Proposed Smoking Ban For Military

G.G

Mar 13, 2009
WASHINGTON — Pentagon health experts are urging Defense Secretary Robert Gates to ban the use of tobacco by troops and end its sale on military property, a change that could dramatically alter a culture intertwined with smoking.

Pentagon spokeswoman Cynthia Smith said the department supports a smoke-free military "and believes it is achievable." She declined to elaborate on any possible ban.

full article here:
Ban on tobacco urged in military - USATODAY.com

They have to be kidding right? Men and women, everyday are fighting for our country, our safety and our freedom and some whackjobs think that smoking is so seriously damaging to our soldiers health that is should be banned? Screw them, anti smoking whackos. Gun fire, car bombs, and terrorists are way more detrimental to our soldiers health than some little fucking cigarette or tobacco chew. This anti smoking cause is getting to be way out of hand.

All active military personal should be banned from smoking. Period

Let me guess why you think that. Because you think the government owns you once you join and your body belongs to them. Am I warm?

Let me guess why you think that. Because you think the government owns you once you join and your body belongs to them. Am I warm?
Not even close.

Besides being unhealthy and diminishing a persons lung capacity.

In a combat zone it poses a danger to all of the other soldiers.

At night the glowing end of a cigarette can be seen for a long, long way.

Thus exposing your position.

Secondly, the smell of cigarettes linger for a long time and carries very far.

Which also can make the enemy aware of your presence and expose your position.

Last edited:

Not even close.

You fuckin' idiot. Do you think the boys smoke when they are on a mission that requires their position not to be known?
Seriously, you can't be that fuckin' stupid, can you?

What will this do to troop levels? Smoking is a powerful addiction and I gurantee that smokers will not enlist. I heard this morning that 36 percent of marines smoke.My goodness This is not a health issue This is a national security issue. Let them smoke and let the 18 year olds have a fucking beer. We owe them!

What will this do to troop levels? Smoking is a powerful addiction and I gurantee that smokers will not enlist. I heard this morning that 36 percent of marines smoke.My goodness This is not a health issue This is a national security issue. Let them smoke and let the 18 year olds have a fucking beer. We owe them!
How do we owe them?

They get paid just like any other job.

WASHINGTON — Pentagon health experts are urging Defense Secretary Robert Gates to ban the use of tobacco by troops and end its sale on military property, a change that could dramatically alter a culture intertwined with smoking.

Pentagon spokeswoman Cynthia Smith said the department supports a smoke-free military "and believes it is achievable." She declined to elaborate on any possible ban.

full article here:
Ban on tobacco urged in military - USATODAY.com

They have to be kidding right? Men and women, everyday are fighting for our country, our safety and our freedom and some whackjobs think that smoking is so seriously damaging to our soldiers health that is should be banned? Screw them, anti smoking whackos. Gun fire, car bombs, and terrorists are way more detrimental to our soldiers health than some little fucking cigarette or tobacco chew. This anti smoking cause is getting to be way out of hand.

Maybe the government should just tax tobacco.

i dont smoke, i cant stand smoke, and i support the smoking bans that have been put in place throughout parts of the country that ban smoking in restaurants but this goes too far, service people are adults and if they want to smoke they should be alllowed to.

i dont smoke, i cant stand smoke, and i support the smoking bans that have been put in place throughout parts of the country that ban smoking in restaurants but this goes too far, service people are adults and if they want to smoke they should be alllowed to.

But people that own restaurants aren't adults, therefore the government should tell them what to do with their property.
Nice logic.
Not.

How do we owe them?

Not enough in my opinion. And it's not just "any other job". They sacrifice THEIR FUCKING LIVES for our freedom. Shame on you.

How do we owe them?

Not enough in my opinion. And it's not just "any other job". They sacrifice THEIR FUCKING LIVES for our freedom. Shame on you.
Shame on me for what?

In the last 60 years.

We have fought 3 major wars; Korean War, Vietnam War, and Iraq War.

Question;

What American freedom did we protect by our participation in the Korean War?

Same with Vietnam.

How did the deaths of 58,000 Americans in Vietnam make us more Free?

Again, how does American soldiers dying in Iraq, have anything to do with our Freedom??

Not even close.

So then you're ok with copenhagen or skoal.

This is stupid. Just about as stupid as not allowing prisoners to smoke, even outside during designated breaks anymore.

I was a smoker for 40+ years, and quit only because of the cost. And I can tell ya, if somebody wants a smoke bad enough, [she'll] find a way to SMOKE. It's really a sad thing that nicotine is so addictive like that, but once it grabs hold, it rules.

As for the cost factor, I wonder where the tax windfall on cigarettes will come from once the revenue is gone because everyone has quit?

This is stupid. Just about as stupid as not allowing prisoners to smoke, even outside during designated breaks anymore.

I was a smoker for 40+ years, and quit only because of the cost. And I can tell ya, if somebody wants a smoke bad enough, [she'll] find a way to SMOKE. It's really a sad thing that nicotine is so addictive like that, but once it grabs hold, it rules.

As for the cost factor, I wonder where the tax windfall on cigarettes will come from once the revenue is gone because everyone has quit?

Lets tax water.
The Tax Foundation - Chicago Passes Bottled Water Tax

Good question. That falls in with states losing money on gas taxes because of fuel efficient vehicles, so they put trackers in your car to tax you per mile you drive.

Forum List

Back