Questions for Conservatives

midcan5

liberal / progressive
Jun 4, 2007
America
I am often amazed at how consistent and similar conservatives are when it comes to a variety of issues. It is as if they all listen to the same reality show. So I am wondering if their reasons for believing the same things are the same too? There is one rule for answering, answers should not include the opposition.

Why do conservatives believe global warming is a natural phenomenon and homosexuality is not a natural phenomenon? Neither is well understood.

Why are conservatives abandoning George W. Bush? Did he not follow key conservative policy to reduce taxes, reduce government help, and increase the military?

Why do conservatives question evolution?

Why do conservatives believe in 'trickle down' economics, called 'supply side' today?

Why are conservatives pro war, pro death penalty, but anti foreign aid and anti abortion?

Why are conservatives anti public education?

Why are conservatives anti affirmative action?

Why do conservatives want to break down the separation between church and state?

I am often amazed at how consistent and similar conservatives are when it comes to a variety of issues. It is as if they all listen to the same reality show. So I am wondering if their reasons for believing the same things are the same too? There is one rule for answering, answers should not include the opposition.

Why do conservatives believe global warming is a natural phenomenon and homosexuality is not a natural phenomenon? Neither is well understood.

Why are conservatives abandoning George W. Bush? Did he not follow key conservative policy to reduce taxes, reduce government help, and increase the military?

Why do conservatives believe in 'trickle down' economics, called 'supply side' today?

Why are conservatives pro war, pro death penalty, but anti foreign aid and anti abortion?

Why do conservatives want to break down the separation between church and state?

I think you're really stereotyping a good bit here. I know plenty of conservatives who break this mold on at least several free points. Even so, you really shouldn't be all that surprised. Conservatism is an ideology afterall. Their common beliefs not only unite, but define their movement. Much as nationalism unites people under a common banner, or racism unites and divides people based on complexion, ideologies define people by their ideas. It's only natural that people who associate themselves under the conservative banner should refer to themselves as conservative. If they weren't, they'd call themselves something else. Same thing with "liberals" and other political groups.

I can only answer for myself which I think to be pretty conservative from a pure objectivity standpoint, but would be of the opinion that anyone who answers otherwise may not be truly conservative

Evidence shows in the past that global warming has been natural phenomenon. Is it now? Some evidence suggests it is, thought that doesn't mean we shouldn't be stewards of the environment.

I won't go so far as to say homosexuality is a purely naturally occurring event. I know it isn't by choice either though. Simply because I know that I don't have the ability to choose to find guys sexually attractive. Anyone who says it's a choice should ask themselves that question.

He isn't a fiscal conservative for one thing. I would say that your perception that he is being abandoned or thrown out with the kitchen sink is a little off. Like any president he has done some good things (tax cuts) and bad things (increased spending) and IMO not listening to the right people on the IRAQ war.

Not that i believe in the alternative, but why not question everything? Objectively there is evidence for evolution, but no one knows until we die if humans were made 'special'.

Can you explain that more?

No one (except for the deranged) are pro-war, just as as few are truly pro-abortion(killing babies). No level headed person is going to say either of those are good things to have happen. I am pro death penalty in very few instances i.e those that are completely w/o remorse in rape or murder. The system most certainly has its problems that need to be fixed.

We're not anti-foregin aid. Not sure how you came to that perception. I do think we should help are own before we help others, though.

As to the pro-death penalty but anti-abortion issue, I don't see why some see a contradiction there. I'm okay with ridding society of it's truly worthless. I am not for ridding society of it's truly inocent. All life is not equally valuable.

Have not seen any evidence that conservatives believe that either. I would agree somewhat however, that private primary education prepares students better for college. At the college level however, trust me the private students are overpaying.

Becuase the purpose of business is to make money. It can't do any other good things if it doesn't do that. It can't employ workers. I can't create new jobs and it can't remain viable as a business if it doesn't make money. Part of reaching that goal requires hiring the best to reach that goal. Affirmative action assures that won't happen and utlimately hurts everyone. Would you feel good knowing that you got a job not on your merits but on your race? Would you feel good as an employer knowing you past over the best to be politically correct?

