PTO instead of paid OT?

Two Thumbs

Platinum Member
Sep 27, 2010
Where ever I go, there I am.
GOP seeks alternative to overtime pay

WASHINGTON (AP) — It seems like a simple proposition: give employees who work more than 40 hours a week the option of taking paid time off instead of overtime pay.

The choice already exists in the public sector. Federal and state workers can save earned time off and use it weeks or even months later to attend a parent-teacher conference, care for an elderly parent or deal with home repairs.

Republicans in Congress are pushing legislation that would extend that option to the private sector. They say that would bring more flexibility to the workplace and help workers better balance family and career.

Sounds like a great option to me. There's times when I don't need the extra money and times when I really NEED some time off. Being a divorced dad, I miss out on a lot so I think this is a great idea.

You?

WASHINGTON (AP) — It seems like a simple proposition: give employees who work more than 40 hours a week the option of taking paid time off instead of overtime pay.

The choice already exists in the public sector. Federal and state workers can save earned time off and use it weeks or even months later to attend a parent-teacher conference, care for an elderly parent or deal with home repairs.

Republicans in Congress are pushing legislation that would extend that option to the private sector. They say that would bring more flexibility to the workplace and help workers better balance family and career.

Sounds like a great option to me. There's times when I don't need the extra money and times when I really NEED some time off. Being a divorced dad, I miss out on a lot so I think this is a great idea.

You?

If it's an hour and a half of PTO for over hour of OT, then I'm okay with it. If it's hour for hour match, then forget it. Bosses need to get their tightwad checkbooks out and start paying for their labor.

It's been around a long time in the private sector, it's called comp time.

That is between the company and the employee, IMHO...

My company offers comp time... I take advantage of it... it is generally 1 for 1 hours.. but then again, I am salary... I could see a different company policy for hourly employees, but I don't see the company being FORCED to give 1.5 hours.. the extra time off to bank is a luxury in itself... in a job that you only get 2 or 1 weeks vacation, I can see the benefit of banking up a month or more of PTO

You?

sounds good to me I could take 3 month vacations. but who would fix the machines when I am gone? only maintenance guy at this small factory.

You?

If it's an hour and a half of PTO for over hour of OT, then I'm okay with it. If it's hour for hour match, then forget it. Bosses need to get their tightwad checkbooks out and start paying for their labor.

It's time and a half to 'work' ot
It's time not to work at all

You might want to check who's being greedy

You?

My opinion, the federal government doesn't need to be telling people or companies what they should do.

You?

sounds good to me I could take 3 month vacations. but who would fix the machines when I am gone? only maintenance guy at this small factory.

min number of work days in a month is 20, times 3 is 60 for the 3 months you can take off, times 8 is 480 hours of ot that you work in a year.

wanna rethink that?

You?

(1) Any company can use this option already.

(2) As long as it remains the worker's choice not the business.

(3) The time off is not used to deliberately end a worker's overtime in any given week unless the worker agrees.

Obviously salaried employees can only earn one hour off for one hour worked, usually after working 45 to 50 hours in a week. That is not the issue here, although no federal law mandates that and plenty of private sector businesses including Fortune 100 corporations leave the policy to local HR offices.

Fortunately even some nutballs understand that 1.5 hours of earned pay can't legally translate into one hour of time off just because some lowlife fuckface projects that hourly employees might value time more than the money.

The nutball bill follows existing law requiring 1.5 hours pay in cash or time for 1.5 hours earned in overtime.

The change is it puts the decision of time or money in the hands of the employee. It's a good law offering hourly employees a fair choice and Democrats need to get on board.

Last edited:

You?

min number of work days in a month is 20, times 3 is 60 for the 3 months you can take off, times 8 is 480 hours of ot that you work in a year.

wanna rethink that?

what? didnt bother reading the link....... I am on call 24/7 and I dont pay attention to how many hours I work or even what my pay checks look like. I just heard trading overtime hours for time off.

anyways the point I was trying to make flew right over your head. If legally I could save up comp time and use it would hurt the small companys in the U.S. because they hired me to do a job and need my skills and not farting off some where for weeks.

anyways the point I was trying to make flew right over your head. If legally I could save up comp time and use it would hurt the small companys in the U.S. because they hired me to do a job and need my skills and not farting off some where for weeks.

Maybe.

It could be limited to businesses with more than 50 employees, and to your point, probably should.

But there is nothing wrong with the concept that employees are not thrall and corporations/ employers are not tin gods.

My corporation, a Fortune 100 annually rated among the best run corporations on earth, has ZERO comp time policy. The meek salaried employee is expected to work 45 hrs minimum and 50 when needed. It tickles the hell out of me seeing boy wonders across my desk too chickenshit to ask for the time. Not that I'd give it to some of them, but I do give it to some mediocre women (better than listening to bullshit sob stories) and all top producers.

Last edited:

Maybe.

It could be limited to businesses with more than 50 employees, and to your point, probably should.

But there is nothing wrong with the concept that employees are not thrall and corporations/ employers are not tin gods.

My corporation, a Fortune 100 annually rated among the best run corporations on earth, has ZERO comp time policy. The meek salaried employee is expected to work 45 hrs minimum and 50 when needed. It tickles the hell out of me seeing boy wonders across my desk too chickenshit to ask for the time. Not that I'd give it to some of them, but I do give it to some mediocre women (better than listening to bullshit sob stories) and all top producers.

And thats why I wouldnt work for your company. I work for fun and want to do it. You try to force your dumb ass rules on me do it yourself and take this job and shove it, I have done it soooooooooo many times in my life.

Maybe.

Say that last bit out loud in your office, or you are chicken shit.

It's Republicans wanting to make us more like China.

Anything to cut worker's pay.

As long as the employee can cash in his or her PTO at ANY time they wish, and that right is guaranteed in the law, then maybe it's not a bad idea. But if employers are able to deny PTO for days requested for staffing reasons for example, then it sounds like more of a win for the employer. They get to save money by paying no overtime, and get to basically dictate to the employee when they can use the PTO.

You?

(1) Any company can use this option already.

(2) As long as it remains the worker's choice not the business.

(3) The time off is not used to deliberately end a worker's overtime in any given week unless the worker agrees.

I don't believe comp time is legal in the private sector:

"Compensatory time off (comp time) is paid time off the job that is earned and accrued by an employee instead of immediate cash payment for working overtime hours. The use of comp time instead of overtime is limited by Section 7(o) of the FLSA to a public agency that is a state, a political subdivision of a state, or an interstate governmental agency."

elaws - FLSA Overtime Calculator Advisor

>>>>

Forum List

Back