Progressive Success Story: Detroit

The demise of Detroit is due to a myriad of problems and their is more then enough blame to go around. I mainly blame the city's linear economy for their present woes. Don't put all your eggs in one economic basket is the real lesson here. It was a lesson my city learned dearly when the steel industry collapsed but we diversified and have persevered as a result.
You must be in Pittsburgh.
Pittsburg is the anti-Detroit. Instead of blaming the rich and demonizing people they attracted new industries and played on their strengths. While Coleman Young was fathering the city mayors in Pittsburgh were trying to solve problems.

Indeed I am. It has been decades in the making and it seems we have finally turned the corner. We are one of the few Rust Belt success stories. Instead of blaming the rich, the unions, or any party, the citizens and it's leaders sat down devised a plan to make us stronger and more diverse economically. We still have some serious issues to tackle but overall we are headed in the right direction.

Development is booming so much here that it is being called the Second Pittsburgh Renaissance. My friends from high school/college that moved away are clamoring to return home. It is a very exciting time to be here.

If any of you folks are ever in the area shoot me a PM and I'll give you the scoop on the best museums, bars, restaurants, and attractions in the city. Cheers!

Last edited:
The collapse of Detroit had nothing to do with bad management or the crap the automakers were turning out in the '70s.

No, it was working people making too much.

Goddamn workers, they fuck up everything.

I'm going to alert the Mods that someone hacked your account and is posting things that make you look well, silly

Blaming workers for making too much. Now that's fucking silly.

Well paid workers is what made Detroit a world class city in the first place! In the 20's!

Before the Unions!

The collapse of Detroit had nothing to do with bad management or the crap the automakers were turning out in the '70s.

I'm going to alert the Mods that someone hacked your account and is posting things that make you look well, silly

Workers in Detroit made a wage on which they could live comfortably. They bought modest houses, sent their kids to school, had decent healthcare and retired comfortably. .......the American Dream

In the 80s and 90s they did not see a spike in their income. They did not become wealthy. They still lived in the same houses but had to fight for healthcare and to protect their retirement

And yet the right blames the workers

Workers in Detroit made a wage on which they could live comfortably. They bought modest houses, sent their kids to school, had decent healthcare and retired comfortably. .......the American Dream

In the 80s and 90s they did not see a spike in their income. They did not become wealthy. They still lived in the same houses but had to fight for healthcare and to protect their retirement

No we blame progressives and their communist unions

Sent from smartphone using my wits and Taptalk

I'll post it, digs at liberals and all:

"So while logic and historical evidence make plain that American-style liberalism wreaks enormous economic and personal hardship, for so many conservatives to reduce Detroit’s decline to a function of those failed policy ideas is a gross oversimplification of what actually occurred. And it ensures that little will be learned from Detroit’s collapse.

The sad truth in today’s world is that irrespective of political party affiliation, there’s a peculiar worship of manufacturing and the backbreaking jobs it allegedly creates. That worship has perpetuated a commercial concept that would have long ago disappeared whatever the quality of local governance. If so, as in if Detroit and Michigan had evolved with the economic times on the way to a reduced emphasis on the Big Three and the low-value, easily exportable jobs they create, the city and the state would likely be thriving today."

A Stationary Economy Not Liberal Politics Is What Killed Detroit - Forbes

Yes you do, and that's wrong of course but there's nothing surprising about that.

Unions fought to maintain the workers standard of living

It was the executives getting rich not the workers

Clearly you don't know dick about Detroit. It was doing great before the unions and progressives destroyed it

Workers in Detroit made a wage on which they could live comfortably. They bought modest houses, sent their kids to school, had decent healthcare and retired comfortably. .......the American Dre

Your comments have nothing to do with the decline of Detroit.

See my previous post for the truth.

You fanatical leftists are so terribly uninformed and propagandized.

I grew up in Detroit. It was a great city...so many decades ago.

