Peacekeeping in Darfur Hits More Obstacles

Discussion in 'Africa' started by Gunny, Mar 24, 2008.

1. Gunny

Gunny Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,770
    The UN is beyond incompetent. Not to worry though ... sooner or later they're going to run out of people to kill so people can get down to the real business of chastising themselves for doing little or nothing and letting it happen.

2. RetiredGySgt

RetiredGySgt Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,971
    No NO, the liberals will demand we send troops. Ohh wait, no they won't cause they don't care either.

3. Gunny

Gunny Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,770
    Sure they do ... after the fact. Remember Rwanda? AFTER the killing was done they said we should be ashamed for letting it happen ...:eusa_eh:

4. jreeves

jreeves Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +315
    :rofl:

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  5. Larkinn

Larkinn Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +175
    Alright, then lets give the UN an army and an ability to invade countries for HR violations.

No? Then shut the fuck up when its ineffective. Its hilarious that people bitch about how its ineffective, but don't support making it effective.

And yes, you should be ashamed for letting Rwanda happen. But more so, the liberals should be ashamed. Its expected that conservatives won't give a fuck if brown people are being genocided. You all just fulfilled expectations. Liberals, and Clinton, are the ones who really failed.

6. RetiredGySgt

RetiredGySgt Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,971
    Remind us who sold out South Viet Nam? Who wants to sell out Iraq?

7. Larkinn

Larkinn Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +175
    Because those are the worst humanitarian catastrophes around the globe?

Not quite. Not even close. Don't try and claim actions are humanitarian when they are anything but.

8. Gunny

Gunny Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,770
    Not sure where you get your conclusion that conservatives don't give a fuck about brown people. It doesn't matter what color they are, for one thing.

And I have been pushing this issue since I became aware of it YEARS ago and I was quite vocal about Rwanda. Last I checked, no one's been calling me a liberal lately.

What happened in Rwanda was wrong and what is currently happening in Sudan is wrong. And while I'm not into your "One World Order" organization, I support any effort that puts a stop to the genocide of a people.

As far as who supports what, I have posted articles on Darfur for years on this board and others and they go largely ignored, and definitely by the left. One or two responses from a few conservatives maybe, and that's it.

The real problem is NOBODY gives a shit.

9. Larkinn

Larkinn Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +175
    Well cheers, y'all don't care about anyone then!

Its meant as a generalization, as all statements of that type are. Conservatives are more prone to say people need to "pull themselves up by their boostraps", take "personal responsibility" and simultaneously push isolationism and free trade. Some liberals have, mistakenly due to the Iraq fiasco, started to push for isolationism unfortunately.

I've seen you push this issue, but rarely in a form other than "omg the UN is fucked and this is why".

So you don't want one world order, but you want everyone in the world to be held to some certain standards. But any organization that would enforce those standards is terrible because its pushing one world order. But the US isn't the world police either. Wait...

Your views about the UN are incoherent. You, and others, simultaneously bash it for being too weak and too powerful at the same time. One second its "OMG one world order" and the next second its "sovreignity? Whats that? We need to invade countries!".

Speak for yourself Kemo Sabe. There are lots of organizations that DO give a shit and try to get the word out about these issues. Liberal feel-good bullshit organizations like HRW, Amnesty International, the UN. But no, neither side of the American political spectrum as a whole are talking about these issues. On the national scale you are correct, nobody cares.

10. Gunny

Gunny Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,770
    My views about the UN are quite coherent. I NEVER have bashed it for being too "powerful." That's an oxymoron. I criticize the UN for being just another level of ineffective bureaucracy.

Even if the UN was half-ass worth something, I would oppose the US subjugating itself to UN authority, or any authority based on the "One World Order" concept. The US needs to do what is in the US's best interest. The rest of the world does what's in their best interest at the National level, and turn around and point fingers at us for not thinking about them first. And we have people who fall for the crap.

I was actually addressing the "nobody cares" at the message board level, but the national level will do as well. At the UN level it appears they want to just keep discussing the issue.