Prop 8 in California

This may force Obama to pass a federal law allowing gay marriage.... will be interesting. Not his highest priority, but certainly we should allow equal rights for ALL Americans.

I believe Arizona passed a Gay Marriage Ban.

I know Arkansas passed a ban on Gay Adoption.

Church should play no role in state.

This may force Obama to pass a federal law allowing gay marriage.... will be interesting. Not his highest priority, but certainly we should allow equal rights for ALL Americans.

Which is precisely what he should NOT do. It is not the job of the President to decide state issues. It's bad enough Roe v. Wade will be allowed to stand.

Is this thing really going to pass?

California propositions county-by-county map, margin of victory - Los Angeles Times

As I write this, it's 53.2% - 46.8% yes.

I understand the majority of counties counted first were Conservative though.

It is very likely to pass, and it wouldn't be the first time. The big difference between then and now: this Prop rewrites the state constitution. Considering the high number of Hispanic voters in California, it doesn't surprise me. Remember, they are mostly traditional Catholics.

You may want to check that. Last time I looked, O was opposed to gay marriage.

I know Arkansas passed a ban on Gay Adoption.

Wrong. Arkansas passed a ban on allowing a person who is living with an unwed partner to adopt. It is not limited to gays, and the fact it is being portrayed as such shows the liberal media bias.

Where in the world is Obama's Constitutional authority to do that?

I wondered how this issue was doing in CA... This is kind of an 'old school' holdover of the conservative movement.

It will be interesting to see if the republicans will be willing to trade tolerance regarding alternative lifestyles for the power that comes from moderate voters in the coming years.

-Joe

Which is precisely what he should NOT do. It is not the job of the President to decide state issues. It's bad enough Roe v. Wade will be allowed to stand.

That depends on your interpretation of states rights. Should a minority of people be given less freedom because a majority thinks it's immoral? Abortion is one thing, but gay marriage? Who does that hurt? It's such a silly argument. You don't like gay marriage? Ok, fine. Don't be gay and don't get married! :D

It is very likely to pass, and it wouldn't be the first time. The big difference between then and now: this Prop rewrites the state constitution. Considering the high number of Hispanic voters in California, it doesn't surprise me. Remember, they are mostly traditional Catholics.

You may want to check that. Last time I looked, O was opposed to gay marriage.

That's very true what you said hjmick.

And I'm unsure if Obama is truly against Gay Marriage or just against it because he knows supporting it outright would be a death bell to any campaign.

Wrong. Arkansas passed a ban on allowing a person who is living with an unwed partner to adopt. It is not limited to gays, and the fact it is being portrayed as such shows the liberal media bias.

Oh bullshit. That is the law but it was passed so Gays would be unable to adopt.

No Gay Marriage in Arkansas so Gays would be automatically barred from adopting.

We both know this J. Stop bullshitting me. Your smarter then that.

there's already a federal law on this

The Defense of Marriage Act, or DOMA, is the short title of a federal law of the United States passed on September 21, 1996 as Public Law No. 104-199, 110 Stat. 2419. Its provisions are codified at 1 U.S.C. § 7 and 28 U.S.C. § 1738C. The law has two effects:

No state (or other political subdivision within the United States) need treat a relationship between persons of the same sex as a marriage, even if the relationship is considered a marriage in another state.
The Federal Government may not treat same-sex relationships as marriages for any purpose, even if concluded or recognized by one of the states. The bill was passed by Congress by a vote of 85-14 in the Senate[1] and a vote of 342-67 in the House of Representatives[2], and was signed into law by President Bill Clinton on September 21, 1996.

Defense of Marriage Act - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

don't blame me, i'm from massachusetts

That depends on your interpretation of states rights. Should a minority of people be given less freedom because a majority thinks it's immoral? Abortion is one thing, but gay marriage? Who does that hurt? It's such a silly argument. You don't like gay marriage? Ok, fine. Don't be gay and don't get married! :D

Therein lies YOUR problem. I have no problem with gay marriage. Marriage is a contract between two people. Nothing else. Straight couples have made a mockery of marriage on their own. I don't see how gay couples could tarnish its name anymore than it already is.

But it is not the job of the President, the Supreme Court, nor Congress to decide what states can and cannot issue such contracts.

I wondered how this issue was doing in CA... This is kind of an 'old school' holdover of the conservative movement.

It will be interesting to see if the republicans will be willing to trade tolerance regarding alternative lifestyles for the power that comes from moderate voters in the coming years.

-Joe

I find it amazing that so many people care more about the issue of Gay Marriage and they aren't even gay. They just don't want gays to get married.

Something like $73 million was spent on this prop in ads,etc. It boggles the mind.

Imagine how much that could go towards poverty.

And I'm unsure if Obama is truly against Gay Marriage or just against it because he knows supporting it outright would be a death bell to any campaign.

That's entirely possible. He wouldn't be the first politician to say whatever he needed to in order to get elected. Just one of many.

Damn I hate the two party system.

I don't think President Obama will spend time or political capital on this issue... He has MUCH bigger fish to fry the next 4 years. Social issues are best left up to the states anyway.

-Joe

Oh bullshit. That is the law but it was passed so Gays would be unable to adopt.

No Gay Marriage in Arkansas so Gays would be automatically barred from adopting.

We both know this J. Stop bullshitting me. Your smarter then that.

Yes, its purpose is to prevent gays from adopting, but it also prevents unmarried straight couples from adopting. It's not a ban on gay adoption. Period.

Therein lies YOUR problem. I have no problem with gay marriage. Marriage is a contract between two people. Nothing else. Straight couples have made a mockery of marriage on their own. I don't see how gay couples could tarnish its name anymore than it already is.

But it is not the job of the President, the Supreme Court, nor Congress to decide what states can and cannot issue such contracts.

The divorce rate hovers around at least 38% and up to 50%.

So I agree with you when you say Straight couples have made quite the mockery of marriage on their own.

Yes, its purpose is to prevent gays from adopting, but it also prevents unmarried straight couples from adopting. It's not a ban on gay adoption. Period.

Alright, it's a ban on unmarried couples from adopting but it's purpose is to prevent Gays from adopting.

That better? :eusa_whistle:

Forum List

Back