Those that do aren't conservatives. But part has to do with, like it or not Christianity is intertwined with this country's history and culture. Chruch and state should be seperate. what that doesn't mean is that you remove all biblical references from our monuments and historical symbols. Those are part of history.

Thank you, MidCan, for pointing out the obvious.

MrConley: I am a conservative, and I

-- believe in evolution, a proper understanding of which undermines some central superstitions of liberalism

-- support a woman's right to kill her baby-in-becoming, up to a certain time,

-- believe climate change is real, and that human beings almost certainly are involved in making it happen, but disagree that much can be done about it (that oil is going to be burnt, either by you, or by some guy in China. Either way, it will not sit in the ground.)

-- am not "pro war" -- frankly, what an ignorant thing to accuse us of , given that every American war of the 20th Century saw us being led into it by a Democrat -- but understand that pacifism is stupid and immoral

-- on the death penalty, support it in principle, but doubt that the state can be trusted to use it fairly (Hey, here is a compromise which might do away with almost all executions of innocent people: extend the death penalty to all crimes involving violence, but apply it only on the second conviction. And while we are discussing crime, how about this one as a way of preventing people ever committing murders: let the punishment for people who use firearms in crime be amputation of their trigger finger. I know the Constitutional objection, but do it under anesthesia and it would not be "cruel", and do it often enough and it would not be "unusual".)

-- I am happy with the current situation re. Church and state. Why do liberals want to make atheism the public religion?

-- I am all for public education: let's finance it through vouchers. (Except for your children, who can be sent to the inner-city state school of their choice.)

-- I oppose affirmative action, among other reasons, because it destroys any chance that Black people will ever be seen as equal to whites. I suspect that many liberals, way down deep, secretly believe that Blacks are inferior, and this is why they support racial preferences.

By the way: anyone who thinks all conservatives think alike is simply revealing their utter ignorance of the conservative movement today, which is far more politically diverse than its liberal counterpart.

indeed..

im reminded of that every time I look at the republican nominees and the blanket reaction of conservatives to Ron Paul..

:cool:

-- am not "pro war" -- frankly, what an ignorant thing to accuse us of , given that every iAmerican war of the 20th Century saw us being led into it by a Democrat -- but understand that pacifism is stupid and immoral

Well, we certainly weren't led into the quagmire that is Iraq by a democrat. So my sense is he was referring to the republican party as it now exists. And it seems to me, in listening to the debates, that with few exceptions, the candidates are mostly arguing about who has the biggest... er... stick.

That said, I think you'd find that most people, whether to the left or right, believe there are things worth fighting and dying for, and that not all war is immoral.

-- on the death penalty, support it in principle, but doubt that the state can be trusted to use it fairly (Hey, here is a compromise which might do away with almost all executions of innocent people: extend the death penalty to all crimes involving violence, but apply it only on the second conviction. And while

-- I am happy with the current situation re. Church and state. Why do liberals want to make atheism the public religion?

The death penalty, while satisfying as retribution for certain heinous acts, also lends itself to the questions of accuracy, unequal application and the moral issue of whether the government should act for the sole purpose of retribution, since the death penalty offers no general deterrance, only specific deterrance of the individual involved.

Athiesm is not a religion. And I suspect most normal, middle of the road people are responding more to the aggressive attempts of the radical Christian right to enact their beliefs into law.

-- I am all for public education: let's finance it through vouchers. (Except for your children, who can be sent to the inner-city state school of their choice.)

No. Vouchers are a code word for destruction of state education and "religicizing" education.

-- I oppose affirmative action, among other reasons, because it destroys any chance that Black people will ever be seen as equal to whites. I suspect that many liberals, way down deep, secretly believe that Blacks are inferior, and this is why they support racial preferences.

I think affirmative action demeans the people who benefit from it. I think the way to deal with those issues is to level the playing field earlier on through programs like Head Start, which successfully bring disadvantaged children up to general population standards.

By the way: anyone who thinks all conservatives think alike is simply revealing their utter ignorance of the conservative movement today, which is far more politically diverse than its liberal counterpart.

By the same token, anyone who thinks all democrats are liberal or all so-called "liberals" think alike and are homogeneous reveals their ignorance of the other side of the political divide.

