Pretty sure no one here cares, but I'm so damned proud of her

CWayne

Gold Member
Sep 4, 2019
So, two years ago, my middle daughter (really, my step-daughter but I don't do that step thing) was severely overweight. To the point that I really thought she would never see 40. You would have to see the picture, but I don't have permission to post it. Suffice it to say that she has lost nearly 250 pounds and she is only 5'4".

Anyway, she started exercising a few years ago, started eating vegan and picked up one of those run training apps. I think its an actual marathon trainer app.

The first year, she was walking in the gym on the treadmill and then started jogging. Late last autumn, she started running on a local walking trail and using this app in earnest and she ran her first 4k in Syracuse last November.

Two months ago, she ran her first half-marathon.

She is not fast by any means. She doesn't need to be. What she needs to do is finish. So far, she has managed to do just that with every challenge.

Today was the Empire State Marathon in Syracuse, NY.

26.2 miles.

I was concerned that she had bitten off more than she could handle. I seriously misjudged her will and desire.

If you'll permit me, I have a few images and a few vids I'll try to share. Later, if I get a chance, I have some vids of a regatta of crew rowing on at the University of Syracuse while we were waiting at the midpoint of the race for my daughter. At any rate, here is a little highlight of my day at the Empire State Marathon.

Forgive the quality of the vids and the images. I captured all of this on my phone and I've done no post-processing on any of it.

The start of the race:

Note, there was only a single wheelchair competitor. I did manage to get a glimpse of him as he made the turn for the final leg of the run and he was kicking it hard! I didn't get a photo or vid of that though.

Here is the end of the race. Now, a little explanation. Heather (my daughter) had added an app to her phone which allowed us to track her progress along the course as she ran. When she was within a half-mile, we moved to the front of the finish line. This is the lane they set up on the last 100 yards of the finish with crowd barriers. Well, I wanted to wait until she made the final turn, which was about a 1/4 mile away. I wanted to wave my arms so she could see we were there waiting.

I then needed to sprint to get behind the Start/Finish line. Well, the barrier didn't have an opening for me so I had to run an extra 100 yards to the runner entrance, then back another 70 yards to get behind the finish line to vid her arrive. I'm an old fat man and you'll hear my breathing hard as my wife runs out to hug Heather. So, no comments, thanks. LOL

Anyway, here is the finish of the run.

Finally, here is a pic of my oldest daughter with her youngest kid, Heather's husband, and the guy in the back is some homicidal maniac. Oh wait, that would be me.

dahoodnfamily.jpg

It has been a good day.

Congrats to your daughter for the will power to lose the wieght and manage to do the runs. Sometimes loosing weight can be more of a challenge then the marathons.

A few images...

Getting ready...

_gettingready.jpg

Early Morning ~ 7:30am

_beforetherace.jpg

_NBT Bank Stadium.jpg

At the 12 mile mark and just before the split. The race went down both sides of a big lake in Syracuse. I don't remember the name of the lake but the bridge they crossed was the one over the estuary for the Syracuse team rowing.

_heatherat12.jpg

_heatherat12miles.jpg

God bless her. You should be proud. There’s a lot of proud dads her.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That really is something to be proud of, CWayne. Good for her!

I myself, do not run unless there's a mad gaggle of dogs behind me or a bunch of cold beer in front of me.

That really is something to be proud of, CWayne. Good for her!

I myself, do not run unless there's a mad gaggle of dogs behind me or a bunch of cold beer in front of me.
I've been known to get some distance when the IRS is in town! lol

Forum List

Back