Progressives view Obama as conservative

Quantum Windbag

Gold Member
May 9, 2010
Damn, a lot of this sounds just like what I keep saying, Obama is really Bush.

There’s a reason Obama reelect doesn’t have a slogan.

All they’ve got is a question: Are you in?

Symbolic of this problem is what happened to Elizabeth Warren when her rise was met by Tim Geithner’s foot, and why Ron Suskind’s book Confidence Men made the Administration queasy. It’s seen in Wall Street firms earning more in Pres. Obama’s first years than in both terms of George W. Bush.

Then there’s Obama’s foreign policy, the issue that weighs most for me, which picked up where Bush left off. Pres. Obama and his “serious reservations” didn’t keep him from signing the NDAA, something any conservative Republican president would sign. Indefinite military detention without trial is now the policy of the Obama administration, which is something Mitt Romney would also do. There is no habeas corpus at Bagram Air Base in Afghanistan. What is called “targeted killing” has actually increased under Pres. Obama, something Glenn Greenwald writes about regularly. As for “secret prisons,” it’s not quite as a bad as Bush, because now people are held for a “short-term, transitory” basis. But Pres. Obama’s surveillance program is identical to his predecessor. Candidate Obama was against the Iraq war, but he had no trouble bombing Libya without congressional oversight or approval, even though it was not of strategic interest to the U.S. or a clear and present danger. We’ve supposedly gotten out of Iraq, but there is a 104 acre embassy, the biggest on planet earth, with support and logistics to match.

It’s also why Pres. Obama showing up in Osawatamie, Kansas to use the Occupy message didn’t fool smarter folks, because if his leadership matched the words he spoke Robert Reich wouldn’t be floating hail Mary posts about switching Biden with Hillary.

What happened with Plan B, however, reveals something else.

As a recovering partisan these days and after watching Pres. Obama’s compromising conservatism, I no longer feel the urgency to support a political party who has threatened dire consequences if I don’t vote for them. Beyond foreign policy, economic, and civil rights issues mentioned above, Pres. Obama has also chosen to short-change women again and again on our freedoms, starting in the health care bill, then by executive order that empowered conservatives of both parties, and finally by making the decision on Plan B that would have come from Mitt Romney, too.

The Party’s Over | TaylorMarsh.com

The disgruntled Left wants to claim Obama is really Bush. He is anything but. His failed Afghan strategy, his failed Middle East strategy, his failed North Korean strategy, his failed strategy with regard to the Arab revolt, his failed Russian strategy etc is nothing like Bush's.
But the good part is the same people who turned out in droves to vote for Obama, college students, blacks, the hard Left, will all sit home on election day.

Amelia, the far left and the far right won't claim Obama.

The rest of America is waiting, yet again, for him to convince them he is the guy.

It's the "rest of America" that you have to be worried about.

Symbolic of this problem is what happened to Elizabeth Warren when her rise was met by Tim Geithner’s foot, and why Ron Suskind’s book Confidence Men made the Administration queasy. It’s seen in Wall Street firms earning more in Pres. Obama’s first years than in both terms of George W. Bush.

Then there’s Obama’s foreign policy, the issue that weighs most for me, which picked up where Bush left off. Pres. Obama and his “serious reservations” didn’t keep him from signing the NDAA, something any conservative Republican president would sign. Indefinite military detention without trial is now the policy of the Obama administration, which is something Mitt Romney would also do. There is no habeas corpus at Bagram Air Base in Afghanistan. What is called “targeted killing” has actually increased under Pres. Obama, something Glenn Greenwald writes about regularly. As for “secret prisons,” it’s not quite as a bad as Bush, because now people are held for a “short-term, transitory” basis. But Pres. Obama’s surveillance program is identical to his predecessor. Candidate Obama was against the Iraq war, but he had no trouble bombing Libya without congressional oversight or approval, even though it was not of strategic interest to the U.S. or a clear and present danger. We’ve supposedly gotten out of Iraq, but there is a 104 acre embassy, the biggest on planet earth, with support and logistics to match.

It’s also why Pres. Obama showing up in Osawatamie, Kansas to use the Occupy message didn’t fool smarter folks, because if his leadership matched the words he spoke Robert Reich wouldn’t be floating hail Mary posts about switching Biden with Hillary.

As a recovering partisan these days and after watching Pres. Obama’s compromising conservatism, I no longer feel the urgency to support a political party who has threatened dire consequences if I don’t vote for them. Beyond foreign policy, economic, and civil rights issues mentioned above, Pres. Obama has also chosen to short-change women again and again on our freedoms, starting in the health care bill, then by executive order that empowered conservatives of both parties, and finally by making the decision on Plan B that would have come from Mitt Romney, too.

It's no mystery that Obama has tried to be very diplomatic with Republicans. I respect the approach, but it has been costly. It is the reason why a budget plan could not be put into place for his first two years. The democrats wouldn't work with him.

To me, this is Obama's only problem as president. Bush had the right attitude as president. If he wins in 2012, then I am willing to bet he will adopt it.

Your right in the comparison, but wrong in your conclusion.

The Big 0 is like W, but that does NOT make the Big 0 a Conservative. It only demonstrates that that W was a Liberal.

Both run deficit spending, both advocate Big Government Solutions, Both centralize power, both work to weaken the Republic aspects of the government and both, as far as it s within their power to do so, try to work outside of the Constitutional limitations on the Executive Branch.

McCain lost conclusively because the American people opposed W's policies and tactics. By electing the Big 0, they only doubled the negatives they thought they were eliminating. There is absolutely no surprise that the Big 0 continues W's policies since they are both of the same political ideology.

