Question (sort of) for Motorcyclists at this Time of Year

DGS49

Diamond Member
Apr 12, 2012
Pittsburgh
In Western Pennsylvania, where I live and ride, the people who are in charge of roads have a way of adding a year or two of additional life to an asphalt roadway. It's called, "tar & chips." What they do is spray the roadway with tar, the spread about a quarter inch of fine "chips" (I think it's ground up slag). So for the next month or so there is a residue of loose "chips" on the roadway, mainly in the center of the lane (where car tires don't grind it into the existing asphalt).

For a MC, this coating of "chips" actually makes the roadway unsafe, and God help you if you have to make a sudden stop (to avoid a deer, for example), or make a quick turn. Usually, if this has been done recently, there is no way of avoiding that road, because you don't know it's there until you actually start riding on it. I've never heard of anyone having a MC accident in these conditions, but such accidents would probably not involve personal injuries or significant property damage. Only to the motorcyclist and his bike.

Anybody else have that issue where they live/ride? I hate it.

In Western Pennsylvania, where I live and ride, the people who are in charge of roads have a way of adding a year or two of additional life to an asphalt roadway. It's called, "tar & chips." What they do is spray the roadway with tar, the spread about a quarter inch of fine "chips" (I think it's ground up slag). So for the next month or so there is a residue of loose "chips" on the roadway, mainly in the center of the lane (where car tires don't grind it into the existing asphalt).

For a MC, this coating of "chips" actually makes the roadway unsafe, and God help you if you have to make a sudden stop (to avoid a deer, for example), or make a quick turn. Usually, if this has been done recently, there is no way of avoiding that road, because you don't know it's there until you actually start riding on it. I've never heard of anyone having a MC accident in these conditions, but such accidents would probably not involve personal injuries or significant property damage. Only to the motorcyclist and his bike.

Any accident on a bike has a high likelyhood of personal injuries. Emergency rooms call them donorcycles.
A long time ago, before they started making cars better, they called the center of the lane the oil strip, where cars leaked motor oil. It sucked for a lot of different reasons. Experienced riders know you should ride closer to the center stripe anyway, so you can more effectively maintain your visible position in the flow of traffic. If someone passes the car behind you, they might not even know you are there before they have to pull back into their lane, leaving you no place to go.

Last edited:
Trade in the old bike for a trike!!!
Much better ground grabbing area!!
Plus, if you spin out, you won't fall over, you'll just do a "donut"!!

1665928983914.png

1665929029060.png

1665929061545.png

1665929078866.png

1665929132669.png

1665929439575.png

Or, if you want to be BOOOOORING............

1665929235846.png

1665929274389.png

1665929333728.png

1665929492216.png

Tar and Chips is a common coating on secondary roads in rural areas. It is cheap and beats dirt or gravel roads

My advice to motorcyclists on one of these roads….
Slow down if you don’t trust the road surface

Yes, I do slow down. And it pisses off the 4-wheelers behind me, sometimes inducing them to pass me in a dangerous maneuver.

Accidents under these conditions would generally be of a "bike slid out from under me" type. Not life threatening.

Trade in the old bike for a trike!!!
Much better ground grabbing area!!
Plus, if you spin out, you won't fall over, you'll just do a "donut"!!

View attachment 710841
View attachment 710842
View attachment 710843
View attachment 710844
View attachment 710845
View attachment 710851

Or, if you want to be BOOOOORING............

View attachment 710847
View attachment 710848
View attachment 710849
View attachment 710853
I'll be boring but only if you donate about 25K to my purchase fund.......

We don't have that here in Florida, but I can only imagine how much it sucks...

Forum List

Back