Probably some very stupid questions…

But then you are basically saying it moves instantaneously through that 4th dimension of space. So the movement through that space cannot be described. So adding the useless layer of the 4th dimension is not necessary and explains nothing, in this case.
Postclacs Demand Infallibility

Instantaneously or immediately is not a movement. I didn't "basically say" any such thing. In defense of the Quantum Quacks you worship, you have to twist any objections into meaninglessness.

Immediately literally means "no middle." Why would I say it moves immediately through the middle of its course?

Underlying (hypostasis) the 3 dimensions the maximum velocity is a light-year every three minutes. A dishonest objection, which I've actually heard from professor-lovers, is, "How can a year be three minutes?"

Last edited:
…but I’m gonna ask them, because that’s how I roll. These are some things that rattle around in my head, and remember “there is no such thing as a stupid question”, right? That’s what they always told me!

Ok, so, first up….

Do all photons move at the same speed? Can some photons move at different speeds or are all photons moving at the same speed? What causes them to have speed? What is their mechanism of propulsion? In other words, how do they move and what keeps them going?

edit I should note, please explain in layman’s terms…VEEERY layman’s terms. I’m just a normal person with some odd questions that I’d like to learn about but I’m not a physicist or anything like that. 😊
Questions :

1. Do all photons move at the same speed?
2. Can some photons move at different speeds or are all photons moving at the same speed?
3. What causes them to have speed?
4. What is their mechanism of propulsion? In other words, how do they move and what keeps them going?
5. What creates photons? ( Just more interesting Q )
Please use layman's terms if possible.

Answers :

1. Yes, all photons move at the same speed, which is the speed of light in a vacuum. This speed is approximately 299,792,458 meters per second or about 186,282 miles per second.

2. All photons move at the same speed because the speed of light is a fundamental constant of the universe. According to our current understanding, there is no evidence to suggest that some photons can move at different speeds.

3. Photons have speed because they are particles of light, and light is a form of electromagnetic radiation. The speed of light is determined by the properties of the electromagnetic field and the nature of spacetime itself.

4. Photons move in straight lines unless they are influenced by external factors, such as gravitational fields or interactions with other particles. They don't require any propulsive mechanism to move, as they are massless particles. Once created, they continue to travel indefinitely until they either interact with other particles or are absorbed.

5. Photons are created or emitted when certain types of particles, such as atoms or electrons, undergo specific energy transitions or interactions. These interactions can occur in various ways, such as when an electron in an excited state returns to a lower energy state or when charged particles accelerate. When these events happen, photons are released, carrying energy and information in the form of electromagnetic waves. This emission of photons is the fundamental process behind the creation of light. Here are a few examples:

5.1. Light Bulbs: Light bulbs, whether incandescent or LED, create photons by passing an electric current through a filament or semiconductor material respectively. The energy is converted into light, producing photons that we perceive as illumination.

5.2. Flashlights: Similar to light bulbs, flashlights use electrical energy to create photons by passing current through an incandescent bulb or an LED. The emitted photons allow us to see in low-light environments.

Well, that's the wrong question. There always "invisisble". When you "see" them, you are experiencing a biochemical reaction in your brainstarted by them impacting your rods and cones in your retina
Ok, that’s actually a very good explanation, you don’t see “color” you see wavelengths that your brain interprets as color. Sound about right? Which actually makes sense in that if you saw color, you wouldn’t be able to see anything at all because the air would be opaque with light…kinda. Instead you’re brain is just interpreting the energy and wavelength of the object light is reflecting off of.

Questions :

1. Do all photons move at the same speed?
2. Can some photons move at different speeds or are all photons moving at the same speed?
3. What causes them to have speed?
4. What is their mechanism of propulsion? In other words, how do they move and what keeps them going?
5. What creates photons? ( Just more interesting Q )
Please use layman's terms if possible.

Answers :

1. Yes, all photons move at the same speed, which is the speed of light in a vacuum. This speed is approximately 299,792,458 meters per second or about 186,282 miles per second.

2. All photons move at the same speed because the speed of light is a fundamental constant of the universe. According to our current understanding, there is no evidence to suggest that some photons can move at different speeds.

