Questions about Kimber Revolvers and holsters for them

Seymour Flops

Diamond Member
Nov 25, 2021
Texas
At our local "best damn gunshop in the world," which is Collector's Firearms in Houston,* my wife was looking for a revolver to start carrying. She fell in love with the Kimber K6 after I steered her to my stand-by of pre lock Smiths. She wanted a small revolver with a three inch barrel. I carry a S&W 60 Chief's Special and she like firing it, but she prefers a bigger gun. I have to admit I like the smoothness of the cylinder release. They didn't have any snap caps to dry fire it.

Questions for anyone who knows: How's the kick? How's the trigger pull for the shrouded hammer model? How's the weight when carrying?

Questions about holsters in general and the K6 in particular: What are some good IWB holster that have thumb break retaining straps? If you want to comment about the need for retaining straps, I'm all ears also. I sometimes think I'm being too uptight about that.

TIA!

*It really is worth a look if you're in Houston or anywhere close. I don't even go to gun shows much, because they don't have nearly as wide a selection and nowhere close to the antique firearms and other weapons.

At our local "best damn gunshop in the world," which is Collector's Firearms in Houston,* my wife was looking for a revolver to start carrying. She fell in love with the Kimber K6 after I steered her to my stand-by of pre lock Smiths. She wanted a small revolver with a three inch barrel. I carry a S&W 60 Chief's Special and she like firing it, but she prefers a bigger gun. I have to admit I like the smoothness of the cylinder release. They didn't have any snap caps to dry fire it.

Questions for anyone who knows: How's the kick? How's the trigger pull for the shrouded hammer model? How's the weight when carrying?

Questions about holsters in general and the K6 in particular: What are some good IWB holster that have thumb break retaining straps? If you want to comment about the need for retaining straps, I'm all ears also. I sometimes think I'm being too uptight about that.

TIA!

*It really is worth a look if you're in Houston or anywhere close. I don't even go to gun shows much, because they don't have nearly as wide a selection and nowhere close to the antique firearms and other weapons.

Start here to get a good idea:

holster "Kimber K6" for sale | eBay

TIA!

Fire it 50 times and it won't be nuthin. Just get used to it. And be able to kit someone from across the room please. Be that good guy in the room with a gun when the nut walks in. And be a good shot please!

I love small guns. If I got one bigger I might go with this or your wife's Kimber K6
1669261418816.png

I have this gun

1669261510727.png

I love it because it's in my front pocket and no one would ever suspect I have a gun in my pocket. Even a pat down they would just think it was part of my keys or change. Tiny. But it holds 5 hollowpoint 22 shells

TIA!

Yep.
Collectors Firearms is my go to gun shop,they have everything!!
Got my new S&W 610-3 10mm. revolver there. Promptly sent out the cylinder out to be reamed so it now accepts 10mm. Magnum rounds.
It being an N-frame it's plenty sturdy for 10mm. Magnum.
As far as a holster goes there are plenty of custom holster makers out there.
I had one made for the new S&W at Diamond D Leather out of Alaska. They'll most likely have your guns holster since they have a huge list of guns they've already made holsters for.
Kinda pricey but not horribly so. I paid $200 bucks for mine but it fits like a glove and it's adjustable.
Also got my initials engraved on it and got the carrier for an extra loaded moon clip.
D206EF98-14B1-469C-9A5A-54FF86E128EB.jpeg

B3D7D02B-E0A9-454D-8A5A-CA28D18B8875.jpeg

Yep.
Collectors Firearms is my go to gun shop,they have everything!!
Got my new S&W 610-3 10mm. revolver there. Promptly sent out the cylinder out to be reamed so it now accepts 10mm. Magnum rounds.
It being an N-frame it's plenty sturdy for 10mm. Magnum.
As far as a holster goes there are plenty of custom holster makers out there.
I had one made for the new S&W at Diamond D Leather out of Alaska. They'll most likely have your guns holster since they have a huge list of guns they've already made holsters for.
Kinda pricey but not horribly so. I paid $200 bucks for mine but it fits like a glove and it's adjustable.
Also got my initials engraved on it and got the carrier for an extra loaded moon clip.
View attachment 730256

View attachment 730253
4" S&W Model 69 Combat Magnum in .44 Magnum....5-shot on a pure L-Frame....I use it in a El-Paso "tanker" rig.

l 001 (2).JPG

I don't like the bulk of speed loaders so I opted for a pouch with a speed strip.

It's a real pussycat with .44 Special loads but the 90s era Uncle Mikes Combat grips calms it down when using .44 Magnum.

OP, I'd opt for a DeSantis Speed Scabbard.....IMHO it's the best OWB holster you can use. well made and don't cost a arm and a leg. They make them for the Kimber in different barrel lengths.

I must have eight or ten of them in various flavors.

dsnts-k6s-speedscabbard.jpg

4" S&W Model 69 Combat Magnum in .44 Magnum....5-shot on a pure L-Frame....I use it in a El-Paso "tanker" rig.

View attachment 730266

I don't like the bulk of speed loaders so I opted for a pouch with a speed strip.

It's a real pussycat with .44 Special loads but the 90s era Uncle Mikes Combat grips calms it down when using .44 Magnum.

OP, I'd opt for a DeSantis Speed Scabbard.....IMHO it's the best OWB holster you can use. well made and don't cost a arm and a leg. They make them for the Kimber in different barrel lengths.

I must have eight or ten of them in various flavors.

dsnts-k6s-speedscabbard.jpg

Never been a fan of tooled leather holsters.
Looks well made though.
Obviously the Diamond D isnt for everyday carry.
I like it because it doesnt interfere with upper body movement and I can drive the SxS with it on and still access it easily.
Also great for frog gigging in alligator infested waters.

Last edited:
Never been a fan of tooled leather holsters.
Looks well made though.
Obviously the Diamond D isnt for everyday carry.
I like it because it doesnt interfere with upper body movement and I can drive the SxS with it on and still access it easily.
Also great for frog gigging in alligator infested waters.
I found it at the flea market for $10.00 so yeah, if I was paying real money for one it would be plain brown. ;)

I like the "tanker" style when I'm wearing bib overalls when out hunting.

Forum List

Back