Question about "citing" when writing a paper

He said he would fail you for the whole course if you fail to cite properly.
He said that, and did not instruct you on how to cite properly.

Typical lazy asshole professor.

I bet he spends most class time shilling for Dems.
resources for proper citation are freely available all over the internet, and i'd wager the style and where to find the style were placed in the course syllabus.

What I am asking is not the bibliography, but in the actual paragraph, so for instance if I say:

The occupy movement was a way for some to blahblah blah <----my opinion

Would I need to put : The occupy movement (occupy movement, 2012) was a way for some to blahblah blah

and if so, since I don't have any article I got this from would I just look up the occupy movement on a website and then cite it in that paragragh even though I didn't use the website or article, simply because I mentioned the occupy movement,
Just praise the Occupy Movement.

Chance are the prof will give you an A.

He will only see you by appointment, but it is hard to even talk to him after class because he has to head to another class right after. Plus he scares me :lol: I am afraid of failing and I am somewhat introverted offline.. Also, part of the problem is being afraid to ask questions in his classroom.

I have this math class and whenever I don't get the algebra formula if I ask a question or seem confused this girl across from me always laughs and it just bothers me. smh
Big tip.

Sit in the front and ask questions.

A's are concentrated in the front, F's in the back.

Look the prof in the eye too.

I sit up front, he has a cute canadian accent I like the way he says his o's, but I don't want to ask questions in front of the class. ( I'd break out in hives) :lol:

I think I figured this cite thing out now.

Thanks, YOU ALL ARE SO COOL !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

resources for proper citation are freely available all over the internet, and i'd wager the style and where to find the style were placed in the course syllabus.

What I am asking is not the bibliography, but in the actual paragraph, so for instance if I say:

Would I need to put : The occupy movement (occupy movement, 2012) was a way for some to blahblah blah

and if so, since I don't have any article I got this from would I just look up the occupy movement on a website and then cite it in that paragragh even though I didn't use the website or article, simply because I mentioned the occupy movement,
Just praise the Occupy Movement.

Chance are the prof will give you an A.

:badgrin:

Citing is easy...

If it's small use:
___ said, " ." (reference name, date, page 1.)

If it's large use the following:

A portion of reference recites:
tab over to a block of text and/or figure of the citation. Put this text in single space lines.
Reference name, date, page 1.

The best site on the Net to answer your questions, this:

Research and Documentation Online 5th Edition

Thanks Shart :)

You are most welcome.

It's been over 15 years now since I was an undergrad, and MLA handbooks and whatnot are anachronisms now because of the Net.

I feel your pain. :thup:

I am not good at writing in the first place. But my professor is very strict, and this 15 page paper is due Friday.
I was GREAT at writing but poor as a typist.

When I was in school, Liquid Paper was cutting edge stuff.

Students today have it made.

With computers and printers and spellcheck, and dolt should be able to get a Master's, and anyone with half a brain a PhD.

Grammar and spelling do not a Masters thesis make.

True, and I do not enjoy writing. It is such a struggle for me.

He will only see you by appointment, but it is hard to even talk to him after class because he has to head to another class right after. Plus he scares me :lol: I am afraid of failing and I am somewhat introverted offline.. Also, part of the problem is being afraid to ask questions in his classroom.

I have this math class and whenever I don't get the algebra formula if I ask a question or seem confused this girl across from me always laughs and it just bothers me. smh
Big tip.

I sit up front, he has a cute canadian accent I like the way he says his o's, but I don't want to ask questions in front of the class. ( I'd break out in hives) :lol:

You're a girl?

Hell, if he's cute give him a BJ, and work on your other classes!

Big tip.

You're a girl?

Uh no I would not do that ever. :ack-1::laugh2:

well you certainly don't want to cite something just to cite something, and without knowing what your paper is about it's difficult to say what the proper answer is. for instance it would not be necessary to cite a statement that george washington was the first president, but it would be necessary to cite a quotation of his.

either way if you're citing something in a paragraph it needs to be in your reference section.

Big tip.

You're a girl?

Uh no I would not do that ever. :ack-1::laugh2:

I say, I say, that was a joke, son!!!

Publication Manual of the American Psychological Association Sixth Edition

That's the go-to writing manual for college.

There are applications that will automatically put your stuff in teh proper format.

How to Cite an Website in APA
Structure:
Last, F. M. (Year, Month Date Published). Article title. Retrieved from URL

Example:
Satalkar, B. (2010, July 15). Water aerobics. Retrieved from Buzzle

Cain, K. (2012, June 29). The Negative effects of Facebook on communication. Social Media Today RSS. Retrieved from Social Media Today

How to Cite a Blog Post in APA
Structure:
Last, F. M. (Year Month Date Published). Article title [Type of blog post]. Retrieved from URL.

