Proposed Smoking Ban For Military

Let me guess why you think that. Because you think the government owns you once you join and your body belongs to them. Am I warm?
Not even close.

Besides being unhealthy and diminishing a persons lung capacity.

In a combat zone it poses a danger to all of the other soldiers.

At night the glowing end of a cigarette can be seen for a long, long way.

Thus exposing your position.

Secondly, the smell of cigarettes linger for a long time and carries very far.

Which also can make the enemy aware of your presence and expose your position.

You fuckin' idiot. Do you think the boys smoke when they are on a mission that requires their position not to be known?
Seriously, you can't be that fuckin' stupid, can you?

You think they don't? Who is the bigger idiot? The one that notes a problem or the one that claims addicts can refrain from using their preferred drug because of a mission assignment?

They won't ban smoking, though I would not cry if they did.

Yeah... here ya go G.I., git yur ass out there and get shot at, bombed, tear gassed, land mined, car bombed, ambushed, IED'd, or any multitude of other ways we're going to put you in the way of getting your ass offed, but hey, PUT THAT CIGARETTE OUT!

My God... this is just MORE LIBERAL, FEEL GOOD, INSANITY! Sheeezuz Christ, sometimes I hear shit like this that makes me sit and shake my head in absolute disbelief. How utterly, absolutely and thoroughly RETARDED this shit is. Fuck... I'm going to find me a liberal to slap just for reading this lunacy.

I've been in the Army for years now and I wouldn't lose any sleep over this crap. Just some more BS that is almost funny except some people actually believe it. How could you force the military to stop smoking when it isn't a law that is in place for all Americans? The most laughable supporter I read was the guy that said it should be banned because it puts out light and smell. Are you going to ban Soldiers from using optics on their weapens, grease in the guns, the use of vehicles, electric on their bases, and the list could go on all day?
In the war I participated in.

It wasn't a wide open desert like today, but many times a dark jungle canopy.

Were sounds and smells and light carried long distance.

You sould smell the fish head breath of a concealed gook.

And they could smell our troops unique odors. ie, mouth wash, laundry residue, insect repellent, etc.

I think they should ruin not only the smokers military careers, but make tobaacco a Class A Drug Crime so that we can then point to unemployed smokers living on the margins of society and say:

See? Just as we told you...all tobacco smokers are lazy and shiftless losers who don't want to work.

Works fairly well to limit hemp smoking, so why not give tobacco and tobacco smokers this same treatment, too?

Tomorrow's modest proposal.

How to Create Another Self-fulfilling Prophecy about How All Fat People are a Menace to Civil Society.

We aren't talking about maggot riddled meat.
Try and keep up.

so you want restaurant owners to be able to pick and choose which health codes to follow? smoking in a restaurant as well as a restaurant serving rancid meat are both health code issues.

I said nothing of the sort, but you did say that regular citizens should have their smoking rights abridged, but military personal shouldn't.
You are a hypocrite.

is english your first language?

I have lived to see the day that sunni and i agree on something.

While deeply conservative, and generally contemptuous of nanny-state policies, smoking should have been made illegal, like 100 years ago.

Name one other product that operates like a cigarette, namely that injures and kills that is still sold legally in the US, even when used in its basic function? There aren't any.

The only thing that has kept tobacco from being made illegal is the massive tobacco lobby and its legal spending. If you live in a big city, there is nothing more irritating than passing one asshole smoker after another standing outside an office building, blowing smoke in your face as you enter/leave, or even better - in your kid's face. I have nearly assaulted more than one, but stepped back knowing it would have gotten physical, and as I am trained to kill quickly, would not have led to a sympathetic jury... :eek:

Anyway, the military should have banned it long ago, as the sgt above me pointed out that smokers can and will light up when they shouldn't - I should know, as I used it to my advantage many times... ;)

Obviously you have never been in a combat zone.

Smokers HAVE to smoke.

They will risk their lives for a cigarette.

Obviously, you haven't either. IF you have, you're one of the weak-assed willed people that doesn't have any business being there who are a detriment to everyone around them. How about you just sit down, shut the fuck up, and mind your own damned business?

