Progressives view Obama as conservative

Having no real choice between Democratic or Republican warmaking or economics is why so many progressives and Democrats are hailing Ron Paul, which has helped him rise in Iowa.

But come this November they’ll be voting for Obama.

The opinion piece’s author’s conflict and disappointment with regard to Obama is typical among many democrats and progressives; we saw the same on the right with regard to Bush and the GOP candidates today: ‘no one in my party represent me.’ And there were many liberals who expected of Obama noting more than to not be a republican.

The notion that this conflict and disappointment will somehow result in votes for Romney has no basis in fact, however; the policy of the lesser of two evils is still well in place.

However frustrating the ‘Plan B’ decision may have been for many liberals, for example, they know the greatest frustration would come as a result of a loss of privacy rights with regard to abortion, where that right is taken away by Supreme Court justices appointed by a republican president.

Having no real choice between Democratic or Republican warmaking or economics is why so many progressives and Democrats are hailing Ron Paul, which has helped him rise in Iowa.

In your dreams. They will be sitting on the sidelines.
The GOP will turn out in droves, understanding that this is a very important election and either Obama gets a second term or the US will survive as a nation. But not both.

The opinion piece’s author’s conflict and disappointment with regard to Obama is typical among many democrats and progressives; we saw the same on the right with regard to Bush and the GOP candidates today: ‘no one in my party represent me.’ And there were many liberals who expected of Obama noting more than to not be a republican.

The notion that this conflict and disappointment will somehow result in votes for Romney has no basis in fact, however; the policy of the lesser of two evils is still well in place.

However frustrating the ‘Plan B’ decision may have been for many liberals, for example, they know the greatest frustration would come as a result of a loss of privacy rights with regard to abortion, where that right is taken away by Supreme Court justices appointed by a republican president.

Did you read the part about how she would vote for Paul if he was running?

This election will be Obama v. Romney, which means the far left and the far right don't get to do anything except cast their 10 to 15% each of the total votes.

The election will be decided as always, by the Center.

This election will be Obama v. Romney, which means the far left and the far right don't get to do anything except cast their 10 to 15% each of the total votes.

The election will be decided as always, by the Center.

See, this is where you're wrong. The center is unrepresented, and not because the Democrats and Republicans are to left and right of it respectively. On economic issues, BOTH parties are to the right of the nation, because BOTH parties are dominated by their corporate campaign donors.

There are a few Democrats who are exceptions. President Obama is not one of them.

And that brings up another thing. No, it's not a case of Obama compromising too much with Republicans. How can we tell this? Because on many purely executive decisions, where Republicans had no input because we have only one President at a time, he has made choices reflecting a right-of-center position on foreign policy and economics. Only on social issues, e.g. DADT, has he shown himself to be center-left, and that's pretty typical of "New Democrats."

The OP is right. The left sees Obama as a conservative. Not compared to the Republican candidates overall, it's true, but compared to the government policies that the American people actually want. And as the linked article shows, on some issues Ron Paul is decidedly to Obama's left.

Dragon, I respectfully disagree with you. The Center will cast the vote, which will determine the election. I have no problem with Progressives believieng Obama is too conservative. By their standards, he certainly is conservative.

Amelia, the far left and the far right won't claim Obama.

The rest of America is waiting, yet again, for him to convince them he is the guy.

It's the "rest of America" that you have to be worried about.

LOL...how damn long is (the rest of America) going to give him? what three years hasn't been enough?
evidently it has with a majority of the (rest of America) who doesn't think he should be REELECTED.
dang how funny

Last edited:
Seems hardly anyone wants to claim Obama.

Claim what?

I voted for the guy..and will again.

He's been a pragmatic and process oriented President. It infuriates me sometimes..but insofar as mending the economy and killing real enemies..he's been doing a bang up job.

Damn, a lot of this sounds just like what I keep saying, Obama is really Bush.

There’s a reason Obama reelect doesn’t have a slogan.

All they’ve got is a question: Are you in?

