Question about Selective Service

MeBelle

MeBelle 4 Prez 2024
Jul 16, 2011
OK-
After my oldest graduated from HS a few years ago, I remember getting a letter stating he needed to sign up for SS or else. He complied.

Next son graduated from HS about a year ago. He was in ROTC. He has not received the 'sign up or else' letter. He also did not register for SS while in ROTC.

Both sons are past 18. Both are registered voters. Both have DLs. Both attend college.
First born has been called for jury duty.

Question #1: Is there a 'waiting' period before second son receives the 'letter'?

Question #2: Is there a way to verify either sons registration?

Question #3: ___________________ fill in the blank, 'cause I'm sure I forgot something!

As the Queen Mum of this household I am very concerned that second son will get some sort of reprimand if he didn't register.

I know there are many vets on this board, so I feel safe in asking this question.

TIA!

~Belle

OK-
After my oldest graduated from HS a few years ago, I remember getting a letter stating he needed to sign up for SS or else. He complied.

Next son graduated from HS about a year ago. He was in ROTC. He has not received the 'sign up or else' letter. He also did not register for SS while in ROTC.

Both sons are past 18. Both are registered voters. Both have DLs. Both attend college.
First born has been called for jury duty.

Question #1: Is there a 'waiting' period before second son receives the 'letter'?

Question #2: Is there a way to verify either sons registration?

Question #3: ___________________ fill in the blank, 'cause I'm sure I forgot something!

As the Queen Mum of this household I am very concerned that second son will get some sort of reprimand if he didn't register.

I know there are many vets on this board, so I feel safe in asking this question.

TIA!

~Belle

1. It's a government bureaucracy. Some people get it right away, others never get it.

2. Yes, contact your Congressman.

3. Signing up for ROTC includes singing up for Selective Service.

I'm pretty sure that one starts the Naval Academy before they turn 18 - before they must register with selective service - they don't have to register. If they leave the Academy before completing their coursework and starting their commitment to duty, then they have to register.

If they turn 18 before they become midshipman, then they MUST register for SS, otherwise no midshipman.

Maybe it's the same way with ROTC? If he was already in training before he turned 18, maybe the same applies to him?

Either way, I would recommend he talk to his CO about it just to make sure.

Last edited:
I'm pretty sure that one starts the Naval Academy before they turn 18 - before they must register with selective service - they don't have to register. If they leave the Academy before completing their coursework and starting their commitment to duty, then they have to register.

If they turn 18 before they become midshipman, then they MUST register for SS, otherwise no midshipman.

Maybe it's the same way with ROTC? If he was already in training before he turned 18, maybe the same applies to him?

He was in ROTC while in High School.

He was in ROTC while in High School.
Is he still in it? If so, he's might be OK for the same reason that the midshipmen are.

I still think he should talk to his CO about it. If he fails to register before he reaches 25, there are jobs he will never be able to get because of that.

It should be a simple conversation for him to have. If it were me, I would register anyway, just to make sure.

Last edited:
Why doesn't he just go to the Post Office, get a form and sign up? Not a big deal and you don't need a personal invitation. There's no draft now so no need for him to worry.

Why doesn't he just go to the Post Office, get a form and sign up? Not a big deal and you don't need a personal invitation. There's no draft now so no need for him to worry.

I'm not worried about him being drafted...I am concerned with compliance.

Thanks for telling me the forms are at the PO.

I'm not worried about him being drafted...I am concerned with compliance.

Thanks for telling me the forms are at the PO.

Concerned about compliance? The simple solution to your problem is to encourage him to comply.

Basic rule of thumb, if you don't get a letter, and don't sign up for SS, it is your fault, so sign up. It is a lot better to sign up even if you don't have to than not sign up, so sign up.

Dont do anything.

Like I intendto do if the IRS hassles me for not having health insurance in 2014 when Obamacare is suppossed to take effect.

When I was in high school they dragged a bunch of us into the gynasium and had us to fill out the forms right there, not like it mattered a few months later I was in the Air Force doing boot camp.

Dont do anything.

Like I intendto do if the IRS hassles me for not having health insurance in 2014 when Obamacare is suppossed to take effect.

Mebelle whatever you don't do, don't listen to this belligerent drunken asshole right here. He will lead you right off a cliff into a raging forest fire.

The internet is the worst place to ask such a question. Contact your US Senator or your Member of the House of Representatives.

Forum List

Back