total devastation there. I have been fascinated by clips of tall skyscrapers, built to be earthquake proof, swaying from side to side during the earthquake, but remaining intact. Human ingenuity and technology continues to make the world safer from its most violent elements.

And the remarkable thing to me is that after one of the world's strongest earthquakes followed by continuous strong after shocks, a horrible tsunami, and multiple violent explosions in the reactors, any leaked radiation has been relatively small requiring evacuation of a relatively small number of people. Much MUCH worse than Three Mile Island but nowhere near as bad as Chernobyl. With the world's nuclear experts descending on the scene, I am guessing they'll bring it under control and for the most part all will be in good shape related to that.

And the fact that it hasn't been worse, assuming they do get it under control, should reassure people everywhere that nuclear power, properly structured and contained, remains one of the safer sources of power used in the world.

Another thing that has struck me is the orderly and civil way the Japanese people are handling the disaster. People helping people with almost no reports of looting or lawlessness. They are truly an amazing people.

I agree with Victor Davis Hanson:

There is no more ordered, successful and humane urban society than found in Japan. Like most Americans, these last few days I have been moved as never before by the courage and calm of the Japanese people amid such horrific conditions, as one of the most sophisticated and complex urbanized cultures on the planet in a split second is nearly paralyzed. I confess I do not quite fathom the constant American news blitzes about all sorts of China Syndrome scenarios. Radiation pollution is a serious worry, but right now no one has died from exposure and perhaps 10,000 have perished from the tsunami and earthquake. It seems to me the greater worry right now is not yet a meltdown, but the vast dangers resulting from disruptions in food, water, power, and sewage.

Works and Days

As awful as the situation is at the nuclear reactor sites, there are people at risk right now from living in areas where civilized infrastructure has been scraped off the landscape. I find the over attention on the nukes to be a bit unseemly. But they make great media fodder.

Media is as Media does. (Think Forest Gump)

What scares people more than nuclear radiation? Therefore - what better to sensationalize than this?
Brit Hume said it well last night on O'Reilly - something like this "The only catastrophe is the Tsunami itself, we should be reporting on the facts and what HAS happened and not a theory of what could be the worst outcome of a situation that hasn't happened"
He was annoyed when he said it and made a clear distasteful face when O'Reilly said "But it could happen" to that Hume said "but it hasn't Bill"

Media is as Media does. (Think Forest Gump)

What scares people more than nuclear radiation? Therefore - what better to sensationalize than this?
Brit Hume said it well last night on O'Reilly - something like this "The only catastrophe is the Tsunami itself, we should be reporting on the facts and what HAS happened and not a theory of what could be the worst outcome of a situation that hasn't happened"
He was annoyed when he said it and made a clear distasteful face when O'Reilly said "But it could happen" to that Hume said "but it hasn't Bill"

J'adore Brit Hume. He is my favorite news commentator; I miss him as anchor for Special Report.

Forum List

Back