Prop 8 in California

Vintij, I know those arguments are all logical fallacies. I'm just trying trying to see if I'm missing any other anti-gay marriage arguments. I'm just trying to bring myself back into the middle and see if I can see both sides. Right now, I can't. And I feel like I'm missing something from the pro-traditional marriage side.

My bad I thought you were making an anti-gay statement. Other than those arguments, there really is just the whole biblical argument about adam and eve.......This was actually a serious argument for conservative voters, something along the lines of "the bible says adam and eve not adam and steve" real strong argument there right? Other than that, the other argument was that if you allow gays to get married, you will soon allow humans and dogs to get married or humans and inanimate objects to get married. These were all serious arguments to these people.

So what are the arguments against gay marriages? Someone help me out here, cause I have a hard time coping with this. Doesn't matter if you are for/against gay marriage. I just want to try to understand the reasoning.

Here are the ones I know:
Marriage is traditional between a man and woman. Strong families are fundamental to society. Gay marriage will harm society.
Married gay couples can adopt and that's not the best environment for a child.
Children will be taught about gay marriage in schools.

What other arguments are there?
Here is why the reasoning behind it ruining strong families and all that crap is crap. This is from 97' I think but I am sure it all about the same.

Infidelity Statistics

All you Obot whiners do realize that the black Obama supporters put the KABASH on this proposition,not conservatives...yes? Just checking, because it was actually YOUR own party that screwed the gay community (so to speak) :cuckoo:

Ah... the party of the open minded strikes again...

All you Obot whiners do realize that the black Obama supporters put the KABASH on this proposition,not conservatives...yes? Just checking, because it was actually YOUR own party that screwed the gay community (so to speak) :cuckoo:

It was conservative catholics. California is highly diversified in ethnicity and party but it was not Democrats who passed this legislation, it was conservatives of both partys here in california. There are many catholics here, and many many christians.

Do you make this up as you go? A minor amount of Obama supporters put the kash on this prop, I could safely say the majority voted against it. It is probably the same people who voted for Arnold even though Cali is a liberal state. And do you really want to talk about which party support gays more?

My bad I thought you were making an anti-gay statement. Other than those arguments, there really is just the whole biblical argument about adam and eve.......This was actually a serious argument for conservative voters, something along the lines of "the bible says adam and eve not adam and steve" real strong argument there right? Other than that, the other argument was that if you allow gays to get married, you will soon allow humans and dogs to get married or humans and inanimate objects to get married. These were all serious arguments to these people.
Do you think they will allow gay marriage for dogs also?

Do you make this up as you go? A minor amount of Obama supporters put the kash on this prop, I could safely say the majority voted against it. It is probably the same people who voted for Arnold even though Cali is a liberal state. And do you really want to talk about which party support gays more?
uh, Arnold is a liberal also

Really last time I checked he supported Mccain and made a speech at a McCain rally a few day before the election. His wife is a liberal!
so, how does that make him anything more than a republican
you DO understand that conservatie/liberal doesnt always mean republican/democrat
right?

so, how does that make him anything more than a republican
you DO understand that conservatie/liberal doesnt always mean republican/democrat
right?
yeah, I would say he is a moderate and my point is there were conservative democrats who voted the guy in! I am to tired to spell it out!

Last edited:
Source: Barack Obama may have helped California Proposition 8 gay marriage ban pass - Telegraph

Around 70 percent of the African-American voters who overwhelmingly backed Mr Obama also approved Proposition 8, helping pass the controversial ballot measure despite a small majority of whites voting against the ban on same-sex unions. Hispanic and Asian voters were split on the issue...

Although the president-elect opposed the gay marriage ban, it appears his supporters may have helped pass the measure that was vociferously opposed by many white Democrats...

Amendments to ban gay marriage were also approved in Arizona and Florida, and Arkansas voters approved a measure banning unmarried couples from serving as adoptive or foster parents

But gay rights campaigners, who spend tens of millions of dollars fighting to oppose Proposition 8, have vowed not to admit to defeat. A petition to dismiss the measure on the grounds that decision of such importance should be taken by state legislatures rather than voters has already been filed to the Supreme Court.

70% of the black Obama supporters put this prop in the trash can. You do realize that there aren't enough conservatives in California to pass much of anything,right. Keep your widdle head in the sand if it makes you feel better and blame everything on the eviiiillll republicans, but Cali is a LIBERAL state....remember...your side always brags about this fact....that is,until you dopes do something stupid and then its someone elses fault...per usual.

So the lesson is if you don't like the result of Democracy, find an undemocratic board to overturn the result of democracy and overturn it.

** typical lefty response -- the ends justify the means. **

Forum List

Back