WTF...

While deeply conservative, and generally contemptuous of nanny-state policies, smoking should have been made illegal, like 100 years ago.

Name one other product that operates like a cigarette, namely that injures and kills that is still sold legally in the US, even when used in its basic function? There aren't any.

The only thing that has kept tobacco from being made illegal is the massive tobacco lobby and its legal spending. If you live in a big city, there is nothing more irritating than passing one asshole smoker after another standing outside an office building, blowing smoke in your face as you enter/leave, or even better - in your kid's face. I have nearly assaulted more than one, but stepped back knowing it would have gotten physical, and as I am trained to kill quickly, would not have led to a sympathetic jury... :eek:

Anyway, the military should have banned it long ago, as the sgt above me pointed out that smokers can and will light up when they shouldn't - I should know, as I used it to my advantage many times... ;)
You are incorrect.
The thing that has kept it legal is that the politicians don't want to give up all the tax revenue they get from it.

This is stupid. Just about as stupid as not allowing prisoners to smoke, even outside during designated breaks anymore.

I was a smoker for 40+ years, and quit only because of the cost. And I can tell ya, if somebody wants a smoke bad enough, [she'll] find a way to SMOKE. It's really a sad thing that nicotine is so addictive like that, but once it grabs hold, it rules.

As for the cost factor, I wonder where the tax windfall on cigarettes will come from once the revenue is gone because everyone has quit?

Lets tax water.
The Tax Foundation - Chicago Passes Bottled Water Tax

Wait long enough and they will, especially where water is becoming scarce.

Not even close.

Besides being unhealthy and diminishing a persons lung capacity.

In a combat zone it poses a danger to all of the other soldiers.

At night the glowing end of a cigarette can be seen for a long, long way.

Thus exposing your position.

Secondly, the smell of cigarettes linger for a long time and carries very far.

Which also can make the enemy aware of your presence and expose your position.

You fuckin' idiot. Do you think the boys smoke when they are on a mission that requires their position not to be known?
Seriously, you can't be that fuckin' stupid, can you?

You think they don't? Who is the bigger idiot? The one that notes a problem or the one that claims addicts can refrain from using their preferred drug because of a mission assignment?

They won't ban smoking, though I would not cry if they did.

We'll have to disagree then because it was my experience that you'd take a beating for jeopardizing others like that. I was a smoker and it never crossed my mind, and never saw anyone else. Remember we are talking about when concealing your position with lives on the line.

This is stupid. Just about as stupid as not allowing prisoners to smoke, even outside during designated breaks anymore.

I was a smoker for 40+ years, and quit only because of the cost. And I can tell ya, if somebody wants a smoke bad enough, [she'll] find a way to SMOKE. It's really a sad thing that nicotine is so addictive like that, but once it grabs hold, it rules.

As for the cost factor, I wonder where the tax windfall on cigarettes will come from once the revenue is gone because everyone has quit?

Lets tax water.
The Tax Foundation - Chicago Passes Bottled Water Tax

Wait long enough and they will, especially where water is becoming scarce.

They already do tax water. In fact, here where I live they tax us for rain. They call it an "impervious storm water" tax. They measure how much of your property is impervious to absorb rain and tax you for it. Of course, when we were in a drought the past few years the tax didn't go down.

Yeah... here ya go G.I., git yur ass out there and get shot at, bombed, tear gassed, land mined, car bombed, ambushed, IED'd, or any multitude of other ways we're going to put you in the way of getting your ass offed, but hey, PUT THAT CIGARETTE OUT!

My God... this is just MORE LIBERAL, FEEL GOOD, INSANITY! Sheeezuz Christ, sometimes I hear shit like this that makes me sit and shake my head in absolute disbelief. How utterly, absolutely and thoroughly RETARDED this shit is. Fuck... I'm going to find me a liberal to slap just for reading this lunacy.

What makes you think this is "liberal" insanity? It comes from Pentagon health officials, mostly ex-military men and women themselves. Not everything baaaaaad is something the evil liberals are responsible for, you fool.