Example:
Schonfeld, E. (2010, May 3). Google throws $38.8 million to the wind [Web log post]. Retrieved May 4, 2010, from TechCrunch - The latest technology news and information on startups

China, The American Press, and the State Department [Web log post]. (2013, January 3). Retrieved from Schonfeld, E. (2010, May 3). Google throws $38.8 million to the wind [Web log post]. Retrieved May 4, 2010, from TechCrunch - The latest technology news and information on startups

EasyBib How to cite a website in APA

well you certainly don't want to cite something just to cite something, and without knowing what your paper is about it's difficult to say what the proper answer is. for instance it would not be necessary to cite a statement that george washington was the first president, but it would be necessary to cite a quotation of his.

either way if you're citing something in a paragraph it needs to be in your reference section.

RKMBrown pretty much answered what I was asking.

Thank you so much for taking the time to reply.

I love this place, all these intellectuals to rely on and ask questions to is so great!

Publication Manual of the American Psychological Association Sixth Edition

That's the go-to writing manual for college.

There are applications that will automatically put your stuff in teh proper format.

How to Cite an Website in APA
Structure:
Last, F. M. (Year, Month Date Published). Article title. Retrieved from URL

Example:
Satalkar, B. (2010, July 15). Water aerobics. Retrieved from Buzzle

Cain, K. (2012, June 29). The Negative effects of Facebook on communication. Social Media Today RSS. Retrieved from Social Media Today

How to Cite a Blog Post in APA
Structure:
Last, F. M. (Year Month Date Published). Article title [Type of blog post]. Retrieved from URL.

Example:
Schonfeld, E. (2010, May 3). Google throws $38.8 million to the wind [Web log post]. Retrieved May 4, 2010, from TechCrunch - The latest technology news and information on startups

China, The American Press, and the State Department [Web log post]. (2013, January 3). Retrieved from Schonfeld, E. (2010, May 3). Google throws $38.8 million to the wind [Web log post]. Retrieved May 4, 2010, from TechCrunch - The latest technology news and information on startups

EasyBib How to cite a website in APA

Thanks Kosher, you are helpful and I appreciate it. :)

APA Citation Style Cornell University Library

Undated Web site content, blogs, and data
For content that does not easily fit into categories such as journal papers, books, and reports, keep in mind the goal of a citation is to give the reader a clear path to the source material. For electronic and online materials, include stable URL or database name. Include the author, title, and date published when available. For undated materials, include the date the resource was accessed.

Blog entry

Arrington, M. (2008, August 5). The viral video guy gets $1 million in funding. Message posted to TechCrunch - The latest technology news and information on startups

Professional Web site

National Renewable Energy Laboratory. (2008). Biofuels. Retrieved May 6, 2008, from NREL Learning - Biofuels Basics

Data set from a database

Bloomberg L.P. (2008). Return on capital for Hewitt Packard 12/31/90 to 09/30/08. Retrieved Dec. 3, 2008, from Bloomberg database.
Central Statistics Office of the Republic of Botswana. (2008). Gross domestic product per capita 06/01/1994 to 06/01/2008 [statistics]. Available from CEIC Data database.

Entire Web site
When citing an entire Web site (and not a specific document on that site), no Reference List entry is required if the address for the site is cited in the text of your paper.

Witchcraft In Europe and America is a site that presents the full text of many essential works in the literature of witchcraft and demonology (http://www.witchcraft.psmedia.com/).

For more detailed information on APA citation style such as information on articles in press, journal special issues and supplements, translations, et cetera, see the Publication Manual of the American Psychological Association and the APA Style Guide to Electronic References.

I love citing stuff, it's fun. I always got a kick out of creating bibliographies.

I'm a librarian at heart, I think.

I love citing stuff, it's fun. I always got a kick out of creating bibliographies.

I'm a librarian at heart, I think.

I have been bookmarking everything.

You are very smart and a good writer in your posts.

I wish I enjoyed writing but I don't. If I had to pick algebra homework or writing this paper, I would pick algebra. :lol:

Well, just don't cite at all, then.

It's just more work anyway.

Well I am doing the work, obviously I want to do a good job or I would not have asked for help here.

Writing has always been a struggle for me, it's hard for me to put my thoughts on paper.

But learning how to do it properly is what I need to do so I am.

Forum List

Back