3. Photons have speed because they are particles of light, and light is a form of electromagnetic radiation. The speed of light is determined by the properties of the electromagnetic field and the nature of spacetime itself.

4. Photons move in straight lines unless they are influenced by external factors, such as gravitational fields or interactions with other particles. They don't require any propulsive mechanism to move, as they are massless particles. Once created, they continue to travel indefinitely until they either interact with other particles or are absorbed.

5. Photons are created or emitted when certain types of particles, such as atoms or electrons, undergo specific energy transitions or interactions. These interactions can occur in various ways, such as when an electron in an excited state returns to a lower energy state or when charged particles accelerate. When these events happen, photons are released, carrying energy and information in the form of electromagnetic waves. This emission of photons is the fundamental process behind the creation of light. Here are a few examples:

5.1. Light Bulbs: Light bulbs, whether incandescent or LED, create photons by passing an electric current through a filament or semiconductor material respectively. The energy is converted into light, producing photons that we perceive as illumination.

5.2. Flashlights: Similar to light bulbs, flashlights use electrical energy to create photons by passing current through an incandescent bulb or an LED. The emitted photons allow us to see in low-light environments.
I like this explanation, especially 5.1. It gives insight as to the way light enters the world.

So, electricity passes through a filament, and causes a change in electron states that then emit photons. Sound about right?

Ok, that’s actually a very good explanation, you don’t see “color” you see wavelengths that your brain interprets as color. Sound about right? Which actually makes sense in that if you saw color, you wouldn’t be able to see anything at all because the air would be opaque with light…kinda. Instead you’re brain is just interpreting the energy and wavelength of the object light is reflecting off of.

I've read someplace, can't remember where, that full 1/3 of the human brain is dedicated to vision ... I was a shutterbug as a kid and I learn early on that what my eye saw and what the camera saw were, sometimes, completely different ...

I can look at a building and see both walls are straight up-and-down ... I take a picture and the walls converge at the top ... my brain interprets "plumb", the camera doesn't ... c.f. view camera ...

I've read someplace, can't remember where, that full 1/3 of the human brain is dedicated to vision ... I was a shutterbug as a kid and I learn early on that what my eye saw and what the camera saw were, sometimes, completely different ...

I can look at a building and see both walls are straight up-and-down ... I take a picture and the walls converge at the top ... my brain interprets "plumb", the camera doesn't ... c.f. view camera ...
The Moon Illusion is a good example.

Look at the moon when it is near the horizon. Then take a picture. Compare the picture with what you think you saw.

I just wrote this up I hope it helps. ;)

Relativistic energy and momentum[edit]​

See also: Photon energy and Special relativity
The cone shows possible values of wave 4-vector of a photon. The "time" axis gives the angular frequency (rad⋅s−1) and the "space" axis represents the angular wavenumber (rad⋅m−1). Green and indigo represent left and right polarization
In empty space, the photon moves at c (the speed of light) and its energy and momentum are related by E = pc, where p is the magnitude of the momentum vector p. This derives from the following relativistic relation, with m = 0:[24]

�2=�2�2+�2�4 .
{\displaystyle E^{2}=p^{2}c^{2}+m^{2}c^{4}~.}

The energy and momentum of a photon depend only on its frequency (�
\nu
) or inversely, its wavelength (λ):

�=ℏ�=ℎ�=ℎ��
{\displaystyle E=\hbar \,\omega =h\nu ={\frac {\,h\,c\,}{\lambda }}}
�=ℏ� ,
{\displaystyle {\boldsymbol {p}}=\hbar {\boldsymbol {k}}~,}

where k is the wave vector, where

Since �
{\boldsymbol {p}}
points in the direction of the photon's propagation, the magnitude of its momentum is

�≡|�|=ℏ�=ℎ��=ℎ� .
{\displaystyle p\equiv \left|{\boldsymbol {p}}\right|=\hbar k={\frac {\,h\nu \,}{c}}={\frac {\,h\,}{\lambda }}~.}
So, discourteous by not answering OP's question in laymen's terms. Rachel Carson spins in the grave.

Forum List

Back