Question about elite urban housing

DustyInfinity

Platinum Member
Jan 6, 2018
Midwest
In 2010, I took a tour of the Northwest. A tour guide in Seattle just stated matter of factly that workers can't afford to live in the city. That got me thinking, if the people working in Seattle don't live in Seattle, who does? San Francisco is famous for having insane living expenses. I've seen videos where even the workers for the huge liberal tech companies don't live in the city. Some of these employees actually chose to live in RVs because they didn't want to give all their earnings to living expenses. If big tech company employees don't even live in San Francisco, who the heck does? It is like this in many liberal strongholds like Chicago and New York City. I saw videos about the urine smell is New York bus stations. Who in the world live in these liberal utopias?

If big tech company employees don't even live in San Francisco, who the heck does?

Unknown.jpeg

Every city has poor neighborhoods and or suburbs.

I love how Cons mock these cities because of their wealth. They are the economic engines of the USA . Show some respect .

Hey, list some conservative utopias ? Name two!

I suspect most of the housing turned over many years ago. The people who live there now could not afford to purchase their homes now. Those who are buying either have a large down paymemt from another source, or are devoting a huge percentage of their incomes to housing.

But it is a puzzle. Like who is parked in the first half mile from the airport terminal.

I love how Cons mock these cities because of their wealth. They are the economic engines of the USA . Show some respect .

I'm not mocking them. I just hear how expensive they are and wonder who can afford to live in them. This isn't about the 'bad' neighborhoods. This is about everywhere else. If the people who work in these cities don't live there, who does?

Where I live, and no, I won't name it. You crazy or something? We are outside the zombie perimeter.

We're beyond the riff-raff pay grade here, and camping is not permitted.

I'm not mocking them. I just hear how expensive they are and wonder who can afford to live in them. This isn't about the 'bad' neighborhoods. This is about everywhere else. If the people who work in these cities don't live there, who does?

This is the reason people call for rent control and affordable housing . (Which conservatives hate). It’s hard to sustain a city that gets too expensive . People have to move outward and that causes traffic from commuters .

How do the markets remain so high if people can't afford them? Why are there not a lot of vacant properties until prices come down?

Jackson Hole Wyoming. Scottsdale Arizona.

In 2010, I took a tour of the Northwest. A tour guide in Seattle just stated matter of factly that workers can't afford to live in the city. That got me thinking, if the people working in Seattle don't live in Seattle, who does? San Francisco is famous for having insane living expenses. I've seen videos where even the workers for the huge liberal tech companies don't live in the city. Some of these employees actually chose to live in RVs because they didn't want to give all their earnings to living expenses. If big tech company employees don't even live in San Francisco, who the heck does? It is like this in many liberal strongholds like Chicago and New York City. I saw videos about the urine smell is New York bus stations. Who in the world live in these liberal utopias?
I can't speak to problems in San Francisco but I can speak to Seattle's problems. I lived in Seattle for 8 years and now have a home in a neighboring city.

The Downtown section of Seattle like a number of large cities have become far too expensive for the average person. You can expect to pay $3,000 to $13,000 a month to live in the downtown area. Condos in the neighborhood of a million or higher are common.

Get a place 2 to 5 miles out and housing cost will go down about 50% which is still to high for many. The outskirts of the city and neighboring towns and cities in the Puget Sound area are were most people live. The population of Seattle is about 750,000. The central Puget Sound area which includes Seattle has a population of about 4 million.

To me the Seattle area is a great place to live and looking at the number of people moving here every week a lot of people agree. However, a great place to live depends what you're looking for.

The minimum wage in Seattle is $15/hr for most workers. About 60% make considerably more. The median household income is about $83,000 a year in Seattle. By comparison it's about $65,000 in Dallas/Fort Worth and $54,000 in Miami.

How do the markets remain so high if people can't afford them? Why are there not a lot of vacant properties until prices come down?
You would be surprised at the number of people that can afford to sink a million into a condo. There are now over 11 million millionaires in the US. In 2017 we added over 700,000 new millionaire households. However, as the saying goes a million dollars just doesn't buy what it use to.
Here’s how many millionaires there are in the U.S.

Last edited:

Know this will be a shock to you but people who can afford to buy there do so.

Forum List

Back