Question about "citing" when writing a paper

Does anyone know the proper format to site a website if you are mentioning information you gained from it in a research type of paper for school?

The best site on the Net to answer your questions, this:

Research and Documentation Online 5th Edition

Thanks Shart :)

You are most welcome.

It's been over 15 years now since I was an undergrad, and MLA handbooks and whatnot are anachronisms now because of the Net.

I feel your pain. :thup:

Does anyone know the proper format to site a website if you are mentioning information you gained from it in a research type of paper for school?

You are most welcome.

It's been over 15 years now since I was an undergrad, and MLA handbooks and whatnot are anachronisms now because of the Net.

I am not good at writing in the first place. But my professor is very strict, and this 15 page paper is due Friday.

What does your instructor require? some are very particular about which system you use, at least mine were

What does your instructor require? some are very particular about which system you use, at least mine were

MLA

He wants everything cited if you got it from somewhere.

But In a paragraph I wrote just an opinion where I mentioned how the occupy movement started and I don't know if I need to look up a website and somehow be like ( occupy movement 2012) or something like that , and I am not even sure if I really have to do a cite over that.

MLA

He wants everything cited if you got it from somewhere.

But In a paragraph I wrote just an opinion where I mentioned how the occupy movement started and I don't know if I need to look up a website and somehow be like ( occupy movement 2012) or something like that , and I am not even sure if I really have to do a cite over that.
my rule of thumb is always to cite a source if you gathered information from it. now, granted there are some things that are common knowledge, and what you can consider common knowledge will vary widely on the subject of your paper.

that said, if you're talking about how a movement started, it's probably best to have a citation from a legitimate source. things like that tend to vary widely depending on who is telling the tale and what their agenda is.

citationmachine.net

This is a very good resource, but you should double-check them when they're done. There are a few different citation generators online, for each of the many types of citations (MLA, APA, Chicago, etc).

But always double check them.

Also, the Purdue OWL website has a lot on MLA formatting:

Purdue OWL MLA Formatting and Style Guide

You are most welcome.

I am not good at writing in the first place. But my professor is very strict, and this 15 page paper is due Friday.
I was GREAT at writing but poor as a typist.

When I was in school, Liquid Paper was cutting edge stuff.

Students today have it made.

With computers and printers and spellcheck, any dolt should be able to get a Master's, and anyone with half a brain a PhD.

You are most welcome.

With computers and printers and spellcheck, and dolt should be able to get a Master's, and anyone with half a brain a PhD.

Grammar and spelling do not a Masters thesis make.

He said he would fail you for the whole course if you fail to cite properly.
He said that, and did not instruct you on how to cite properly?

Typical lazy asshole professor.

I bet he spends most class time shilling for Dems.

Last edited:

You are most welcome.

With computers and printers and spellcheck, and dolt should be able to get a Master's, and anyone with half a brain a PhD.

Grammar and spelling do not a Masters thesis make.
No, but spellcheck frees one from the tyranny of the typewriter, making the rest a breeze.

He said that, and did not instruct you on how to cite properly.

resources for proper citation are freely available all over the internet, and i'd wager the style and where to find the style were placed in the course syllabus.

resources for proper citation are freely available all over the internet, and i'd wager the style and where to find the style were placed in the course syllabus.
Don't tell me, tell College Kid.

I got my Master's and +30, but, didn't want a PhD.

I just wanted to retire and I did.

He will only see you by appointment, but it is hard to even talk to him after class because he has to head to another class right after. Plus he scares me :lol: I am afraid of failing and I am somewhat introverted offline.. Also, part of the problem is being afraid to ask questions in his classroom.

I have this math class and whenever I don't get the algebra formula if I ask a question or seem confused this girl across from me always laughs and it just bothers me. smh

Edited : thank I got my answer.

I appreciate all the replies.

Last edited:

He will only see you by appointment, but it is hard to even talk to him after class because he has to head to another class right after. Plus he scares me :lol: I am afraid of failing and I am somewhat introverted offline.. Also, part of the problem is being afraid to ask questions in his classroom.

I have this math class and whenever I don't get the algebra formula if I ask a question or seem confused this girl across from me always laughs and it just bothers me. smh
Big tip.

Sit in the front and ask questions.

A's are concentrated in the front, F's in the back.

Look the prof in the eye too.

Forum List

Back