Symbolic of this problem is what happened to Elizabeth Warren when her rise was met by Tim Geithner’s foot, and why Ron Suskind’s book Confidence Men made the Administration queasy. It’s seen in Wall Street firms earning more in Pres. Obama’s first years than in both terms of George W. Bush.

Then there’s Obama’s foreign policy, the issue that weighs most for me, which picked up where Bush left off. Pres. Obama and his “serious reservations” didn’t keep him from signing the NDAA, something any conservative Republican president would sign. Indefinite military detention without trial is now the policy of the Obama administration, which is something Mitt Romney would also do. There is no habeas corpus at Bagram Air Base in Afghanistan. What is called “targeted killing” has actually increased under Pres. Obama, something Glenn Greenwald writes about regularly. As for “secret prisons,” it’s not quite as a bad as Bush, because now people are held for a “short-term, transitory” basis. But Pres. Obama’s surveillance program is identical to his predecessor. Candidate Obama was against the Iraq war, but he had no trouble bombing Libya without congressional oversight or approval, even though it was not of strategic interest to the U.S. or a clear and present danger. We’ve supposedly gotten out of Iraq, but there is a 104 acre embassy, the biggest on planet earth, with support and logistics to match.

It’s also why Pres. Obama showing up in Osawatamie, Kansas to use the Occupy message didn’t fool smarter folks, because if his leadership matched the words he spoke Robert Reich wouldn’t be floating hail Mary posts about switching Biden with Hillary.

What happened with Plan B, however, reveals something else.

As a recovering partisan these days and after watching Pres. Obama’s compromising conservatism, I no longer feel the urgency to support a political party who has threatened dire consequences if I don’t vote for them. Beyond foreign policy, economic, and civil rights issues mentioned above, Pres. Obama has also chosen to short-change women again and again on our freedoms, starting in the health care bill, then by executive order that empowered conservatives of both parties, and finally by making the decision on Plan B that would have come from Mitt Romney, too.

The Party’s Over | TaylorMarsh.com

Obama is no bush. If he enters an Iraq war for WMD situation, then you may have a point.

Again, Obama is no Bush. There is no Cheney or Rove on his staff and we did not kill 4 thousand Americans on his watch in a war based on a lie.

Thanks.

How many countries do we have to attack under his leadership for him to continue to Bush warmonger policy?

Enhanced the warmongering in Afghanistan, stuck with Bush's slow pullout policy in Iraq, attacked Libya/Pakistan/Yemen/Somalia.

What else do you need? War with Iran?

Amelia, the far left and the far right won't claim Obama. The rest of America is waiting, yet again, for him to convince them he is the guy. It's the "rest of America" that you have to be worried about.
LOL...how damn long is (the rest of America) going to give him? what three years hasn't been enough? evidently it has with a majority of the (rest of America) who doesn't think he should be REELECTED. dang how funny

The "rest of America" elected him in 2008, and in comparison with the Republican candidates, including Romney whom you and I support, Obama is not doing badly.

I wish the rest of the far right yahoos would take the lesson their folks can't win, and would unite behind Romney.

How many countries do we have to attack under his leadership for him to continue to Bush warmonger policy?

Enhanced the warmongering in Afghanistan, stuck with Bush's slow pullout policy in Iraq, attacked Libya/Pakistan/Yemen/Somalia.

:lol:

"Attacked" Libya? Or helped get rid of a known terrorist running a country.

Pakistan? Yemen? Somalia? Sorry bud..but if a country is harboring people that mean to attack this country..and refuse to apprehend them..we really do have the right to defend ourselves.

Amelia, the far left and the far right won't claim Obama. The rest of America is waiting, yet again, for him to convince them he is the guy. It's the "rest of America" that you have to be worried about.
LOL...how damn long is (the rest of America) going to give him? what three years hasn't been enough? evidently it has with a majority of the (rest of America) who doesn't think he should be REELECTED. dang how funny

The "rest of America" elected him in 2008, and in comparison with the Republican candidates, including Romney whom you and I support, Obama is not doing badly.