I would disagree wholeheartedly, by the way, that Republicans are more diverse than Democrats. I would further disagree with attaching the term "liberal" to everyone who is a democrat.

No. Vouchers are a code word for destruction of state education and "religicizing" education.

Hence the rabid opposition to vouchers by liberals.

Leftists know that if they can control the "indoctrination machine" otherwise known as "liberal education" they can control the masses to a large extent. Their goal is to replace parental control with state control...a very leftist/communist principle.

This picture is almost as retarded as the previous post.
RetardedPiglet.gif

Conley, agree. Bern80 your answers are fair. Doug broke the one rule, he cannot think with blaming a liberal. Screaming is lost in conspiratorial never never land.

Bern80, Trickle down was a pejorative term for the assumption that giving the wealthy more money to spend through reduced taxes would help lift the boats of everyone. The wealthy use more of the infrastructure of society and should pay their fair share. Taxes from WWII till Reagan and Clinton's increase in taxes proved that wrong. That is part of the many items you do agree with in my list, even when you disagree you back off complete disagreement. Your business AA reasoning doesn't make sense to me?

Pro-war may be a little hard but all the ranting and raving about Vietnam and now Iraq by the conservatives is not pacifism. The motivation is they attacked us, thus we attack them. Very few opposed Iraq but conservatives were its cheer leaders.

Doug, to kill her baby! do you beat off and have you and the wife ever used any form of birth control, those cells want to survive too. And your affirmative action comment is ridiculous. AA helped a great many Blacks enter the work force and get a fair shake and an opportunity. Racial prejudice is still alive and well. Atheism a religion, you exaggerate. Vouchers will kill public schools and make for the poor having even less chance. We need good, sound, well financed inner city schools.

I'll answer the questions, provided that you answer the follow-ups:

Conservatives dont believe that there's anywhere near enough data to support either.
If neither is well-understood, why do liberals unquestioningly believe in both?

He neither reduced the govenrment nor increased the military.
Given that he HAS increased federal welfare spending to record levels, why dont liberals adore him?

Smart people question everything.
Why don't Liberals question evolution?

Its worked every time it was tried- the 60s, the 80s and the 00s.
Why do liberals doubt it?

They aren't. They're anti-federal involvement in public education, because the word "education" isnt in the constitution.
Given that, why are Liberals so pro-federal involvement in education?

Race-based preferences is racism, and racism is always wrong.
Why don't liberals agree?

The 1st amendment keeps the government out of the chuch, not the church out of the government.
Why dont liberals understand plain English?

This picture is almost as retarded as the previous post.
RetardedPiglet.gif

Get educated. Read a book. If you can't manage that, try reading just a book review:

New Book Exposes Startling Truths About America's Public School System

Public Education Against America by Marlin Maddoux, Late Founder of USA Radio Network

Book Review by James L. Lambert
October 13, 2006

(AgapePress) - The Christian world was deeply affected in March 2004 by news of the passing of Marlin Maddoux, a pioneer in radio as well as a noted journalist and author, who also hosted the weekday radio program, "Point of View" (featured on the USA Radio Network). And at his untimely death, the author's closest friends discovered another important contribution -- the transcripts for his new book, Public Education Against America (Whitaker House Press).

The book is an expose of sorts, loaded with facts CBS News, PBS Radio or the New York Times would never disclose. In fact, Maddoux recounts numerous times in the book that the data he accessed on some of his radio programs was almost unbelievable. His skills as an investigative reporter enabled him to dig to the root of many of the issues confronting public education, and the book is packed with statistics that will alert parents to the crisis in America's public school system.

In Public Education Against America, Maddoux tackles a number of issues, citing how the many controlling bodies within the public school system have systematically ignored historical truth when it comes to patriotism and traditional religion in America. He provides numerous illustrations of political correctness running amok, and cases where children's freedom of religion has been violated. After reading the first few chapters, one tends to get the point that many public schools around the country are slowly turning into indoctrination camps for the left. As Maddoux states: "Often the change is so subtle that most parents don't notice until it's too late." (page 81)

Maddoux's book carefully illustrates how many public schools circumvent values kids learn at home by stressing 'values clarification' taught in the schools. The author discovered that teachers often use open-ended questions to cause confusion in the mind of a child, then use this as a tool for stripping or instilling doubt in a child's belief in moral absolutes or religious standards their parents might have taught them.

