Question

You don't want to pay for children on welfare.
You don't want abortion to be legal.
You don't want to subsidize access to birth control.

What do you think should be done to prevent or reduce unplanned pregnancies?

People should just not have sex if they don't want to have a child. It's not like sex is a basic human need or anything. Duh.

Actually I think is one of the MOST basic human and other animal needs, maybe right after eating and breathing.

But back to abortion, which praise baby jesus, our medical advances now offer as an option. Seems to me, when we start running short of unwanted children, and are down to only those desiring and able to assume the immense responsibility or parenting, let me know.

Godforbid, children should be loved and wanted, only. Mandate that ALL WOMEN carry EVERY pregnancy TO TERM, since well their wombs are PROPERTY OF THE STATE, and not their own property / person protected by our privacy laws.

Outlaw intercourse!!! God needs to do His own fucking job and not expect us to pro while He merely creates. If He could do it for Adam and Eve, what's stopping Him now???

Let God create!! Then only His will be done, and not some rapist pro'ing and thus forcing the "Alimighty" to create something He knows will be aborted, since well, He's behind it all anyway, and we're merely part of one of His ways, which as we know, is fucking mysterious, to say the least.

Amen.

Wow....that was a whole bunch of stupid! Lol!

Of course it happened.

It's just when I am asked to subsidize it, I say no.

Personal responsibility is severely lacking in today's world.

So, in your world view, are people who lack the personal responsibility to prevent pregnancy likely to make responsible parents?

So in your world view, are people that are responsible, responsible for the irresponsibility of others?

...you need insurance for birth control.

Really? You sure about that? Pretty sure you can buy such things without going through an insurance company.

Not all, and certainly not all poor, who we know have limited access and thus much lower use. So while we save a few bucks on BC, lucky us, Medicaid can cover the prenatal, birthing, maybe astronimical premature birth costs, after which, mommy and baby are on the fast track to receiving welfare.

Good thinking!!

People should just not have sex if they don't want to have a child. It's not like sex is a basic human need or anything. Duh.

It sure the hell is a need for me. *wink*

If you don't think it's a need, you're doing. it. wrong.

So in your world view, are people that are responsible, responsible for the irresponsibility of others?

Not necessarily, but if an irresponsible uninsured motorist hits your vehicle, will it cost you money?

My point is that it's not necessarily about assuming responsibility for other people, in some cases, it's about protecting yourself from the harm that irresponsible people (and their offspring) might cause.

Does that make sense?

Don't get me wrong, I'm all about personal responsibility. But, I've also spent the past 21 years working with the offspring of teen moms. And, there's a societal price tag that comes from fatherless kids growing up in poverty. You're already paying for it, and probably more than you'd pay to prevent people from having kids they aren't equipped to take care of.

Sometimes, I think you have to cut your losses and do the least bad thing to prevent a worse outcome.

So, there are ideals (i.e., personal responsibility), and then there is pragmatic acceptance of reality (a segment of our population isn't very responsible), and the awareness that doing nothing is worse.

Really? You sure about that? Pretty sure you can buy such things without going through an insurance company.

Not all, and certainly not all poor, who we know have limited access and thus much lower use. So while we save a few bucks on BC, lucky us, Medicaid can cover the prenatal, birthing, maybe astronimical premature birth costs, after which, mommy and baby are on the fast track to receiving welfare.

Good thinking!!

Insurance is not required to purchase birth control. Thanks for the little rant though, hope you feel better.

A girl without insurance can go to a walk-in type clinic (doc in a box) and may be able to get a prescription for birth control pills, but she's going to have to pay for the office visit and a pelvic exam before they prescribe it. And, if she doesn't have insurance, that's going to run her upwards of $250 at most of those places. That may not be a lot for some of us, but for a part time walmart worker who earns $9 an hour and takes home $700, it's a lot. She's more likely to just risk it.

Good thinking!!

Insurance is not required to purchase birth control. Thanks for the little rant though, hope you feel better.

Gotcha. Money too can be used? Golly; who knew???

Tip: folks without insurance are often also limited in cash for shit, especially prevention items, since well, fuckit, if you're poor, you tend to overlook things higher up on Maslow's pyramid.

Imagine that.

Nope, not if you've purchased auto insurance, which includes coverage for an accident caused by an uninsured motorist.

Actually, it does cost you money, because large numbers of uninsured drivers drives up the insurance rates for the pool of insured drivers. And, of course, you have to pay an additional sum to cover uninsured drivers (it's actually specifically noted on your policy these days).

In other words, you're assuming responsibility for the people who aren't responsible enough to insure themselves, which is what Ernie was hoping to avoid doing.

My point is that we do this all the time...we assume responsibility for other people. We fund schools our kids don't attend, we pay for roads we don't drive on, we pay higher rates for health insurance because uninsured people default on their medical bills, etc.

It's part of living in an organized society.

For me, at least, if we want more responsible people and fewer irresponsible people, we probably should do something to curtail the problem of irresponsible people breeding more irresponsible people.

A girl without insurance can go to a walk-in type clinic (doc in a box) and may be able to get a prescription for birth control pills, but she's going to have to pay for the office visit and a pelvic exam before they prescribe it. And, if she doesn't have insurance, that's going to run her upwards of $250 at most of those places. That may not be a lot for some of us, but for a part time walmart worker who earns $9 an hour and takes home $700, it's a lot. She's more likely to just risk it.

I could point out that condoms are a lot cheaper...and more effective in preventing disease, but to your point, there's no inalienable right to birth control pills. If a woman feels she must have such drugs, and she just can't manage to use a cheaper condom instead, she is free to request assistance from charitable organizations. This should not give you the right to force funds from other citizens.

I could point out that condoms are a lot cheaper...and more effective in preventing disease, but to your point, there's no inalienable right to birth control pills. If a woman feels she must have such drugs, and she just can't manage to use a cheaper condom instead, she is free to request assistance from charitable organizations. This should not give you the right to force funds from other citizens.

First, condoms aren't a lot cheaper. Birth control pills cost about $20 a month, condoms cost about $1.40 each. Birth control pills protect from pregnancy for 30 days, condoms are a one-time shot. Condoms also have a failure rate which is 10 times higher than birth control pills.

Do your children attend public schools?

Last edited:

Forum List

Back