Question

Not all, and certainly not all poor, who we know have limited access and thus much lower use. So while we save a few bucks on BC, lucky us, Medicaid can cover the prenatal, birthing, maybe astronimical premature birth costs, after which, mommy and baby are on the fast track to receiving welfare.

Good thinking!!

Insurance is not required to purchase birth control. Thanks for the little rant though, hope you feel better.

Gotcha. Money too can be used? Golly; who knew???

Tip: folks without insurance are often also limited in cash for shit, especially prevention items, since well, fuckit, if you're poor, you tend to overlook things higher up on Maslow's pyramid.

Imagine that.

Insurance is still not required to purchase birth control. Feel better yet?

You don't want to pay for children on welfare.
You don't want abortion to be legal.
You don't want to subsidize access to birth control.

What do you think should be done to prevent or reduce unplanned pregnancies?

People should just not have sex if they don't want to have a child. It's not like sex is a basic human need or anything. Duh.

And you think it is? Don't confuse desire with need.

Maslow disagrees with you.

Insurance is not required to purchase birth control. Thanks for the little rant though, hope you feel better.

Gotcha. Money too can be used? Golly; who knew???

Tip: folks without insurance are often also limited in cash for shit, especially prevention items, since well, fuckit, if you're poor, you tend to overlook things higher up on Maslow's pyramid.

Imagine that.

Insurance is still not required to purchase birth control. Feel better yet?

Yes; intellectual superiority is a much (MUCH!) better feeling, now that you mention it.

Thanks eflat. Dumbfucks it seems are not without certain benefits. I'm feeling great!

Nope, not if you've purchased auto insurance, which includes coverage for an accident caused by an uninsured motorist.

Actually, it does cost you money, because large numbers of uninsured drivers drives up the insurance rates for the pool of insured drivers. And, of course, you have to pay an additional sum to cover uninsured drivers (it's actually specifically noted on your policy these days).

Yes, and I VOLUNTARILY choose to purchase that insurance. What you advocate is akin to government forcible taking money from me to buy auto insurance for those that say they can't afford it. VERY different.

So, what you're saying is that there weren't unplanned pregnancies before the advent of PP?

Does not matter today. Birth control is available now and extremely easy to get. And no, not just condoms, but a verity of contraceptives from daprevera to what ever.

It is easy for me, as a person who is in the top 20% income bracket in this country, to access birth control. I have good health insurance and the funds to do so. It is not easy for low income women who lack access to a healthcare provider to access birth control.

Condoms, you can buy in the store. Birth control pills, depo=provera, etc., require a prescription. Getting a prescription requires working with a healthcare provider, which often requires health insurance.

Condoms can be had for free. And when me and the wife first go together in High school we were no income. Dont get me wrong here, I do think berth control should be available, at reduced cost, but I also think parents need to start parenting there kids. As far as subsidizing it, we already do. And I have "evolved" on the issue enough to realize that a pack of birth control pill is cheaper to subsidize then food stamps and medicare for 18 years.

[/QUOTE]Getting a prescription requires working with a healthcare provider, which often requires health insurance.[/QUOTE]

It is costly,

Sexual & Reproductive Health Services in Washington - Downtown Center - Planned Parenthood

Prices and Payment Information

Price ranges for our birth control methods are:

birth control implant - $820
birth control patch (Ortho Evra) - $35
birth control shot - $120
birth control vaginal ring (NuvaRing) - $50
condom - Free
female condom - Free
emergency contraception (morning after pill) - $28
IUD (Mirena) - $750
IUD (ParaGard) - $600
sterilization for women (Essure) - Counseling and exam - $200, Essure procedure - $2300
birth control methods may require an office visit fee - $55-80

Some services may have additional charges for lab and blood work.

Some birth control services may be covered by your insurance. If you want to use your insurance, please be sure to bring in your insurance information at the time of your visit.

Medicaid accepted.

But they got you covered,

Payment and Insurance Information - Planned Parenthood - New York City

I don't have any health insurance. Will PPNYC still see me?

Yes. If you do not have health insurance, you can still come to PPNYC. PPNYC has Entitlement Counselors at each of our three health centers. This counselor can help you find out if you can get Medicaid, Child Health Plus, or the Medicaid Family Planning Benefit Program. If you do not qualify for these health insurance programs, our centers may still be able to offer you a lower fee, depending on your income and the services that you need. In order to see a counselor, please call (212) 965-7000 or 1 (800) 230-PLAN to make an appointment.

What is the Medicaid Family Planning Benefit Program?

The Medicaid Family Planning Benefit Program is a health insurance program that provides family planning and GYN benefits to men and women aged 10 - 64. If you qualify, you will not have to pay when you visit PPNYC and other providers. You will not have to pay here or at the pharmacy for your birth control. Learn more about the Medicaid Family Planning Benefit Program.

How can I find out if I can get Medicaid, Child Health Plus, or the Medicaid Family Planning Benefit Program?

PPNYC's Entitlement Counselors can help determine if you are eligible for one of these programs, and can help you fill out an application. To find out more, please call (212) 965-7000 or 1 (800) 230-PLAN to make an appointment with an Entitlement Counselor.

What if I cannot get Medicaid, Child Health Plus, or the Medicaid Family Planning Benefit Program? Can I still come to PPNYC?