According to the picture that emerges from the data in Public Education Against America, whether it is promoting acceptance of diverse lifestyles (homosexuality) or teaching evolution as fact, the public school system is continually fighting for children's allegiance through a steady stream of anti-Christian propaganda that is overwhelming to most families. Maddox details the reasoning behind this and also chronicles the pervasive influence of educators like John Dewey and his radically leftist beliefs.

As a result of such influences, the author suggests (on pages 141-142) that powerful teachers' unions and liberal school administrators have subtly, over a long period of time, developed an atmosphere in which:

• There is no right or wrong, only conditioned responses
  • The collective good is more important than the individual
  • Consensus is more important than principle
  • Flexibility is more important than accomplishment
  • Nothing is permanent except change
  • All ethics are situational
  • There are no perpetrators, only victims.

Perhaps the best part of this book is Maddoux's tips on how parents can take steps to protect their children. For example, he strongly suggests that Christians and conservatives stand up for their principles and beliefs in the public venue. And in one of the last chapters of the book, the author even goes so far as to suggest that parents should strongly consider taking their children out of the public school system. Dr. James Dobson, a few years ago, advised his California radio listeners to do the same. While Maddoux concedes that the problem of parental affordability is an issue, he affirms that the future of America's youth is at stake.

Overall, Public Education Against America makes a strong case against the failings of the nation's public school system. It also gives practical solutions for parents, although the author acknowledges that some of these solutions may be difficult for parents or students to put into practice.

In no uncertain terms, Maddoux's book urges parents to put their children in an education environment where they will be allowed to flourish, while the data he presents clearly shows that America's public schools are not making the grade. Helpful suggestions are provided at the end of the book, making Public Education Against America an invaluable resource and an important read.

http://headlines.agapepress.org/archive/10/132006f.asp

Indeed, I really do give a damn about a man whose opinions mirror Pat Robertson..

He is the author of several books, including “America Betrayed”, “What Worries Parents Most”, “The Gay Deception”, “Free Speech or Propaganda?” and “A Christian Agenda: Game Plan for a New Era”, and his first novel, “Seal of Gaia”, published by Word. Marlin had finished his book on public education just prior to his death and it will be published later this year.

Yes, a real winner, lemme tellya...

a proverbial Dick Morris before his time! A man whose motives are certainly shared by the masses!

Hell, if only we let your argument slide in the 60's you could have your very own restroom and water fountain too!

Indeed, I really do give a damn about a man whose opinions mirror Pat Robertson..

He is the author of several books, including “America Betrayed”, “What Worries Parents Most”, “The Gay Deception”, “Free Speech or Propaganda?” and “A Christian Agenda: Game Plan for a New Era”, and his first novel, “Seal of Gaia”, published by Word. Marlin had finished his book on public education just prior to his death and it will be published later this year.

Yes, a real winner, lemme tellya...

a proverbial Dick Morris before his time! A man whose motives are certainly shared by the masses!

Hell, if only we let your argument slide in the 60's you could have your very own restroom and water fountain too!

I know you hate Pat Robertson - like you hate most Christians. So be it. But don't tell us Christians what we should believe.

It's interesting how you morph Civil Rights into "equal education"....liberal style, of course...

I hate christians about as much as you hate homosexuals.

I wouldn't be bragging about christianity though if your average example of such is Pat Robertson.

but, Strom Thurman was probably a good Christian too so what could I possibly expect from the likes of you? Apparently, the answer to that question is name dropping some jackass whose opinion on public education, apparently, means to you what George Wallace's opinion meant to good segregating white folk in the 60s. You have private schools. enjoy them. No one forces you to put your kids in public schools. If you want to make your kid pray every five minutes and hate gay people then have fun doing it at home or in christian schools. Indeed, how excruciating must THAT kind of persecution be!