It died due to a lot of things, but certainly the D party has much responsibility. The other causes were:

- forced busing (D party imposed),
- white flight (due to D party policies),
- HUD policies of selling a house for $1 (D party policy),
- the racial aspect,
- poor schools,
- poor policing,
- increase in crime,
- decline of the Big 3
- construction of expressways allowing people to leave the inner city for suburbs
In the 60's the line was that the expressways were for bringing in the artillery for the genocide of blacks.

Times don't change much do they; we still hear of black genocide, only now, it is called "freedom of choice".

Well paid workers is what made Detroit a world class city in the first place! In the 20's!

Before the Unions!
You mean back when the Mafia kept the streets safe?

Unless you crossed THEM.

Organized crime and violence is so superior to random crime and violence.

Clearly you don't know dick about Detroit. It was doing great before the unions and progressives destroyed it

Shirley you don't expect us to buy into your Union hate screed

Detroit was killed by uncaring capitalists who threw their workers under the bus

Before the Unions!

Agreed but it must be remembered that the unions initially did a great service for the blue collar worker. The unions provided worker safety and job security protections against arbitrary actions by management.

My great uncle worked for Chrysler before the union and he told horror stories of maltreatment by crazy foreman and plant managers. For example, during winter the bosses would shut down the line at the start of the shift, for no apparent reason other than to mess with the workers. They told all workers to go outside and wait for call back. After several hours in the cold, they would be recalled. Several guys had gone across the street to the bar and missed the call back. They were all fired.

Sadly unions are now merely an extension of the D party.

Detroit was never a progressive city

It was blue collar, beer and a lunchpail America

It was the capitalists that used up what was once a great city. When they found a cheaper alternative they dumped it and blamed the workers

You don't actually believe any of the crap you post, do you?

Detroit had strong unions in the 40s, 50s and 60s and still flourished
Somehow, sharing profits with your workers did not bring the city to its knees

In the 70s and beyond, Detroit built cheap cars that nobody wanted. Capitalists looked to turn quick profits by ignoring aging infrastructure and spitting out cookiecutter cars. They took the American consumer for granted and assumed they would always buy the cars they put out as long as they had flashy ornaments and pretty girls to sell them

Who paid the price for the blunders of the Capitalits? Not the Capitalists they had the government behind them as they sold out and abandoned Detroit and sold out to the highest bidders

The workers paid the price and the city collapsed

The workers also paid the price for the greed of the unions that insisted on crippling contracts.

The also paid the price for going onto the line in an industry that was bleeding jobs and thinking they had a job for life and didn't need to keep educating and training themselves in case the industry collapsed and they needed new skills.

They also paid the price for electing incompetence, cronyism, and corruption.

Now, the unions are somewhat more willing to view their role as one of partnership rather than confrontation.

Now, Detroit has a Mayor that actually knows what he's doing.

But my second point is still and issue. New jabs that are coming to the city (and there are new jobs, lots of them) need access to an appropriate talent pool. That takes time to develop, and many Detroiters need a job now. That's the disconnect.

The demise of Detroit is due to a myriad of problems and their is more then enough blame to go around. I mainly blame the city's linear economy for their present woes. Don't put all your eggs in one economic basket is the real lesson here. It was a lesson my city learned dearly when the steel industry collapsed but we diversified and have persevered as a result.
You must be in Pittsburgh.
Pittsburg is the anti-Detroit. Instead of blaming the rich and demonizing people they attracted new industries and played on their strengths. While Coleman Young was fathering the city mayors in Pittsburgh were trying to solve problems.

And that is what has now started in Detroit.

Let Democrats run a city for a few generation and not only do you run out of water but now electricity too! Once a world class city, the Paris of the Americas, Democrats managed to run the city into Third World shit hole status

Well done, Dems.

Well done!

Detroit working to restore power after system failure
Not democrats.Just blacks running ANYTHING fails. Look at African countries.All those natural resources and they are shit holes.

Forum List

Back