Soldiers have just as much a right to be protected from second hand smoke as any other employee.
Smoking is banned in the White House, the US Senate and and all other government offices. It should be banned on military bases as well.
It's an absolutely pointless activity. It serves no useful purpose. As a tax payer I do not want my tax money going to pay for cleaning up after smokers and paying for the extra sick time they take as a result of their nasty habit.

All military bases have designated smoking areas that have to be a minimum of 50 feet from building entrances. Smoking is not allowed inside an facilities, not even the bars at the enlisted or officers club. Innocent soldiers do not come in contact with second hand smoke unless they choose to.

As far as "sick time", after years in the military I can guarantee you that I have seen far more lost time due to hangovers than from smoking. Should alcohol be banned as well?

And that goes for civilian workplaces also. :lol:

I'm sure the stats will prove that there is more chance of dying from smoking related disease's than combat or come to that any other disease. The whole purpose of the smoking ban is to prevent suing one company or another it has nothing to do with health or anything else.
The kids in the combat zones are not subject to dying from tobacco related diseases because of their young age, but they are most certainly subjected to dying from combat related happenings like getting shot. You left wing idiots slay me with your unrealistic reasoning.

Please don't include ALL "left-wingers." I happen to agree wholeheartedly with you. For God's sake, all anyone has to do is watch a few old war movies from the 40's and know that at a time when EVERYbody smoked, in battle scenes where the enemy was near, the order was "no smoking, no talking, no moving until I give the order..."

While cigarette smoke may greatly annoy you, even outside, and while many smokers continue to choose to put poison into their systems, I have never once believed that second-hand smoke is as dangerous as "scientists" have only recently determined.

I was raised in a military family, five of us lived in close quarters on base housing, both my parents and all their friends smoked smoked and smoked some more 24/7, and the women all raised healthy babies not "pre-addicted" or having any other health problems because our mothers smoked all during pregnancy. When the 3 of us became teenagers, we added to the home smoke environment, which mean five grownups smoking up a storm in a home no bigger than a trailer (just more square).

Until about 20 years ago, people even smoked in hospital rooms while waiting for surgery!! Yet hospital-contracted viruses and even deaths have been rising frighteningly due to other causes. Go figure. We smoked in supermarkets, on airplanes, at our desks, in elevators. If second-hand cigarettes were such a major cause of public illness, then our entire population would have been greatly diminished by now as a result.

One last thing: How often do you hear about violent criminals currently incarcerated having arrived at that point due to smoking abuse as opposed to alcohol abuse, both of which remain perfectly legal to purchase?

WASHINGTON — Pentagon health experts are urging Defense Secretary Robert Gates to ban the use of tobacco by troops and end its sale on military property, a change that could dramatically alter a culture intertwined with smoking.

Pentagon spokeswoman Cynthia Smith said the department supports a smoke-free military "and believes it is achievable." She declined to elaborate on any possible ban.

full article here:
Ban on tobacco urged in military - USATODAY.com

They have to be kidding right? Men and women, everyday are fighting for our country, our safety and our freedom and some whackjobs think that smoking is so seriously damaging to our soldiers health that is should be banned? Screw them, anti smoking whackos. Gun fire, car bombs, and terrorists are way more detrimental to our soldiers health than some little fucking cigarette or tobacco chew. This anti smoking cause is getting to be way out of hand.

Makes total sense to me...the military has to stay in top shape...if you want to be a smoker, don't join the military. Quite simple.
They kick you out for drugs and alcoholism and if you don't keep a decent body weight...this is simply logical.

And karma, considering that the military in WWI and WWII is partly to blame for America becoming addicted to cigarettes in the first place.

Makes total sense to me...the military has to stay in top shape...if you want to be a smoker, don't join the military. Quite simple.
They kick you out for drugs and alcoholism and if you don't keep a decent body weight...this is simply logical.

And karma, considering that the military in WWI and WWII is partly to blame for America becoming addicted to cigarettes in the first place.

When I was in the military, I smoked 2 packs a day of Marlboro reds. I still ran the 2 mile PT test in under 12 minutes.

Forum List

Back