I wish the rest of the far right yahoos would take the lesson their folks can't win, and would unite behind Romney.

About 25% of the american population voted for Obama, half of americans don't vote, of the other half most are partisans like yourself will vote for their party no matter what.

So there's a tiny pocket of voters who's vote is up for grabs that decide elections.

He'll win solely because he's the incumbent and the republicans don't have a rockstar type of personality to prop up, certainly not because of accomplishments.

Think of it this way, is there any group of americans who didn't vote for Obama in 2008 and will in 2012 because he won them over with his accomplishments?

:lol:

"Attacked" Libya? Or helped get rid of a known terrorist running a country.

Pakistan? Yemen? Somalia? Sorry bud..but if a country is harboring people that mean to attack this country..and refuse to apprehend them..we really do have the right to defend ourselves.

I'm glad you're such an outspoken supporter of the Bush policy, kill them all and let god sort them out. To hell with diplomacy, he was kidding around on the campaign trail.

Sorry jakey, you don't know who I support..you support Obama so stop pretending you don't.

Stephanie is wrong as usual. I support Romney, and the Stepher supports some far wack candidate. However, when push comes to shove, she will vote Romney.

Damn, a lot of this sounds just like what I keep saying, Obama is really Bush.

There’s a reason Obama reelect doesn’t have a slogan.

All they’ve got is a question: Are you in?

Symbolic of this problem is what happened to Elizabeth Warren when her rise was met by Tim Geithner’s foot, and why Ron Suskind’s book Confidence Men made the Administration queasy. It’s seen in Wall Street firms earning more in Pres. Obama’s first years than in both terms of George W. Bush.

Then there’s Obama’s foreign policy, the issue that weighs most for me, which picked up where Bush left off. Pres. Obama and his “serious reservations” didn’t keep him from signing the NDAA, something any conservative Republican president would sign. Indefinite military detention without trial is now the policy of the Obama administration, which is something Mitt Romney would also do. There is no habeas corpus at Bagram Air Base in Afghanistan. What is called “targeted killing” has actually increased under Pres. Obama, something Glenn Greenwald writes about regularly. As for “secret prisons,” it’s not quite as a bad as Bush, because now people are held for a “short-term, transitory” basis. But Pres. Obama’s surveillance program is identical to his predecessor. Candidate Obama was against the Iraq war, but he had no trouble bombing Libya without congressional oversight or approval, even though it was not of strategic interest to the U.S. or a clear and present danger. We’ve supposedly gotten out of Iraq, but there is a 104 acre embassy, the biggest on planet earth, with support and logistics to match.

It’s also why Pres. Obama showing up in Osawatamie, Kansas to use the Occupy message didn’t fool smarter folks, because if his leadership matched the words he spoke Robert Reich wouldn’t be floating hail Mary posts about switching Biden with Hillary.

What happened with Plan B, however, reveals something else.

As a recovering partisan these days and after watching Pres. Obama’s compromising conservatism, I no longer feel the urgency to support a political party who has threatened dire consequences if I don’t vote for them. Beyond foreign policy, economic, and civil rights issues mentioned above, Pres. Obama has also chosen to short-change women again and again on our freedoms, starting in the health care bill, then by executive order that empowered conservatives of both parties, and finally by making the decision on Plan B that would have come from Mitt Romney, too.

The Party’s Over | TaylorMarsh.com

I don't think they see him as a conservative. I think they see him as a pragmatic liberal.

Stephanie is wrong as usual. I support Romney, and the Stepher supports some far wack candidate. However, when push comes to shove, she will vote Romney.

lol, I do love your crystal ball. it seems to be working overtime these days.

Yeah but they also view Pol Pot,Mao,and Stalin as Conservative too. They're goofy Wingnuts.

Clearly the Far Left needs to run a Third Party Candidate against RockRibbed Conservative Obammy, the only question is, "who has the Progressive creds?"

Forum List

Back