Q&A: Sudan's Darfur conflict

Discussion in 'Africa' started by Gunny, Feb 24, 2008.

1. Gunny

Gunny Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,770
    A quick refresher course on the history of current events in Sudan's Darfur region.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  2. Gunny

Gunny Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,770
    Hell, I finally found an issue I agree with Obama on. Will wonders never cease?:eusa_think:

3. akiboy

akiboy Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +39
    And we have countries like China backing the Sudanese "regime" for their own bullshit agenda. Yeah , China does have a history of backing sore losers(read N.K , Pakistan , Iran and a group of anti-US third world countries.)

4. Gunny

Gunny Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,770
    Looks like they picked a sure bet this time. A government with a modernized military slaughtering what villagers who live in huts and shacks.

5. Gurdari

Gurdari Egaliterra

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +40
    You sound like you would be bothered by the US backing of other groups?
    Why do you think there are 'anti-US' nations in the third world? Do they hate freedom?

6. onedomino

onedomino SCE to AUX

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +476
    What are you talking about? Akiboy is an Indian living in Dubai and he is referring to China backing anti US regimes. And yes, the regimes in NK and Iran "hate freedom." If there was freedom in NK and Iran, where do you suppose Dear Leader and the Mullahs would be?

7. iegeee

iegeee Rookie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0
    To be honest, I dont think a diplomatic solution will solve anything in Sudan. The Sudanese President and his followers share a passion to achieve their goal. They only want to preserve and prosper Arab people only. I think an actual military solution taking over the leadership is what is needed. I know that US and UN are already in other war fronts but that doesn't change the solution of the problem. I think more horrors are happening in Africa than in Afghanistan or Iraq. According to the leadership in those countries, they just want westerners out of their land. They are actually fighting against us as Americans and not us as defenders of the Iraqi people.
    In Africa, they want to remove the black African people of Sudan. They literally want to annihilate all. It not like people can change their mind. Sudanese leadership have a common goal and will not stop unless stopped. I think this is one of the few occasions in world history that a military force needs to be activated to stop what is going on. There is no other option but war. These people are murderers and have no sympathy for the families they are breaking and the lives they are ruining.
    I know Bush has tried to handle it but hes trying to avoid primary AMERICAN involvement. I understand it, its not like he doenst care. The position the US is in we dont need another war front. Especially if it might be guerrilla warefare once again. What I do know is that it has to be a UN effort. As human beings with power to end such a thing must execute to preserve life. We may all be different, speak different but we all want the same things, and thats peaceful life.

8. Gunny

Gunny Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,770
    Bush hasn't tried to handle shit. Neither has the UN. How long has this been going on?

Face it, when they're completely wiped off the face of the Earth, there won't be a problem. While we just sit and watch it happen. If we should be ashamed as a nation for ANYTHING, this is it.

9. Neubarth

Neubarth At the Ballpark July 30th

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +199

Actually the conflict is not racial so much as it is religious. The ruling Arabs (Arabic speaking) who are strongly of Black blood lines, are Islamic (with the majority followers of Radical Islam. There was a reason why Osama bin Ladin lived among them.)

The Black tribal people are mostly Christian. The Islamics are effectively driving the Christians out of the country or killing them.

Shades of the Russian pogroms against the Jews!

The US has strongly spoken out against the genocide in Darfur and in Southern Sudan. We have been instrumental in getting UN resolutions passed that try to place troops in Sudan. This has been going on for six years now. The Red Chinese veto the resolutions and thus no troops go to the Sudan to save the lives of the Christians. There was so much pressure brought to bear on the Chinese just prior to the Olympics that they finally relented and agreed to UN troops in Sudan if the Sudanese government agreed. The Chinese wanting the Olympics to be successful got the Sudanese government to agree to a token force that is not sufficient to protect more than two or three villages. In essence the UN is totally ineffective. Where the UN is not present, the murders and rapes continue.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2008
  10. Neubarth

Neubarth At the Ballpark July 30th

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +199
    Actually, China's position was a financial one. They have lots of contracts with the Government of the Sudan and do not want to lose their customer.