Yes. If we find out that you may not be able to get Medicaid, Child Health Plus, or the Medicaid Family Planning Benefit Program, PPNYC may be able to offer you a lower fee for your visit, depending on your income. Please ask about our lower fees when you make an appointment, by calling (212) 965-7000 or 1 (800) 230-PLAN.

So whether or not we want to subsidies it does not matter. We already do.

A girl without insurance can go to a walk-in type clinic (doc in a box) and may be able to get a prescription for birth control pills, but she's going to have to pay for the office visit and a pelvic exam before they prescribe it. And, if she doesn't have insurance, that's going to run her upwards of $250 at most of those places. That may not be a lot for some of us, but for a part time walmart worker who earns $9 an hour and takes home $700, it's a lot. She's more likely to just risk it.

I could point out that condoms are a lot cheaper...and more effective in preventing disease, but to your point, there's no inalienable right to birth control pills. If a woman feels she must have such drugs, and she just can't manage to use a cheaper condom instead, she is free to request assistance from charitable organizations. This should not give you the right to force funds from other citizens.

First, condoms aren't a lot cheaper. Birth control pills cost about $20 a month, condoms cost about $1.40 each. Birth control pills protect from pregnancy for 30 days, condoms are a one-time shot. Condoms also have a failure rate which is 10 times higher than birth control pills.

Horse hockey. Condoms from between 30 and 50 cents each:
Lifestyles Snugger Fit only $5.99/12-Pack

Further, you didn't include that oh-so-expensive office visit and pelvic exam in your cost of pills. Rather dis-ingenious of you.

Failure rate for condoms? Sure, if you're retarded.

Do your children attend public schools?

If you want to talk about the government monopoly on affordable education, start a new thread.

Last edited:

There's also the reluctance by many to allow homosexual couples to adopt, taking away a large group of potential adopters.

So, you support giving out free condoms to poor people?

If you want to talk about the government monopoly on affordable education, start a new thread.

If your children attend school, the reason that their education is affordable is because all of the property owners in your area are subsidizing it. So, in other words, your neighbors are taking responsibility to educate your children.

There's also the reluctance by many to allow homosexual couples to adopt, taking away a large group of potential adopters.

Only in a few areas. I know two gay couples who have kids. One from when he was still in the closet, the other adopted.

Only in a few areas. I know two gay couples who have kids. One from when he was still in the closet, the other adopted.

It happens, and it should, imo. :thup:

Condoms are free.

Not always, but there are places where you can get free condoms yes, I had to pay for mine at Walmart.

True, but when I was a kid I did not go to wally for them. We would cut school and go to PP and grab a hand full out of the bowl sitting on the counter, then off to the woods for some shenanigans. Uou are also a consenting responsible adult. As a teen, I was to self conscious to go buy them.

Last edited:
So in your world view, are people that are responsible, responsible for the irresponsibility of others?

Not necessarily, but if an irresponsible uninsured motorist hits your vehicle, will it cost you money?

Better question would be, if an uninsured motorist hits my vehicle, will it cost YOU money?
My point is that it's not necessarily about assuming responsibility for other people, in some cases, it's about protecting yourself from the harm that irresponsible people (and their offspring) might cause.

Does that make sense?

Don't get me wrong, I'm all about personal responsibility. But, I've also spent the past 21 years working with the offspring of teen moms. And, there's a societal price tag that comes from fatherless kids growing up in poverty. You're already paying for it, and probably more than you'd pay to prevent people from having kids they aren't equipped to take care of.

Sometimes, I think you have to cut your losses and do the least bad thing to prevent a worse outcome.

So, there are ideals (i.e., personal responsibility), and then there is pragmatic acceptance of reality (a segment of our population isn't very responsible), and the awareness that doing nothing is worse.
I understand what you are saying, and I do help people less fortunate than myself. It is MY choice. It's a privilege I have because I've managed to save a few bucks, not a penalty I'm forced to pay more for, the more responsible I am or have been.
I don't have a problem with the "safety net" but the problem is it becomes far too comfortable, kind of like a hammock.

Government has never had to subsidize my life, my babies, my pregnancies, my food bill, my birth control or the numerous other choices we all make and we call life. Yes choices! Don't make freakin' choices that others will have to pay for please. Not speaking to you personally Catz but just in reply to your OP.

I don't have a problem with the "safety net" but the problem is it becomes far too comfortable, kind of like a hammock.

I understand totally, but as a pragmatist, we can't reduce the people comfortable in the safety net if we don't reduce the amount of children born to teen and unwed mothers in poverty. The only thing that I've seen that works, to this point, is increased access to birth control.

It's a chicken/egg.

So, you support giving out free condoms to poor people?

Sure, as long as the money to do so is collected on a voluntary basis.

If your children attend school, the reason that their education is affordable is because all of the property owners in your area are subsidizing it. So, in other words, your neighbors are taking responsibility to educate your children.

Not if I pay the same property taxes. Again, if you want to talk about how the government monopoly on affordable education has resulted in skyrocketing costs and crappy results, start another tread.

I understand totally, but as a pragmatist, we can't reduce the people comfortable in the safety net if we don't reduce the amount of children born to teen and unwed mothers in poverty. The only thing that I've seen that works, to this point, is increased access to birth control.

It's a chicken/egg.

Then start a charity and stop forcing it through government. I'll be the first one to write you a check.

Forum List

Back