Otherwise, just so you know, Maddoux's opinion, much like Pat's, Fred Phelps's and Tony Perkin's, means two things: Jack and shit. If we make Muslims take their dogmatic jew hating to private schools then so can the christians teach their hatred in private schools..

You come out with this stereotypical crap every couple of weeks or so...
Is that when the stupid pills kick in or what ?
If you want to get educated on them one by one, just start the thread and I'm sure you'll get schooled....probably not educated, but definitely schooled...

I hate christians about as much as you hate homosexuals.

I wouldn't be bragging about christianity though if your average example of such is Pat Robertson.

but, Strom Thurman was probably a good Christian too so what could I possibly expect from the likes of you? Apparently, the answer to that question is name dropping some jackass whose opinion on public education, apparently, means to you what George Wallace's opinion meant to good segregating white folk in the 60s. You have private schools. enjoy them. No one forces you to put your kids in public schools. If you want to make your kid pray every five minutes and hate gay people then have fun doing it at home or in christian schools. Indeed, how excruciating must THAT kind of persecution be!

Otherwise, just so you know, Maddoux's opinion, much like Pat's, Fred Phelps's and Tony Perkin's, means two things: Jack and shit. If we make Muslims take their dogmatic jew hating to private schools then so can the christians teach their hatred in private schools..

Pointing to individual Christians to make your case against Christians as a whole is laughable.

If we had vouchers, probably most Christian parents would pull their kids out of the public schools and put them into private ones. It would be nice to have your kids say a prayer before a football game and not have your first grader given sex ed. Not to mention lots of parents (like inner city blacks) who were not even worried about the indoctrination aspect would ALSO pull their kids out and put them into private ones in order to give their kids a better education. Since 80% Christians send their kids to public schools you leftists would see a realignment in the schools that would probably leave you in the dust choking on your free rubbers.

Going to keep posting the same gruel until you get what you want?

http://usmessageboard.com/showthread.php?t=50859&highlight=diversity

M4Shooter, You broke the one rule but I'll answer.

The evidence points towards global warming and pollution has had some bad effects for years now. Bern80 answered the second part well and I have a gay brother and know it is genetic. We have a big family.

Evolution is science and helps explain the variety of life.

But Bush's spending was on war, is that not the military? 'Deficits don't matter' started with Reagan, he made us a debtor nation for the first time, so not sure why this is not conservative. But i do admit congress spends like a drunken sailor on 3 days leave.

Massive government spending does work but it is Keynesian/FDR and not trickle down. Trickle down's beneficiaries are only the rich. Reagan proved that as only 6% of the growth went to 80% of the people. The top 1% took 60%.

I am pro public school for the same reason I am pro citizenship. It brings us together. Civics as we used to be taught goes a long way towards creating an atmosphere where we are all part of the same ship.

Anyone who lives in the real world realizes the power of prejudice, be it racial, religious or even ethnic. AA was an attempt to create a more level playing field. I think it accomplished some of that.

But our history and surely our experience points to the separation as being a very good thing.

M4Shooter, You broke the one rule but I'll answer.

The evidence points towards global warming and pollution has had some bad effects for years now. Bern80 answered the second part well and I have a gay brother and know it is genetic. We have a big family.

Evolution is science and helps explain the variety of life.

But Bush's spending was on war, is that not the military? 'Deficits don't matter' started with Reagan, he made us a debtor nation for the first time, so not sure why this is not conservative. But i do admit congress spends like a drunken sailor on 3 days leave.

Massive government spending does work but it is Keynesian/FDR and not trickle down. Trickle down's beneficiaries are only the rich. Reagan proved that as only 6% of the growth went to 80% of the people. The top 1% took 60%.

I am pro public school for the same reason I am pro citizenship. It brings us together. Civics as we used to be taught goes a long way towards creating an atmosphere where we are all part of the same ship.

Anyone who lives in the real world realizes the power of prejudice, be it racial, religious or even ethnic. AA was an attempt to create a more level playing field. I think it accomplished some of that.

But our history and surely our experience points to the separation as being a very good thing.
Troll.

Marlin Maddoux's real complaint is with life, it changes and he didn't.

Alpha, think I did that already.

Kathianne, jeez, name calling that really amounts to what exactly?

Forum List

Back