As a group of voters, we get what we get because we can't see past the labels applied and sold by the media.

Obama is no bush. If he enters an Iraq war for WMD situation, then you may have a point.

Again, Obama is no Bush. There is no Cheney or Rove on his staff and we did not kill 4 thousand Americans on his watch in a war based on a lie.

Thanks.

It's no mystery that Obama has tried to be very diplomatic with Republicans. I respect the approach, but it has been costly. It is the reason why a budget plan could not be put into place for his first two years. The democrats wouldn't work with him.

To me, this is Obama's only problem as president. Bush had the right attitude as president. If he wins in 2012, then I am willing to bet he will adopt it.

What's a "mystery" to me, Billy...is how anyone could have watched the way Barack Obama handled his first three years in office and come to the conclusion that he tried to be "diplomatic" with the GOP. Let me refresh your memory. Shortly after taking office, Obama had his famous summit with Republican leaders during which he lectured them about elections having consequences and that he had won the election...after which he completely ignored their proposals and let Nancy Pelosi and Harry Reid cook up ObamaCare and the Stimulus behind locked doors with the Republicans standing out in the hall with their collective hats in their collective hands.

He followed that "diplomacy" up with repeatedly blaming Republicans for the failure to pass legislation he wanted...when in fact the people who wouldn't go along with his progressive agenda were his fellow Democrats...the Blue Dog Democrats that were moderates from normally conservative States that had gotten elected in the Democratic landslide in 2008.

The fact is...when Barack Obama had huge majorities in both the House and the Senate he treated the opposition with contempt...basically ignoring the GOP's concerns. He was well within his rights to do so of course because he DID come into office with a mandate from the voters to change things. The problem with your revision of recent history is this...it was Obama's POLICIES that lost him that mandate from the electorate and his huge majorities in the House and Senate during the mid-terms. If those policies had succeeded then we wouldn't be having this discussion because Obama would STILL be overseeing huge majorities. His policies didn't succeed and in order to try and make an excuse as to why that is...he's fallen back on the blame game. Before everything was W's fault. Now that people have made it clear they aren't buying that whole song and dance after three years, he's changed message slightly and started finger pointing at the House.

If you think his only problem is that telling Republicans that he won you are even more stupid than I thought.

Your right in the comparison, but wrong in your conclusion.

The Big 0 is like W, but that does NOT make the Big 0 a Conservative. It only demonstrates that that W was a Liberal.

Both run deficit spending, both advocate Big Government Solutions, Both centralize power, both work to weaken the Republic aspects of the government and both, as far as it s within their power to do so, try to work outside of the Constitutional limitations on the Executive Branch.

McCain lost conclusively because the American people opposed W's policies and tactics. By electing the Big 0, they only doubled the negatives they thought they were eliminating. There is absolutely no surprise that the Big 0 continues W's policies since they are both of the same political ideology.

As a group of voters, we get what we get because we can't see past the labels applied and sold by the media.

Excuse me? Where did I say Obama is a conservative?

you seem to miss the point. no surprises.... the point is that radical rightwingnuts who keep whining that the president is a socialistmuslimkenyancommunist don't know what they're talking about.

:thup:

I don't miss anything, but you sure miss a lot. My point is that anyone who defends Obama should also defend Bush, and anyone who attacks Obama should attack Bush. Since I attack both I am being consistent, since you attack one and not the other you are a hack.

It's not about Obama being too conservative. It's about "compromise".

One of the GOP's top strategist, Fran Luntz, warns the party of a bunch of words and phrases they should never say. One suggestion is, "Don’t ever say you’re willing to ‘compromise'."

Remember, the Democrats are a coalition party made up of blacks, browns, gays, straights, rich, poor, educated, uneducated, scientists, and so on. Several different religions. Compromise is how Democrats reach a consensus. They have to discuss and agree. It's the only way you can maintain the "coalition".

The Republicans don't compromise. They are 90% white and mostly Christian.

It's how Republicans could hold millions of Americans hostage to extend the Bush Tax cuts for the wealthy. This couldn't happen with the Democrats without a strong consensus.

It's not about Obama being too conservative. It's about "compromise".

One of the GOP's top strategist, Fran Luntz, warns the party of a bunch of words and phrases they should never say. One suggestion is, "Don’t ever say you’re willing to ‘compromise'."

Remember, the Democrats are a coalition party made up of blacks, browns, gays, straights, rich, poor, educated, uneducated, scientists, and so on. Several different religions. Compromise is how Democrats reach a consensus. They have to discuss and agree. It's the only way you can maintain the "coalition".

The Republicans don't compromise. They are 90% white and mostly Christian.

It's how Republicans could hold millions of Americans hostage to extend the Bush Tax cuts for the wealthy. This couldn't happen with the Democrats without a strong consensus.

Unfortunatly for you, Taylor Marsh, who is a lot smarter than you, pointed out how Obama backed down on Plan B even though there was no need to compromise since that was strictly an executive decision, and the science clearly showed that it is safe. Why did Obama break his promise to put science above politics?

She also took the time to point out how Obama's economic polices, which, again, were solely his, and had nothing to do with compromising with Republicans, have damaged the role of women in the economy. The massive dropout of workers in the economy was the direct result of more women not looking for work, which takes us back to the 1950s, something I am sure sends tingles up your leg.

On top of that, Obama went from campaign slogans "Hope and Change" and "Yes We Can" to "Republicans are Worse" in just 3 years. Feel free to keep saying the problem is Obama's desire to compromise on issues he is not opposed on, it makes me look really smart, and I like looking smart.

Forum List

Back